Author Topic: [HAMR] 14th April - Teethgrinder - Day 104  (Read 2446 times)

[HAMR] 14th April - Teethgrinder - Day 104
« on: 14 April, 2015, 07:35:05 am »
Hopefully Steve is still feeling fit and the ankle is 'repairing' under the cast.

Regarding the Trike delivery, there must be be some serious modifications going on to cause such delay?  I feel that the suppliers are 'missing a trick' publicity wise; if they got a move on they would get plaudits for exceptional customer service.  If there is much more of a delay, they could become known as the ones that kept a World Record Holder waiting at a critical point in his challenge.   :(
Tandem Riders Do It Together
188 miles NNE of Marsh Gibbon

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: 14th April - Teethgrinder - Day 104
« Reply #1 on: 14 April, 2015, 07:47:16 am »
The suppliers (ICE) are heading to the SPEZI Radmesse in a week - it's the largest recumbent bike show and they have a lot of stuff there. Quite a bit of organising I think! They are usually really quick at supplying things though so it wouldn't surprise me if the hold-up is waiting for some of the conversion parts that they don't hold themselves.

I assume this Vortex is free of charge? If so then that's a good bit of sponsorship as they ain't cheap trikes.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 14 April, 2015, 12:56:30 pm »
I really hate to say it, but there isn't a D-Tek factor, is there?

LMT

« Reply #3 on: 14 April, 2015, 01:31:16 pm »
Hopefully Steve is still feeling fit and the ankle is 'repairing' under the cast.

Regarding the Trike delivery, there must be be some serious modifications going on to cause such delay?  I feel that the suppliers are 'missing a trick' publicity wise; if they got a move on they would get plaudits for exceptional customer service.  If there is much more of a delay, they could become known as the ones that kept a World Record Holder waiting at a critical point in his challenge.   :(

::-)

Firstly Steve is not the WR holder and ICE are and will always be known as one of the best trike builders out there, and as Helen says if Steve is getting a Vortex for free then you are talking about a £3.5k trike. If this is the case then he's had a touch.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 14 April, 2015, 05:16:30 pm »
Whatever else happens, Steve will be the world record holder on 31st December 2015 in the 40+ age group with 16,889 miles. That much is a given.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #5 on: 14 April, 2015, 05:23:53 pm »
I really hate to say it, but there isn't a D-Tek factor, is there?

When the initial e-mail went out to the helpers my immediate reply was to suggest they contact Kevin at D-Tek. I feel sure he'd have been able to furnish Steve with something suitable a damn sight quicker than this...
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #6 on: 15 April, 2015, 02:19:32 am »
Resting the recovering R leg on the drive side could be the issue. That is where the conventional chainring/crank and pedal flies round. The conversion may require a non-rotating crank to retain the chainring drive. I used a non-rotating L crank for my one-leggers 2 yrs ago but no chainring there.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #7 on: 15 April, 2015, 09:32:31 am »
The enforced rest is probably a good thing, any swelling is likely to have gone down (confirmed by Steve) as its been a couple of weeks now so the bones should be knitting back together. Steve will not have lost too much fitness as he started from a high level its really from now on the fitness levels will drop quite sharply.
Eddington Number 75

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 15 April, 2015, 07:13:03 pm »
Resting the recovering R leg on the drive side could be the issue. That is where the conventional chainring/crank and pedal flies round. The conversion may require a non-rotating crank to retain the chainring drive. I used a non-rotating L crank for my one-leggers 2 yrs ago but no chainring there.
Yes, that was exaqctly my thought.

If he had a working _right_ leg, things would have been a lot simpler!

(for some reason this makes me think of Peter Cook & Dudley Moore ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles