Author Topic: Cavendish story?  (Read 5717 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Cavendish story?
« Reply #25 on: 23 June, 2011, 02:31:11 pm »
The train makes it easier but he is more than capable without it. As he has shown many times.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #26 on: 23 June, 2011, 02:41:52 pm »
Remember <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4uavoneCuoM&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/4uavoneCuoM&rel=1</a>?  A long sprint on an uphill finish with a reduced train.  He could manage that, so he can manage whatever he gets dealt.

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #27 on: 23 June, 2011, 10:34:58 pm »
The problem with Sky's aim of a TdF win in 5 years, is that you need THE rider who is going to deliver it. It doesn't look like it will be Wiggins (be great if it was though), so where are they going to sign that rider? So, yes get Cav and go for some stage wins instead isa great move, I just don't see Cav in a team thats really going for the GC.

fuzzy

« Reply #28 on: 24 June, 2011, 09:45:40 am »
The problem with Sky's aim of a TdF win in 5 years, is that you need THE rider who is going to deliver it. It doesn't look like it will be Wiggins (be great if it was though), so where are they going to sign that rider? So, yes get Cav and go for some stage wins instead isa great move, I just don't see Cav in a team thats really going for the GC.

The 5 year plan still has 4 years left to run doesn't it? Last year was the first Sky TdF so it is still early days. Have faith.

David Martin

« Reply #29 on: 24 June, 2011, 09:48:24 am »
Thomas for a TdF win in about 5 years..

Wiggo is the best we have right now but there are some really good guys coming through.
Kennaugh is another great rider with potential.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #30 on: 24 June, 2011, 10:06:51 am »
Thomas for a TdF win in about 5 years..

I'll second that. I've always thought Brailsford was talking about Thomas rather than Wiggo when he made his five years claim.

Kennaugh is another great rider with potential.

Indeed. And Swifty to win the green jersey within five years? I reckon he'll give Cav a run for his money (unless they're on the same team...).

Mind you, so will Peter Sagan - shame he's not in the Tour this year.

Shame Degenkolb isn't in the Tour either, for that matter. Surely he'd be a great asset in Cav's leadout train?

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #31 on: 24 June, 2011, 10:17:21 am »

Shame Degenkolb isn't in the Tour either, for that matter. Surely he'd be a great asset in Cav's leadout train?

d.

Have you seen the size of him?! He'd never haul himself him over the mountains.  ;D

Agreed about Thomas and Kennaugh. The latter in particular seems to climb very well without being a pure climber.
a great mind thinks alike

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #32 on: 24 June, 2011, 10:33:40 am »
Isnt it nice to have some UK names whoare featuring in the tour and some real talent coming through.

David Martin

« Reply #33 on: 24 June, 2011, 02:15:57 pm »
I don't think Swift has the raw speed and accelleration of Cav but he can do better on tougher stages.

Interesting times ahead.

..d

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #34 on: 24 June, 2011, 02:47:06 pm »
So Sky are aiming for not only a TdF win in 5 years but a British TdF winner! That's a very tall order! Considering we have never even had a podium finish.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #35 on: 24 June, 2011, 02:51:57 pm »
So Sky are aiming for not only a TdF win in 5 years but a British TdF winner! That's a very tall order! Considering we have never even had a podium finish.

In business that's called a stretch target.  ;D

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #36 on: 27 June, 2011, 09:07:11 am »
Going back to the original topic... I have it on good authority that Cav will indeed be in Sky's colours next season.