Author Topic: H+Son Archetype vs Hydra rims  (Read 2292 times)

H+Son Archetype vs Hydra rims
« on: 21 March, 2021, 09:26:01 am »
Morning all, I’m planning to treat myself to a new set of wheels for my disc braked daily ride and have settled on one of the above. The Archetype is intended for rim brake applications and is available in a 36h drilling whilst the Hydra is disc specific but 32h max.  I’m heavy, 110kg and ride on roads and occasionally v gentle gravel paths

Two questions, can anyone say if the Archetype cannot be built as a disc wheel and am I getting hung up unnecessarily on spoke count?

Thanks in advance

A

Re: H+Son Archetype vs Hydra rims
« Reply #1 on: 21 March, 2021, 09:30:44 am »
I have the Archetype built into a disc wheel, 36h, no issues in over 15 months. The Hydra is compatible with tubeless if that is of interest.

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #2 on: 21 March, 2021, 09:45:39 am »
No reason not to use the Archetype on a disc brake build/hub (I know somebody who used to run this combination), I guess you forfeit a bit of weight around the rim area where it's more heavily built but probably negligable. My preference would be 36 holes but I've been using 32 more recently because there's fewer hubs and rims available in 36 these days, it's been fine (not a light rider and I do carry quite a bit of gear).
I hadn't realised that Hydras were tubeless compatible

« Reply #3 on: 21 March, 2021, 11:43:55 am »
Don't know about the Hydra, but have a pair of 32h Archetype and they've been fine for my weight which is currently a bit lighter than you but has also been a bit heavier.  It's a rim brake bike and 32h because I already had the hubs. On some versions the braking surface is anodised so won't look odd with disc brakes, the silver is very shiny 8)
I'd prefer 36h but wouldn't put that or the small weight difference at the top of the list, what's the other differences?  Tubeless compatible without bodging and a little wider? Is that important to you?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 21 March, 2021, 05:42:44 pm »
I have Archetypes on one bike and Hydras on the other! But I'm using the Archetypes with rim brakes and they're both 32h, so no direct info. I'm pretty happy with both. Only comment would be that the lettering has worn off the Archetypes in one or two small places.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5 on: 21 March, 2021, 05:44:26 pm »
The Hydra is a bit wider than the Archetype, which might help with the strength?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 21 March, 2021, 05:47:50 pm »
It's definitely wider and I would think your desired tyre width would be an important factor, though there must be a good deal of overlap. I've got 28s on the Archetype and 38s (or 40s, they've got both markings???) on the Hydras.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 21 March, 2021, 06:21:33 pm »
Morning all, I’m planning to treat myself to a new set of wheels for my disc braked daily ride and have settled on one of the above. The Archetype is intended for rim brake applications and is available in a 36h drilling whilst the Hydra is disc specific but 32h max.  I’m heavy, 110kg and ride on roads and occasionally v gentle gravel paths

Two questions, can anyone say if the Archetype cannot be built as a disc wheel and am I getting hung up unnecessarily on spoke count?

I have the archetype setup on disks, have done something in the region of 8500km without any issues. I wasn't far off your weight at the heaviest. If you ask H+son, they claim no upper weight limit for these rims.

When I finished the wheels, people asked me why I didn't go for the hydra. The main reason was cos I didn't know the hydra existed, but on reflection, the hydra is heavier...

As for 32 vs 36. Check what you can find hub wise. In a lot of the hubs, they just don't make 36h versions. I run 32h, and have no issues.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #8 on: 21 March, 2021, 06:59:34 pm »
I rode on H+son archetype rims for about 15,000 km over 3-4 years with no issues (including one year where I did a double RTTY).  The all up weight of me and my bike was 120kg.  The only reason I'm not riding them now is that some scumbag removed the bike from the boot of my wife's car.  My current bike has Hydra rims with 32 spoke hubs.  No issues so far over 2,500 km (since August 2020).

« Reply #9 on: 22 March, 2021, 04:26:29 am »
Six year old front & back archetype 32h built for disc brakes with over 25,000kms, all good except the rear developed a buckle when I was hit by a truck, shop tried to true it but was too much so new rim, I took slightly longer to repair.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #10 on: 22 March, 2021, 10:28:49 am »
35,000 km in a year on 32 hole Hydras, all-up weight of a bit over 100 kg (me plus bike plus touring kit), over some decidedly dodgy foreign roads and giving them a touring level of maintenance.  The front wheel is still in use, the rear got replaced when I got home but I suspect it would still be in use if it hadn't been for Central Asian washboard.