Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2483518 times)

ian

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #20975 on: 18 February, 2020, 08:34:03 pm »
Ubiquitous headwind, tunnelling density felt like about 22 squirrels/m3. Some spots of rain by Tooting Bec. Stop to cover bag. Gradual increase in the rain as I make merry with Becky Toots. Resume the A23 in Snorbs. WTAF. Wind, rain, apocalyptic stuff. Speedy boy on a skinny bike stormed (appropriately) by me and then stopped dead in the wind halfway up the hill after the station. I laughed for 0.35s and then cried. Or tried, my tears were blasted away and replaced with icy cold rainwater.

Gave up in Greater Croydonia, there was so much water on the road. Of course, it had all stopped by the time my train got home.

It didn't just build character, it then went and got a crane and swung a giant wrecking ball into it.

« Reply #20976 on: 18 February, 2020, 08:40:13 pm »
This apocalyptic stuff seems to have passed by The Forest on The Hill in its entirety.
Looking out of the window just now, I see dry streets with dry cars. ???

ian

« Reply #20977 on: 18 February, 2020, 10:38:04 pm »
I didn't bypass me. I saw another cyclist hiding around a corner, trying to shelter, probably sobbing for his mummy. It never works. The rain will find you. It is relentless. It won't stop.

ian

« Reply #20978 on: 19 February, 2020, 08:54:39 pm »
Today, I had a dead drop by Charing Cross, pootled back to Tower Bridge by fancy bike lane along the Embankment, daydreaming away. Came to around 200m from home. Well, it would have been had we not moved over six years ago.

That added a couple of kilometres extra.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #20979 on: 20 February, 2020, 01:05:02 pm »
...Came to around 200m from home. Well, it would have been had we not moved over six years ago.

;D
It's ages since I've done that, but it is 7 years since we last moved.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Paul

« Reply #20980 on: 20 February, 2020, 01:09:42 pm »
Headwind all the way this am. Sadly, the forecast is for a shift, so I'll be getting it from the left on the way home.

Something's up with the rear mech/cables. Shifting is currently rubbish. It can take 10+ seconds for the shift to occur after I've clicked by which time, often, it's too late. I'm currently clicking 2 or 3 times just to get the mech to move 1 sprocket, then clicking back to cancel the extra shifts before they kick in. The drivetrain has been horribly neglected, though. New cables and outers will be got.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #20981 on: 20 February, 2020, 01:54:06 pm »
Didn't keep on top of my chain tension and lost the chain on the fixed. Thankfully I wasn't going super quick and came safely to a stop. Sorted that out on the roadside...
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #20982 on: 20 February, 2020, 03:08:31 pm »
Well, yesterday... I hadn't been keeping on top of my chain tension either, under the mistaken impression that a chain tensioner would take good care of that. Not so - shanks pony to home and then the ghastly snot-infested Tube.

ian

« Reply #20983 on: 20 February, 2020, 07:50:07 pm »
...Came to around 200m from home. Well, it would have been had we not moved over six years ago.

;D
It's ages since I've done that, but it is 7 years since we last moved.

It was only when I turned into the road and noticed the gates, I thought, erm. I still remember the code. I did have a peek at my former domain, it's not fallen down.

My brain helpfully told me 'well, if we still lived here, you'd be home now."

Instead, the better part of another hour in spotty rain with a gusty headwind. Uphill.

And then I got home wet and cold to find that the heating wasn't on, because we'd been out at a concert the week before and set to 2130 on Wednesday. Bah.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #20984 on: 24 February, 2020, 08:18:02 am »
They'e patched up The Greenway! It felt weird not having to swerve and zig-zag around the potholes and broken surface bits, though this happy state of affairs won't last long judging by the truly professional job the highwaymen have made of it.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

spindrift

« Reply #20985 on: 27 February, 2020, 06:48:59 pm »
6 degrees and taters but Venus is massive and shiny just right of the moon, lovely to see!

« Reply #20986 on: 28 February, 2020, 08:49:24 am »
6 degrees and taters but Venus is massive and shiny just right of the moon, lovely to see!

Yes, I took the scenic route home last night and nearly crashed while admiring the Moon & Venus.

Incidentally on Wednesday morning one of my colleagues had a terrific sighting of a bunch of Elon Musk's StarLink satellites during his commute.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-50947661

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #20987 on: 02 March, 2020, 12:32:18 pm »
My route takes me along the A264, a dual carriageway between Horsham and Crawley.  Mostly it's ok with the occasional close pass.

This morning a huge slab sided coach slowed down to "only a bit faster than cyclist giving it beans" pace to overtake me, rather than zooming by at R17.

This was a Good Start to the week. I've even emailed them to say well done.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #20988 on: 02 March, 2020, 04:03:00 pm »
My route takes me along the A264, a dual carriageway between Horsham and Crawley.  Mostly it's ok with the occasional close pass.

This morning a huge slab sided coach slowed down to "only a bit faster than cyclist giving it beans" pace to overtake me, rather than zooming by at R17.

This was a Good Start to the week. I've even emailed them to say well done.

Nice to hear some good news for once.  :)

On my commute, I go past a depot out of which an appreciable number of huge trucks emerges during my commute. Without fail, the vehicles from this company (L&S Waste Management) wait patiently when it's not safe, then pass me giving a wide berth (so far at least). I've emailed them to thank them. Haven't had a reply, which is a pity.

« Reply #20989 on: 02 March, 2020, 07:59:13 pm »
ICE in large amounts today.  So glad I had the studded tyres on.  The mixture of roads still covered in puddles with mini-rivers crossing at regular intervals lead to whole sheets of ice at various spots.  I suspect that the awful state of the roads at least gave some sort of surface for tyres to grip on.

And

A white van man who overtook me forcing an oncoming car to do an emergency stop when there were 6-7 cars at the junction 200 yards away and a wider section in 50 yards!!

spindrift

« Reply #20990 on: 03 March, 2020, 08:29:14 pm »
Had to go up the Norfolk and Norwich hospital today. Loads of staff cycling to work on a separate cycle lane that crosses the main road in, and there are bike racks everywhere outside every entrance but the bikes are pretty basic:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3aWACYx1VXgYWxFi9

Most European cities have sedate Dutch bikes as utility bikes, we have the bog standard flat bar hard arse hybrid or MTB. No 'guards, often. That's not to diss any of those bikes in the picture, God bless them for riding in, but the bikes are a bit clarty and knackered. No tourers. Saw one fixie.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20991 on: 03 March, 2020, 10:46:45 pm »
Most European cities have sedate Dutch bikes as utility bikes, we have the bog standard flat bar hard arse hybrid or MTB. No 'guards, often. That's not to diss any of those bikes in the picture, God bless them for riding in, but the bikes are a bit clarty and knackered. No tourers. Saw one fixie.

I think it's a case of what's cheap and easy to obtain being what gets used as utility bikes.  The clue being in your use of the term 'bog standard'.

Go to sensible countries, and a 'bog standard' bike is quite different, if equally knackered.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #20992 on: 04 March, 2020, 09:00:07 am »
Today's Good Pass was from that much maligned subset of road user, the skip lorry.  Pretty much the same stretch of road as the coach pass mentioned up thread, the driver pulled all the way over into the right hand lane of the dual cabbageway. I like.

The Not So Good pass was the driver of the Small Black Car who having passed me on the final 30m(?) of approach to a roundabout, proceeded to drift across in front of me so I could have reached out and touched her wing mirror.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #20993 on: 04 March, 2020, 10:01:55 am »
Good and bad today. Left home a little late = bad. Nipped across the level crossing just as the lights came on = good. Had to fix a flat just the other side of the level crossing = bad (late for work).
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #20994 on: 04 March, 2020, 01:17:59 pm »
Dry commute both ways yesterday and dry again this morning. (No signs of a hosepipe ban just yet though)
Lovely morning to ride in today and am really liking the lengthening of the days (watching my garmin go from daytime display to night, vice versa) 
Very worn headset bearings is starting to make the handling funny. But have got a new frame at home to build up so I'm procrastinating on that.

« Reply #20995 on: 04 March, 2020, 09:28:01 pm »
Also had the Garmin light to dark on way in and out. Morning was one of the most beautiful I have seen. An incredible light just as the sun came up over slightly misty fields.

« Reply #20996 on: 13 March, 2020, 12:54:35 pm »
Probably my last commute to work for a while.  On Monday my "commuting" jeans got soaked again and so I used endura 3/4's bib shorts. I normally much prefer pockets and "looking normal" on my commute, but the 3/4 were great.  They dried out really quickly compared to my jeans. I felt faster.   If/when I resume commutes to work I think I'll make these my normal gear.

« Reply #20997 on: 13 March, 2020, 06:39:23 pm »
I always ask anyone who's stopped by the wayside fixing something if they have all they need (if possible). In my recent commute (coming up for three years at this gig) I had my first request for aid today. A chap on CS7 in the backroads near Elephant & Castle had run out of working thumbs when trying to get his tyre back on, so my fresh thumbs were able to oblige. (Halo duly self-applied.)
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #20998 on: 14 March, 2020, 11:06:54 am »
And, a couple of days ago, a black cab closed me down at a gap as he went past me so I gently (and I do mean that) patted the rear wing. Not a thump, but loud enough that he would have been able to hear it.

He rolled to a halt in the inevitable queue (a whole 100 yards away) and as I approached I saw the passenger side window roll down.

"Oh aye, here we go" I thought.

"Sorry pal !!  I was too close."

:-)
Rust never sleeps

Paul

« Reply #20999 on: 14 March, 2020, 10:20:07 pm »
Flip me sideways.