Author Topic: [HAMR] Speculation  (Read 15637 times)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: Speculation
« Reply #100 on: 31 March, 2015, 03:16:11 pm »
How's the bike?

I'm glad someone has a sense of what's important here. I've not been following Steve's progress for a couple of days so I've spent the last hour catching up on threads since Sunday and this question has been nagging at me. Can't believe no one has raised it sooner.

I know.  I thought we all considered ourselves real cyclists here, and yet we're all talking about Steve's ankle and the record attempt, and not one of us has inquired as to the state of his machine.  We should all hang our heads in shame at this dreadful omission. 

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #101 on: 31 March, 2015, 03:22:25 pm »
Yebbut... The original tweet said 'Steve+bike are fine'.

OK, Steve isn't as fine as originally thought.....

How's the bike?
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #102 on: 31 March, 2015, 03:26:38 pm »
... and were the sausages in his back pocket OK?
9 miles SW of Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #103 on: 31 March, 2015, 03:41:35 pm »
Early calls on FB for a physio made me assume that it was a back, knee or Achilles issue. That was reinforced by the references to a big headwind day. Comments prior to the news of the collision tended to confirm that view.

« Reply #104 on: 31 March, 2015, 05:14:00 pm »
in my experience, insurance companies are only obliged to pay 1/4 of the new bike's price, if it has been used. say you commute on a £400 bike, get knocked off and your bike mangled and are entitled to only £100 compensation for the bike - that's what i was advised by ctc solicitors.

Crikey that seems a bit of a poor show by the CTC solicitors.

May be things have changed since I was hit by a car in 2004. My bike was 6 months old and cost £500 new, I also claimed £250 towards damaged clothing etc.

First offer I got was £400 for the bike and then they started saying that used items of clothing were not really worth much and that they didn't have to pay the cost of new ones - so I wouldn't be getting much for the damaged clothing.

After a bit of discussion and the threat of taking the matter to a solicitor (I was dealing with the insurers direct), I received the full cost of the bike and full cost for new clothing. Personal injury compensation was in addition to this as well.

« Reply #105 on: 31 March, 2015, 06:36:04 pm »
in my experience, insurance companies are only obliged to pay 1/4 of the new bike's price, if it has been used. say you commute on a £400 bike, get knocked off and your bike mangled and are entitled to only £100 compensation for the bike - that's what i was advised by ctc solicitors.

May be things have changed since I was hit by a car in 2004. My bike was 6 months old and cost £500 new, I also claimed £250 towards damaged clothing etc.

First offer I got was £400 for the bike and then they started saying that used items of clothing were not really worth much and that they didn't have to pay the cost of new ones - so I wouldn't be getting much for the damaged clothing.

After a bit of discussion and the threat of taking the matter to a solicitor (I was dealing with the insurers direct), I received the full cost of the bike and full cost for new clothing. Personal injury compensation was in addition to this as well.

I'm not sure how this fits in but I had a £700 2nd hand MTB stoled out of my garage and The insurance paid out "New for Old" plus another £700+ for the extras attached (milo / lights etc) and upgrades. Total pay out was £3200 -Excess.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #106 on: 31 March, 2015, 06:42:14 pm »
Ankle + cycling = tricky.

Often. Not always.  I sometimes get problems walking after a bad fracture, I am very thankful cycling is really only rarely impacted.
^
^
This.
When I tore the ligaments in my ankle (Ok, so not a fracture) walking was difficult, cycling less so.
The physio treating me at the sports clinic I attended, advised getting back on the bike as soon as I felt able..
Being clipped in meant that my ankle was only going to rotate through the plane that it is supposed to, and I was more likely to twist it again by walking.
Of course, the advice Steve receives may differ.

I had a mild sprain (which never had any formal attention) after I came off a high heel at an A&E Department night out.
Cycling was OK when walking was more difficult.

macnark

• Cake and Tea solves all.
« Reply #107 on: 31 March, 2015, 06:53:49 pm »
I had a head on with a Landrover 5 years ago - 19 year old uninsured driver turned in front of me, no signals.
Perfect conditions, daytime, overcast, no glare, I had lights on and light coloured gear.
Plenty of witnesses.

Bike was £900 new, 1 year old. Frame bent, wheels and bars bent, levers bust.
Bibs and top were cut off me by the neenah crew.
Broken hand and collarbone, concussion, was out for about 10mins.
Helmet smashed.
Just at the start of the racing season too.

https://lfgss.microco.sm/api/v1/files/bace7085e833b4e0c0dc4e5f3901cda4b7676a06.JPG

Courts ordered driver to pay £380.00 in instalments ! Much arguing, but that's all I got.

I see the little twerp driving around most days, whilst on my cycle commute, and wonder if he is insured yet, so keep a very wide berth!
Ain't no justice sometimes  >:( 

No wonder they prefer to chance it and not pay for insurance.

« Reply #108 on: 31 March, 2015, 06:59:31 pm »

At the risk of veering totally off topic ... insurers will always start with a piss-poor offer to see if you take it, but surely if you are not at fault then the point is to put you back in the position you were before the event happened. So unless they can tell you exactly where you can buy exact equivalent clothing + bike for what they are offering they have to pay for the new replacement.

Shockingly bad.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #109 on: 31 March, 2015, 07:08:32 pm »
Wonder if Steve even got the details of the moped rider?  Still could claim from the Motor Insurance Bureau if not and also if the moped rider was not insured. This type of thing should also be reported to the police.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #110 on: 31 March, 2015, 07:27:13 pm »
Wonder if Steve even got the details of the moped rider?  Still could claim from the Motor Insurance Bureau if not and also if the moped rider was not insured. This type of thing should also be reported to the police.
Info somewhere else says rider on bail, so must assume he/she is known. Steve left the scene (we know why) but that is another (part of the) story.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #111 on: 31 March, 2015, 07:41:50 pm »
At the risk of veering totally off topic ... insurers will always start with a piss-poor offer to see if you take it, but surely if you are not at fault then the point is to put you back in the position you were before the event happened. So unless they can tell you exactly where you can buy exact equivalent clothing + bike for what they are offering they have to pay for the new replacement.

Shockingly bad.

well, i received a piss-poor offer first, £70 ::-). i've rejected it several times, but the most they could offer was £100, and as i was advised by g&s sols that's what they can get away with. iirc, this is a fairly recent amendment to the compensation regs.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #112 on: 31 March, 2015, 08:09:49 pm »
Guys -- you can relate your personal experiences as much as you like -- as regards this accident the team are already in close contact with CTC insurers,  we expect to  be looking for a claim against the moped driver for an as yet unquantified sum (I don't know whether it is small , modest , sizeable or colossal ) - depends on many factors not yet identified, and at the moment I do not even have any info on whether the moped driver was insured.

CTC insurers on initial contact give an impression of competence.

If we had to bring top class compensation lawyers into this if the claim headed towards colossal -  then with my current understanding we would have no hesitation in doing this.

i think we are as far forward as we could be just 2 days after the accident.

I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #113 on: 31 March, 2015, 08:16:06 pm »
Guys -- you can relate your personal experiences as much as you like -- as regards this accident the team are already in close contact with CTC insurers,  we expect to  be looking for a claim against the moped driver for an as yet unquantified sum (I don't know whether it is small , modest , sizeable or colossal ) - depends on many factors not yet identified, and at the moment I do not even have any info on whether the moped driver was insured.

If we had to bring top class compensation lawyers into this if the claim headed towards colossal -  then with my current understanding we would have no hesitation in doing this.

i think we are as far forward as we could be just 2 days after the accident.

Well said.     It seems to me that the team have this well in hand, and I'm glad Steve's not going through all this alone.     

Early calls on FB for a physio made me assume that it was a back, knee or Achilles issue. That was reinforced by the references to a big headwind day. Comments prior to the news of the collision tended to confirm that view.

This is why I hate FB.    I'm still waiting for it to show me that early call.     I've had more info through emails/here than I have through that so called social media tool for sharing important info.

GWS Steve, and a pat on the back to the support team.

« Reply #114 on: 31 March, 2015, 08:19:02 pm »
Guys -- you can relate your personal experiences as much as you like -- as regards this accident the team are already in close contact with CTC insurers

Far be it for me to relate my personal experience, but when I was knocked off my bike...

...I was covered by CTC insurance and justice was indeed done.*

Not half!

* when I say "justice", yes I was awarded full compensation for my lovely road bike and my injuries. However that payment somehow morphed into the deposit on my wife's new car. Me? I got nothing.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #115 on: 31 March, 2015, 08:24:11 pm »
It's very reassuring that the whole business is in the hands of a very competent team.

Meanwhile, we will continue to natter amongst ourselves.  :P
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #116 on: 31 March, 2015, 08:32:03 pm »
I once got threatened, in writing, with a claim for, 'current and future unspecified psychological damage'. A DofE canoe group I was  supervising ran into a man wading mid Spey ( wading not fishing). My employer backed me all the way and he didn't even get a warm cup of tea for his severely bruised ego.
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #117 on: 31 March, 2015, 08:37:38 pm »
This is why I hate FB.   

Always worries me on first reading that i have upset yet another person !!!
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #118 on: 31 March, 2015, 08:58:18 pm »
Guys -- you can relate your personal experiences as much as you like -- as regards this accident the team are already in close contact with CTC insurers.....
There are quite a few thousand members of auk, and I am certainly the least important so my opinion counts for diddly-squit, but, for what it's worth, I think the auk committee has done bloody well in this whole thing. Getting behind Steve in the first place was not an easy decision and its judgment was exactly right. And I'm sure the case will be pursued in the correct way. Setting up the "other auk website" has worked well, I think. This doesn't help Steve of course but I feel he'll be looked after as well as possible.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #119 on: 01 April, 2015, 12:54:03 am »
I was very well looked after by Levenes Solicitors in 2012 after a crash caused by pothole in Surrey. They were very competent, no win no fee basis, and achieved a good payout in 2014 from Surrey CC in respect of my injuries, damaged bike and clothing. Recommended.