Author Topic: Chafed bottom on long rides (text may be NSFW, contains description)  (Read 29028 times)

Re: Chafed bottom on long rides (text may be NSFW, contains description)
« Reply #75 on: 26 March, 2009, 08:09:48 am »
* BentMikey looks lovingly at his rolling deckchair.  Super comfy!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #76 on: 26 March, 2009, 10:02:17 am »
Don't look, Ethel!
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #77 on: 26 March, 2009, 06:32:39 pm »

Once I get my leather scrotum I have no trouble.

When does the Brooks logo appear ;D

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #78 on: 26 March, 2009, 08:54:04 pm »
I suppose this is the real reason some people don't want to make conversation at the start - it's that fear that someone will use it as an opportunity to show you the photos of their baboon-red arse that they took after their last ride.

Makes a change from pictures of the kids, I suppose. Do you think Damerell keeps a copy in his wallet?

simonp

« Reply #79 on: 26 March, 2009, 09:17:10 pm »
I suppose this is the real reason some people don't want to make conversation at the start - it's that fear that someone will use it as an opportunity to show you the photos of their baboon-red arse that they took after their last ride.

Makes a change from pictures of the kids, I suppose. Do you think Damerell keeps a copy in his wallet?

You could always ask.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #80 on: 26 March, 2009, 09:35:38 pm »
M u s t  r e s i s t  p o s t i n g  a  p i c t u r e.

H

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #81 on: 26 March, 2009, 10:17:50 pm »
M u s t  r e s i s t  p o s t i n g  a  p i c t u r e.

H

G'wan.... you know you want to!

I promise to examine it with due serious intent and not to just stash it away in my secret cache.  ;)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Tiger

« Reply #82 on: 01 April, 2009, 05:43:26 pm »
Hah! Your arse looks just like mine did when I had 'jock-itch'. Useful photo.
So I would hazard that you have a combined fungal and chafing issue.
Get it looked at and have some tests for thrush and stuff.
The fungal thing reponds to stuff like canestan, but it takes a bit of time.
You also need to change cycling shorts more often, and never re-use shorts that have been sweated in at all - they are bacterial soup for your sensitive abraded skin.
What others say about creme - it is quantity that matters - sit in a plop of antibacterial gloop that glues your arse to your shorts and inhibits bugs.
I have had really good results with surgical spirits as an after shower slosh every morning. Cools it all down and seems to harden up the skin a bit, stops the soreness starting off. 

« Reply #83 on: 01 April, 2009, 06:52:20 pm »

You are not the first person to say this, and I think it's next on my list of things to try.

I experimented with a change of saddle position for the Stevenage Start of Summertime. The stiffness in my right knee has largely disappeared as of today, but I won't be trying that again (I put it back up at the 50k cafe when it had become clear this was a non-starter).

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #84 on: 14 April, 2009, 02:25:42 pm »
You don't know what embarrassment is until the boiler repair man walks in just as you're looking at that photo.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #85 on: 14 April, 2009, 02:29:19 pm »
I saw that video, too! ;)
Getting there...

border-rider

« Reply #86 on: 14 April, 2009, 02:31:26 pm »

You are not the first person to say this, and I think it's next on my list of things to try.

Canestan do a sweat rash cream which has antifungal and antibacterial components.

I'm fortunate enough not to suffer much from your symptoms, but I have used it a couple of times in the past after riding long distances in warm & humid conditions

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #87 on: 14 April, 2009, 07:20:07 pm »
I saw that video, too! ;)
I was serious! The boiler repair man came back to fix what went wrong after they fixed it last week  ::-) and climbed down from the ladder and walked into the room just in time to see me tilting my head to get a better view of that photo.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #88 on: 14 April, 2009, 09:21:28 pm »
Uh-huh.  And then what happened? ;) ;D :-*
Getting there...

simonp

« Reply #89 on: 14 April, 2009, 10:27:30 pm »

Aha!  A what happened next quiz.

I'll start.

"Yours or someone else's?"

One ticket on the first flight to Bolivia please.

border-rider

« Reply #90 on: 14 April, 2009, 10:29:32 pm »

I'll start.

I'll play:

"Oh someone else's. Mine's much nicer than that  :-*

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #91 on: 14 April, 2009, 10:40:47 pm »

Once I get my leather scrotum I have no trouble.

When does the Brooks logo appear ;D

Never mind the logo, it's when they hammer those copper rivets in the eyes water ;)
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #92 on: 14 April, 2009, 10:49:57 pm »

I'll start.

"Ah, is that the end still of that 'jar of jam video' that's knocking around on the net?"
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #93 on: 16 April, 2009, 02:34:12 pm »
I can't believe I clicked the link.   At work.

Anyways, all good advice is upthread.    For me I found that I sweat profusely and it's the dried salt crystals that can cause chafing between the cheeks after >100 miles.

My solution is nothing more than a babywipe every 80 miles or so.   This can be used without having to remove the shorts, so is quite easy/discreet to do after a food stop in a quiet layby.

If I forget, and pain does start up (feels like razor blades slashing the area) then a tiny smear of sudocrem on the affected part gives me instant relief.  Note I say tiny whereas others up thread have said a handful.  All I find is required is enough of the greasy cream to stop the rubbing and allow the cheeks to slide again.  Too much and it makes the next babywipe moment messy.

After 200 miles a pair of fresh shorts is LOVELY!   Oohh I still get pleasant memories of changing into a new pair of shorts at that point.  <happy moment>

Having said that though, when I did my 600 the last 16 hours were in heavy rain and I finished in the same pair of shorts I started in, had forgotten about the wipes, and didn't need any cream.  I presume the rainwater was sufficient.

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #94 on: 16 April, 2009, 08:34:26 pm »
I can't believe I clicked the link.   At work.

Anyways, all good advice is upthread.    For me I found that I sweat profusely and it's the dried salt crystals that can cause chafing between the cheeks after >100 miles.

My solution is nothing more than a babywipe every 80 miles or so.   This can be used without having to remove the shorts, so is quite easy/discreet to do after a food stop in a quiet layby.

If I forget, and pain does start up (feels like razor blades slashing the area) then a tiny smear of sudocrem on the affected part gives me instant relief.  Note I say tiny whereas others up thread have said a handful.  All I find is required is enough of the greasy cream to stop the rubbing and allow the cheeks to slide again.  Too much and it makes the next babywipe moment messy.

After 200 miles a pair of fresh shorts is LOVELY!   Oohh I still get pleasant memories of changing into a new pair of shorts at that point.  <happy moment>

Having said that though, when I did my 600 the last 16 hours were in heavy rain and I finished in the same pair of shorts I started in, had forgotten about the wipes, and didn't need any cream.  I presume the rainwater was sufficient.

On 400s and over I use 'Siopel' cream, it is for preventing bed sores which it does by stopping the sweating  :thumbsup: just apply a bit at each control or when needed.

"just don't mix it up with the sun cream"  ::-) :-[
"Don't stop pedalling"

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #95 on: 22 April, 2009, 02:11:17 pm »
It is an interesting picture. Did you use a ring flash?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #96 on: 22 April, 2009, 02:38:21 pm »
More importantly, how is your bottom now?  What have you changed and has it worked?

« Reply #97 on: 22 April, 2009, 02:45:26 pm »
More importantly, how is your bottom now?  What have you changed and has it worked?

I have tried:

Adjusting saddle position downwards. Result: pain in right knee, which now seems to have largely gone away after two weeks.

Handwashing shorts with Dr Bronners (seems like a good idea anyway) and applying Canesten (since some of the more definitive responses said that's what a bum might look like when befungaled). Early to say yet, but I did about 160km in the course of getting to and (sigh) packing from the Witham Westerly, and had no problems at all, so... cautiously optimistic?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #98 on: 22 April, 2009, 02:59:39 pm »
It is an interesting picture. Did you use a ring flash?

That's scraping the bottom of the barrel, making him the butt of your jokes!
Getting there...

« Reply #99 on: 22 April, 2009, 03:03:55 pm »

I have tried:

Adjusting saddle position downwards. Result: pain in right knee, which now seems to have largely gone away after two weeks.

Handwashing shorts with Dr Bronners (seems like a good idea anyway) and applying Canesten (since some of the more definitive responses said that's what a bum might look like when befungaled). Early to say yet, but I did about 160km in the course of getting to and (sigh) packing from the Witham Westerly, and had no problems at all, so... cautiously optimistic?

Well done.  Cycling has to be comfortable or it becomes a chore.  Fingers crossed for you.