Author Topic: [HAMR] Feb 15th  (Read 6005 times)

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
[HAMR] Feb 15th
« on: 15 February, 2015, 06:15:48 am »
The boy is on the go and heading North West.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

hillbilly

Re: Feb 15th
« Reply #1 on: 15 February, 2015, 08:06:43 am »
Is there a place where we can see a heat map of Steve's rides? 

Hope Steve has a jolly good ride.  The weather is more benign and the daylight hours are lengthening.  Despite Kurt's heroics yesterday, Steve could easily tally up more miles than his USAian nemesis / soul brother.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 15 February, 2015, 08:10:14 am »
These rides of his are a real geography lesson. He's only 36 miles out of MK but he is very close to Leamington Spa. It always seemed a lot further than that when my daughter lived there!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

red marley

« Reply #3 on: 15 February, 2015, 08:16:08 am »
Is there a place where we can see a heat map of Steve's rides? 

As of Feb 14th:

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #4 on: 15 February, 2015, 09:09:32 am »
I don't know how he does it, up before dawn every day and pushing on over these dark cold roads?

Steve you are extraordinary. 
Milk please, no sugar.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 15 February, 2015, 09:35:17 am »
+1.  When I opened the shutters this morning a damp NE wind nearly had one of them out of my hand, so I decided that I'd better rest my poor sore back.

I noticed that Steve did something like 1800 m over his 300 yesterday, which is pretty well par for a BRM. Doing that every day is miraculous.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6 on: 15 February, 2015, 10:49:23 am »
Jo, your beautiful graphic gives me the perfect opportunity to air the thought I had the other day -
I'm curious why Steve hasn't gone that far east yet, leaving the majority of Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk untouched? I'm sure that will change as the weather does. Still plenty of time left!
Garry Broad

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #7 on: 15 February, 2015, 10:54:07 am »
Too hilly.  ;)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #8 on: 15 February, 2015, 11:36:57 am »
Trips towards the east are on this weeks schedule.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #9 on: 15 February, 2015, 12:46:07 pm »
Not far off 100 miles for the day already.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 15 February, 2015, 01:05:53 pm »
Jo, your beautiful graphic gives me the perfect opportunity to air the thought I had the other day -
I'm curious why Steve hasn't gone that far east yet, leaving the majority of Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk untouched? I'm sure that will change as the weather does. Still plenty of time left!

I suspect major potential wind issues would deter Steve from using the flatlands early in the year.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #11 on: 15 February, 2015, 02:25:39 pm »
Personally I live on the edge of the fens and reluctantly go riding there. The wind can be a killer but for me the risk from fast drivers on the long straight roads is higher.
Not sure if its that drivers just slow down less out here but have had more near misses out there than the whole of the rest of uk riding.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 15 February, 2015, 02:38:49 pm »
He's been along that soul-destroying stretch at Forty Foot Bank enough times.  That should be enough fens for anyone.   :hand:

« Reply #13 on: 15 February, 2015, 02:44:01 pm »

Wind.  The Fens are very exposed and the wind is worse than riding uphill if it's against you.

« Reply #14 on: 15 February, 2015, 03:13:21 pm »

I suspect major potential wind issues would deter Steve from using the flatlands early in the year.

But he's already used them! Loads! The question was why not Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex (none of which are in The Fens - except for little bits of Norfolk and Suffolk). I would suspect the answer is he hasn't got around to it yet/doesn't want to ride there at the moment....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #15 on: 15 February, 2015, 03:22:34 pm »
An Essex SR series is to come

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16 on: 15 February, 2015, 03:31:57 pm »
Having to do someone's SR to get into PBP must be irksome. The lad deserves a bye, or a special invitation.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #17 on: 15 February, 2015, 04:01:54 pm »
Wind.  The Fens are very exposed and the wind is worse than riding uphill if it's against you.

This ^^^^.  I recall heading north from the Huntingdon control across the flatlands on the 2006 South Then North with Laid Back Rich otp.  Struggling to maintain 14km/h in spite of being on the Dark Side.  The following year there was a tailwind on that stretch; Tony Someone and I were cruising at 35 km/h wihile barely revving above tickover.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #18 on: 15 February, 2015, 04:34:21 pm »
Had a chat with Steve today when he stopped for a pee at the picnic site alongside the River Avon in Pershore. He was in good spirits, downing a caffeine drink to help keep him awake, and feeling warm cos he's still wearing his 'fit for -8 degrees' outfit. Gentle winds today, which he's grateful for, heading back to MK after lunch at the Hop Pole in Tewkesbury. Will try to add pictures/video, but it may take some time...
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #19 on: 15 February, 2015, 05:22:32 pm »
Let's see if this works:

Clearly not, but I've got the pics on flickr - any advice on how to get them on here?

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #20 on: 15 February, 2015, 05:28:10 pm »
I'll tell you what, let's do it the old fashioned way:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33770461@N02/sets/72157650822339322/

Any advice on posting pictures much appreciated - I'm sure I've done it in the past

You can see where my name comes from. My new Rourke (due next month) is going to be the same colour as the car. No, not dirty, but pearlescent white - looks great when it's clean

« Reply #21 on: 15 February, 2015, 05:30:19 pm »
Let's see if this works:

Clearly not, but I've got the pics on flickr - any advice on how to get them on here?

You could post a link to the album on flickr.

All we will be able to see is the pics and your flickr username.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #22 on: 15 February, 2015, 05:52:21 pm »
DSCF3441 by alfapete, on Flickr

There you go Alfapete - From the picture page choose the rightwards up pointing arrow (lower right of picture), select BB code, select the size of the picture, copy and paste the URL

« Reply #23 on: 15 February, 2015, 05:59:24 pm »
Looks like any ordinary cyclist when you consider  he's doing something so extraordinary.  I think he should have his own tour De France caravan. 

Roll on Teeth grinder !!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24 on: 15 February, 2015, 06:03:40 pm »
There's a man who'll be glad when shorts/jersey time comes round again.