Author Topic: [HAMR] May 17th - What an early start  (Read 2646 times)

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
[HAMR] May 17th - What an early start
« on: 17 May, 2015, 07:06:32 am »
TG starts at 4am. Does he not need sleep!

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Re: May 17th - What an early start
« Reply #1 on: 17 May, 2015, 07:14:43 am »
Not a great deal it would seem!
GO STEVE

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2 on: 17 May, 2015, 07:57:19 am »
Go TG!

He is probably at that stage in recovery, where you feel good enough to do anything. But knows that you shouldn't, so therefore is getting well bored, restless and keen to go.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

red marley

« Reply #3 on: 17 May, 2015, 08:51:30 am »
He's on a 600 PBP qualifier (Flatlands helpers' ride), so inevitable that an early start is required. I am wondering if he will repeat the exercise and do the Flatlanders again next weekend with all the other entrants.

« Reply #4 on: 17 May, 2015, 09:21:04 am »
calendar has him down as The Flatlands next week

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 17 May, 2015, 09:37:41 am »
If he's doing a 600 twice,might he be 'trading' a longer ride for a shorter, 'missed' qualifier?

GO STEVE!

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #6 on: 17 May, 2015, 10:05:46 am »
I don't think he can get BRM/qualification credit for the same ride twice (as a helper + on the calendar date), so he'd have to ride something other than Flatlands for his extra 600.

BTW if it was exactly 0400 when the track for the day started, the 0400 start could well be the artificial trackleaders "new day" cutoff rather than his actual start time - if he rode on through the night, his track for today would still start at 0400  (He could also have had a strategic travelodge stop, restarting at or before 0400).
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #7 on: 17 May, 2015, 10:09:27 am »
Looks like a 'spoons breakie in Sleaford.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #8 on: 17 May, 2015, 10:37:38 am »
Allez Steve

« Reply #9 on: 17 May, 2015, 01:18:17 pm »
He's on a 600 PBP qualifier (Flatlands helpers' ride)

Strictly speaking, the "Helpers Ride" is only for those you can't ride on the Event Date itself because they are involved in running the event.  It is not intended to be a means by which you can do something else on the day itself, and certainly you can't ride the same event twice and have it validated, even as a trade-up for a missed shorter qualifier.

It is also valid to ride the "Helper's Ride" as a route sheet check, but the rule about not allowing another ride to be validated on the Calendar event date still stands.

Steve will know this, but I wouldn't put it past him to ride the 600 twice (if this is indeed his plan) just for the fun of it.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #10 on: 17 May, 2015, 02:32:35 pm »
He's on a 600 PBP qualifier (Flatlands helpers' ride)

Strictly speaking, the "Helpers Ride" is only for those you can't ride on the Event Date itself because they are involved in running the event.  It is not intended to be a means by which you can do something else on the day itself, and certainly you can't ride the same event twice and have it validated, even as a trade-up for a missed shorter qualifier.

It is also valid to ride the "Helper's Ride" as a route sheet check, but the rule about not allowing another ride to be validated on the Calendar event date still stands.

Steve will know this, but I wouldn't put it past him to ride the 600 twice (if this is indeed his plan) just for the fun of it.

Yes, it will be great to see SA on the Flatlands next week; apart from the wind, the terrain is perfect for speed/distance. His recce with the 'Helpers' is just what he needs to prove his form; plenty of others on the ride (inc. Organiser, Wilko) as route checkers, so really no need for SA in this capacity. After all SA is on a separate agenda to the rest of us. I cannot see him being a valid helper next weeked, when he could be adding 400miles to his total. I would love to be able to follow his wheel but will probably be too slow now that his recovery is developing.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #11 on: 17 May, 2015, 06:42:21 pm »
Approaching Cambridge, after presumably cleaning the Green Welly out of sossidges.

ETA: does anyone know if he's on two wheels or three for this jaunt?

« Reply #12 on: 17 May, 2015, 07:45:08 pm »
Approaching Cambridge, after presumably cleaning the Green Welly out of sossidges.

He is on two wheels, on the Raleigh. Crutches strapped to the rear rack. Spotted at Gainsborough control at 5.30am as they crossed paths with Moors and Wolds riders

« Reply #13 on: 17 May, 2015, 08:53:11 pm »

He is on two wheels, on the Raleigh. Crutches strapped to the rear rack. Spotted at Gainsborough control at 5.30am as they crossed paths with Moors and Wolds riders

Shame, I didn't get to Gainsborough until 8am.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #14 on: 18 May, 2015, 01:19:18 am »
Steve finished the Flatlands Helper's ride sometime after 10pm, so might have missed the BRM standard, unless the team started late on Sat am. But, unless he 'is' a Helper next w/e, Audax authorities would suggest this ride cannot be claimed as a legitimate BRM ride. I note from Steve's Calendar, he is scheduled to ride the Flatlands next w/e, so this could just have been a confidence-building ride and excellent company from Tomski and Wilko. And, obviously, more miles towards the Grand Total.

What this does confirm is that Steve is once more becoming competitive. Reassuring.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: 18 May, 2015, 04:56:42 pm »
We started late, but it was a pretty 'full value' ride for most. We had a headwind both ways, give or take the odd bit...

All the Helpers' Rides this year have been in tougher conditions than the main event - if this trend is reversed then it will be mayhem next weekend.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: 18 May, 2015, 05:00:37 pm »
Steve finished the Flatlands Helper's ride sometime after 10pm

Checking the OYTT website, that looks like the time we were uploading all Steve's tracks for the weekend, back at my house late...

Photo of Steve at Gainsborough on the Moors and Wolds thread.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #17 on: 19 May, 2015, 07:20:02 am »
Steve finished the Flatlands Helper's ride sometime after 10pm
Checking the OYTT website, that looks like the time we were uploading all Steve's tracks for the weekend, back at my house late...

Phew!  Someone needs to prod UMCA then.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.