Author Topic: [HAMR] February 11th  (Read 6484 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
[HAMR] February 11th
« on: 11 February, 2015, 05:37:29 am »
...and he is off!

It is simpler than it looks.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: February 11th
« Reply #1 on: 11 February, 2015, 06:13:22 am »
...and he is off!

The remarkable lean mean red machine!!   Well done Jaded.  Wither TG today?  Another Double Gibbon?
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #2 on: 11 February, 2015, 06:15:10 am »
He is hoping for a 200, and is roughly retracing his route, so a double Gibbon is possible!

Chris S

« Reply #3 on: 11 February, 2015, 07:08:09 am »
Is the row of dancing cheerleaders with pompoms and infeasibly long legs, and the brass band just out of shot then, Jaded?  :D

GO STEVE!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 11 February, 2015, 07:21:17 am »
Great pics, Jaded.

I continue in amazement.  Love Steve's Red Trousers, too.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5 on: 11 February, 2015, 07:53:07 am »
The whole thing really is beyond my comprehension.

In conversation with friends (who generally aren't couch potatoes and one or two of whom cycle) I mention that someone is having a crack at this record and then ask them what they think the existing record is.

Answers are generally in the 20,000 - 30,000 mark, after some careful consideration.

When I give them the actual figure the initial response is one of surprise, followed by a few moments of deep thought, and then, when they've translated this into a daily mileage figure, one of utter disbelief. I have to say that that's how I first viewed it too.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #6 on: 11 February, 2015, 08:22:20 am »
When I give them the actual figure the initial response is one of surprise, followed by a few moments of deep thought, and then, when they've translated this into a daily mileage figure, one of utter disbelief. I have to say that that's how I first viewed it too.

A common reaction with some of my friends/relatives is: "No, that's impossible. Even the pros on the TdF don't ride that far each day" uttered with an air of great seriousness and self-confidence  ;)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 11 February, 2015, 08:25:54 am »
I can remember being mildly amazed on hearing Jalabert say that between October and January he had put in 14,000 km. He used to overwinter in Morocco, though.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 11 February, 2015, 08:41:03 am »
If Steve set off south through France & Spain, he could be in Morocco in no time at all. :)

Getting there...

« Reply #9 on: 11 February, 2015, 09:44:39 am »
A bit of a random walk(ride) south of Cirencester at the moment.  Waiting for the sausages to sizzle in the cafe?

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
« Reply #10 on: 11 February, 2015, 10:42:23 am »
If Steve set off south through France & Spain, he could be in Morocco in no time at all. :)

He could, although think he'd prefer Gibraltar. To hang out with the monkeys!

« Reply #11 on: 11 February, 2015, 10:52:52 am »
Now that we are into the 2nd month of this challenge, I think it really says something about the enormity of the challenge when even seasoned high mileage rides like many on this forum are still struggling to get their / our heads around what Steve and Kurt are doing.

If we are struggling...what chance Joe Normal in the street???

« Reply #12 on: 11 February, 2015, 11:19:11 am »
A bit of a random walk(ride) south of Cirencester at the moment.  Waiting for the sausages to sizzle in the cafe?
It's a real maze of lanes around there. I always get lost too!

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #13 on: 11 February, 2015, 11:25:33 am »
Now that we are into the 2nd month of this challenge, I think it really says something about the enormity of the challenge when even seasoned high mileage rides like many on this forum are still struggling to get their / our heads around what Steve and Kurt are doing.

Indeed, Steve has already done more miles this year than my highest ever annual mileage

« Reply #14 on: 11 February, 2015, 11:47:17 am »

Steven Abraham is a good man,
He rides his bicycle now and then.
When he rides it , he makes it dance,
all round England and into France,
Out of France, into Spain.
Then he rides it back again.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #15 on: 11 February, 2015, 12:20:40 pm »

Aren't they Marsh Baboons?
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

« Reply #16 on: 11 February, 2015, 12:22:01 pm »

Aren't they Marsh Baboons?

Barbary macaque.

A small primate with toilet roll is a

Wipeaway macaque.

An old Gibraltar visitor joke.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #17 on: 11 February, 2015, 12:36:52 pm »

Indeed, Steve has already done more miles this year than my highest ever annual mileage

He'll do the same to me either late tonight or first thing tomorrow.  But I'm keeping that quiet from Mrs CET - whaddya mean you spent 42 whole days cycling  :facepalm:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18 on: 11 February, 2015, 01:05:40 pm »
Just reloaded the various tracker pages. Crikey. What did Steve have in his tea this morning?

« Reply #19 on: 11 February, 2015, 01:30:11 pm »
Just reloaded the various tracker pages. Crikey. What did Steve have in his tea this morning?

He got tangled in a water ski rope.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #20 on: 11 February, 2015, 01:40:34 pm »
Bloody mosquitoes.

« Reply #21 on: 11 February, 2015, 01:43:40 pm »

I notice that the audaxclubhackney tracker didn't get out of bed as early as Steve did this morning

« Reply #22 on: 11 February, 2015, 01:44:34 pm »
Steve just cycled past around 1.5mls from here -  a departure from his normal via Steventon, ValeWH route...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #23 on: 11 February, 2015, 02:24:43 pm »

I sent him off with 5 Nespresso shots  ;D

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #24 on: 11 February, 2015, 02:56:14 pm »
The mileage on the tracker looks a bit low for what it should be at this time of the day.  Have his perambulations around the Cotswold Water Park confused the system?

He's also taking a hillier track today - I've done the A417 through Blewbury on tired legs quite a few times - perhaps that's a sign he's getting stronger (hard concept to consider but...)