Author Topic: [HAMR] Feb 1st  (Read 7601 times)

[HAMR] Feb 1st
« on: 01 February, 2015, 05:17:57 am »
The man is on the road again and heading for Salisbury (I think).

Sorry but not sure of his route after that for now.

Re: Feb 1st
« Reply #1 on: 01 February, 2015, 05:49:32 am »
Cold out again, my thingy outside says 3oc feels colder, just off to start my ride at denmead  have a good day Steve.

« Reply #2 on: 01 February, 2015, 07:00:25 am »
He seems to have had a bit of trouble finding his way out of Christchurch towards Fordingbridge :facepalm:  looks like he's back on track now, though :thumbsup:

The Audaxhackney tracker looked like he was going all over the place (grey actual travelled lines, rather than the blue track point to track point line), but looking at the Trackleaders version, it looks like he was OK :thumbsup:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

TGS

« Reply #3 on: 01 February, 2015, 07:47:20 am »
I think it is because he has followed a bit of road / bike track that google maps doesn't think exists - in this case he'll have followed the sea front in Bournemouth. (The start of the Bournemouth Square Audax). The route guessing thingy gets confused.

« Reply #4 on: 01 February, 2015, 07:52:34 am »
Looks like he's on the Hungerford - Aldbourne - Shrivenham route today.  I'm heading on a ride to Hungerford with Bianchiboy, so will hopefully catch up with him again today :D
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 01 February, 2015, 08:33:33 am »
Dear lord, the man has guts.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6 on: 01 February, 2015, 09:30:13 am »
Dear lord, the man has guts.

It's always the quiet ones, isn't it?

In awe of his focus and strength.
Milk please, no sugar.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 01 February, 2015, 10:00:50 am »
New month; renewed strength.

Go Steve!
Getting there...

« Reply #8 on: 01 February, 2015, 10:08:43 am »
31 days and one month down and there's absolutely no sign of anything but even more of the same.   Steve's single-minded dedication and relentless pursuit of this challenge is truly mind-boggling.   Much respect and admiration is well earned.

Pedal on Steve.   We're all behind you - way, way behind you!   :D   :thumbsup:

« Reply #9 on: 01 February, 2015, 01:27:08 pm »
100 miles already today by lunch---great going and especially as you`re heading back into a stiff headwind; my 35 miles this morning was difficult enough  :facepalm: so great great respect for your determination and endurance  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #10 on: 01 February, 2015, 01:54:02 pm »
Missed Steve today....by a whisker!  Me, Bianchiboy and Graeme (who we bumped into at the Tuttipole) rode up to Shrivenham and then towards Stanford in the Vale & reckoned Steve was about 5 minutes ahead, so we decided to head for pub instead ;D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #11 on: 01 February, 2015, 03:09:11 pm »
Late start for the Lord of the Jungle today ???  The tracker had him doing thirty yards then stopping for three hours.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #12 on: 01 February, 2015, 03:50:59 pm »
Yay, saw and rode with Steve for a bit, from East Hanney to Steventon.   :thumbsup:

I spotted that he was likely to be heading for the Vale again today, so set off hoping to see him as he arrived in East Hanney.  On the way out from Steventon battling a bit of a headwind, I saw group of cyclists appear going in the other direction, and wondered if Steve had gathered a crowd, but as they went past I saw MattC and some other DPCC (?) riders.   :)   I carried on to East Hanney, and around two minutes after stopping in a side road I saw Steve appear.  Gave him a shout (of encouragement), and cycled behind trying to maintain a decent distance.  About mid way to Steventon, the road work lights turned red.  Yes!   I had a brief chat to Steve, saying what an amazing month he'd had, then wished him well as the lights turned.  Cycled behind Steve until Steventon, where he pulled away on the way to Drayton.  Last saw him as he cycled down towards Sutton Courtenay.  Looked at my HRM max 178bpm, and thought of Steve's <100bpm.   ;) 

From my headcam - screenshot.

Steve by ao, on Flickr

P1250547 by ao, on Flickr

I can post the video footage somewhere, if anyone can advise on what to do with 720p 60fps .avi footage   :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #13 on: 01 February, 2015, 04:52:30 pm »
Looks like we may be in for the first Marsh Gibbon of a new month soon :)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #14 on: 01 February, 2015, 05:09:22 pm »
A good weekend of Steve chasing....a bit like the storm chasing that goes on in America I suppose ;D. It certainly got me out and about, with 257k in the legs this weekend :thumbsup:

The road from Hungerford to the top of the downs just before Shrivenham was really, really tough....up hill with block headwind, but good exercise nonetheless.  Steve took a different route out of Aldbourne to Shrivenham which I suspect was more sheltered for him.

He's now got good flatish roads & a strong wind blocking him from his rear left side, so he should have a good ride back home now.

Cheers,

Peter.

« Reply #15 on: 01 February, 2015, 05:26:42 pm »
Knowing that Steve was out doing whatever distance he'll do today was the only thing that kept me going on my (1.5 hour!) ride in that freezing cold wind. It felt a hell of a lot colder that the air temperature would indicate today. Go Steve!!

« Reply #16 on: 01 February, 2015, 05:35:53 pm »
I got some idea of the pace Steve rides at, since on the flat between much of East Hanney to Steventon I was doing an average of 32+km/h (max of 38 for me) behind him.   Not surprisingly (for me) he disappeared into the distance after Steventon.

« Reply #17 on: 01 February, 2015, 05:38:29 pm »
We talk about Steve's bikes and equipment, but equally important I'd have thought is his clothing.
Strange, I was thinking of him yesterday when I was painting the back of a bloody cold butchers shop! [how nice it was too] I was wearing this dirty old hoody sweat shirt thing I've had lying about, and was immediately stuck what a difference it made to have your neck covered from the cold [not something I've paid any attention too in the past]  - and that made me think of our man on the road. Certainly for me, all the pictures of Steve have been characterized by the way his got himself nicely wrapped up with only facial skin showing - we havn't seen him otherwise yet have we?. A very wise thing I'd say! You've only got to have one part of you exposed and it could be disastrous out there for long days like that.

Hard earned miles again today...but at least it's been dry.
Keep on keeping on good Sir.
Garry Broad

TGS

« Reply #18 on: 01 February, 2015, 05:44:53 pm »
Nice photo's Andy, Thanks

I can post the video footage somewhere, if anyone can advise on what to do with 720p 60fps .avi footage   :)

Handbrake (free, availabe for linux, mac and that other OS) to shrink it to a reasonable size / different format, then Youtube if you have an account, or dropbox / picassa / any shareable hosting platform

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #19 on: 01 February, 2015, 05:50:33 pm »
We talk about Steve's bikes and equipment, but equally important I'd have thought is his clothing.

I'd like to know what he's got on his feet in particular.  I was wearing Sealskinz socks, cycling shoes and Vaude covers today in 1°C and my feet were freezing.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #20 on: 01 February, 2015, 06:17:31 pm »
Nice photo's Andy, Thanks

Handbrake (free, availabe for linux, mac and that other OS) to shrink it to a reasonable size / different format, then Youtube if you have an account, or dropbox / picassa / any shareable hosting platform

Thanks TGS, will give that a go.

« Reply #21 on: 01 February, 2015, 06:21:31 pm »
I'd like to know what he's got on his feet in particular.  I was wearing Sealskinz socks, cycling shoes and Vaude covers today in 1°C and my feet were freezing.

See:
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=87451.50

"Steve's been using the following to keep hands and feet working in the recent arctic conditions:

Trespass gloves - he rates them highly and hasn't used an inner liner:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trespass-Ergon-Thinsulate-Ski-Glove/dp/B00FC4Q9TK

Thick neoprene overshoes:

http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/ProductRange/Product/Default.aspx?pc=2&pt=77&pg=9280

Chapeau merino socks.

Proven by the mileage monster!"

« Reply #22 on: 01 February, 2015, 07:01:36 pm »
Nearly 14 hours in the saddle, a lot of it into winds gusting up to 40 mph, 165 miles on the clock, in sight of home (could almost smell the sausages sizzling), and what does he do???  He turns away back into the wind to put a few more miles down before bedtime.

What a man  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23 on: 01 February, 2015, 07:04:18 pm »
A good weekend of Steve chasing....a bit like the storm chasing that goes on in America I suppose ;D.

* Kim pictures a van bristling with GPS antennas, anemometers and sausages.  With a track pump in the back and a toy gibbon hanging from the rear-view mirror.

« Reply #24 on: 01 February, 2015, 07:42:47 pm »
A good weekend of Steve chasing....a bit like the storm chasing that goes on in America I suppose ;D.

* Kim pictures a van bristling with GPS antennas, anemometers and sausages.  With a track pump in the back and a toy gibbon hanging from the rear-view mirror.
;D