Author Topic: [HAMR] March 8th  (Read 3501 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
[HAMR] March 8th
« on: 08 March, 2015, 05:12:26 am »
Looks like he's underway.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: March 8th
« Reply #1 on: 08 March, 2015, 05:20:57 am »
Indeed! You are up early m'dear! (Bladder o'clock for me.)

As a matter of curiosity, Steve has another 62583 miles to go and the "run rate" is now 209.308 miles per day.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2 on: 08 March, 2015, 05:26:22 am »
I seem to be waking up at 6am German time since this wretched flu... And my first thought is whether Steve is already underway. He always is!!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #3 on: 08 March, 2015, 05:33:40 am »
Oh dear! GWS...

I've been on these annoying water tablets for 3 weeks (it's an attempt, I think partially successful, to reduce the swelling in my left calf) and I was quite dehydrated after yesterday's ride. I needed no fewer than 3 hedge stops before I got to Battlesbridge! I had a pint of lemon squash at bed time.

Anyway, back to sleep.

Good luck Steve!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 08 March, 2015, 07:22:18 am »
Go Steve!
Getting there...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 08 March, 2015, 08:11:05 am »
Yes, go to it, lad!
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6 on: 08 March, 2015, 08:13:02 am »
Wowbagger  you are absolutely right that 62583 have still to be covered meaning at least 210 mls per day are needed.  let us hope he will soo be doing OVER 200 per day and not under with dry and much longer hours of dayligh.  as posted recently he will up that by choosing faster roads
 :thumbsup:-

« Reply #7 on: 08 March, 2015, 09:40:02 am »
50-50 chance of seeing Steve pass the end of our lane this morning - but he went straight on to Aylesbury and not right. Looks like a Tesco breakfast on the Bicester road at the moment.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #8 on: 08 March, 2015, 09:59:23 am »
Steve is still increasing his lead over Tommy at the same stage. I'd like to see Steve put in a series of days ahead of the asking rate. Tommy had an absolutely explosive burst from May onwards and I certainly wouldn't want the year's struggle to be based on having to emulate that day-to-day.

The weather is very good at the moment. Make hay when the sun shines!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9 on: 08 March, 2015, 10:46:57 am »
Indeed! You are up early m'dear! (Bladder o'clock for me.)

As a matter of curiosity, Steve has another 62583 miles to go and the "run rate" is now 209.308 miles per day.

If something terrible happens will the UMCA have to use the Duckworth-Lewis Method to determine the winner?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #10 on: 08 March, 2015, 11:33:42 am »
I dip in and out of these threads when I get chance to and am always delighted (no, really) to see forum members posting encouraging comments long after the forum frenzy of January has died down. Long may that continue  :thumbsup:

For those of us who are preparing for a lesser goal this year in the form of PBP, 200km all of a sudden seems like a fun day out whereas on pretty much every weekend in the previous 8 1/2 weeks it would have been/has been bloody hard work. In that time, Steve was pushing out 180-230 miles every day.  How do you think he can do this?

Is it his riding style, his bike, the method he uses, the support of his family, the saddle he sits on, his diet or gearing? Is it his background, his lifestyle choices, his job, his background?

Or is it just because he is 'Steve'?

The man has been dreaming of undertaking this challenge for years. As far as we are aware, his plan, mileage, routes, mindset and method have been faultless to date and I have no doubt that he will complete this challenge by some margin.

GO STEVE

H

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #11 on: 08 March, 2015, 11:51:08 am »
Hear, hear, Hummers.

As the year grinds on Steve grinds on in a titanic feat of endurance most of us can't even imagine.

GO STEVE!
Milk please, no sugar.

red marley

« Reply #12 on: 08 March, 2015, 11:59:30 am »
The weather is very good at the moment. Make hay when the sun shines!

That's what I thought as I rode out from London to Dunmow this morning...until I had to turn round back into the wind.

March windiness is nothing exceptional, but I think it can slow riding speed down more significantly than say moderate cold or dark. I'm glad Steve is not using motorised transfers, but I can see why one might be tempted.

« Reply #13 on: 08 March, 2015, 12:11:32 pm »
How do you think he can do this?
That is one question.
Another question is, "How do you think he can keep doing this?"

Both of which I am at a complete and utter loss to even attempt an answer.

Is it his riding style, his bike, the method he uses, the support of his family, the saddle he sits on, his diet or gearing? Is it his background, his lifestyle choices, his job, his background?
Maybe all of those.
Or is it just because he is 'Steve'?
That must be it!
Garry Broad

« Reply #14 on: 08 March, 2015, 12:34:56 pm »
Good luck for today Steve, hope you get some friendly tail winds to push you along when you need them :)  :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others

« Reply #15 on: 08 March, 2015, 12:45:45 pm »
When looking at Jo's visualisation, it just struck me that 3 miles a day difference at this stage makes 1,000 over the year. That another mind blowing perspective.

« Reply #16 on: 08 March, 2015, 04:34:14 pm »
I see that he's just turned into the wind at Alconbury. It's a long way back to Milton Keynes into that south-westerly. Today I was fed up with the block headwind after just four hours; I can't imagine how Steve has the patience to grind away into it day after day.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #17 on: 08 March, 2015, 04:38:19 pm »
I think Steve is used to headwinds by now.  He's probably done more headwind riding so far than most of us do in a couple of years.  Following the tracker on a daily basis, it feels like he's about 10 - 15 miles per day quicker now than he was back in January - the 190s and 200s are coming easier. 

The real difference will start to come as the days warm up properly - March isn't a particularly warm month, and as other correspondents have observed, is often a windy one.  So I think the 250+ days will come later, but am confident that Steve has got it worked out.

GO STEVE
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #18 on: 08 March, 2015, 08:55:50 pm »
Now up on Strava: 200.3 miles

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #19 on: 08 March, 2015, 09:03:35 pm »
Very impressive - again.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #20 on: 08 March, 2015, 09:17:39 pm »
Now up on Strava: 200.3 miles

Spot on  :thumbsup:

H

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #21 on: 08 March, 2015, 09:18:22 pm »
Cripes  :o
Milk please, no sugar.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #22 on: 08 March, 2015, 09:19:59 pm »
Good. Now to keep banging in those 200+ days.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #23 on: 08 March, 2015, 09:24:28 pm »
Brilliant, well done Steve  :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others

« Reply #24 on: 08 March, 2015, 09:28:40 pm »
Good to see more than 200 miles....great stuff :thumbsup:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.