Author Topic: [HAMR] 30th June - Teethgrinder Day 181  (Read 4426 times)

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
[HAMR] 30th June - Teethgrinder Day 181
« on: 30 June, 2015, 10:12:34 am »
No idea what's going on yet but as no one else has started a thread for today I will  :)

Edit:  I will add that as of today to beat the record Steve now needs to average 248.6 miles a day.

Is he going to start a concurrent attempt? as I don't think he will beat the record as it stands at the mo (I hope I'm wrong though).
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

red marley

Re: 30th June - Teethgrinder Day 181
« Reply #1 on: 30 June, 2015, 10:17:18 am »
I'm expecting big things from Steve today, what with the extra time available.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 30 June, 2015, 10:28:03 am »
Has anyone told UMCA?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3 on: 30 June, 2015, 10:34:51 am »
Well, it's gone 10:30 now and the tracker hasn't fired up yet - one thing is for sure, he won't break any records by having a lie-in on such a perfect day. Today ought to be a "make hay while the sun shines" kind of day.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4 on: 30 June, 2015, 10:36:52 am »
Indeed. Although nothing has been confirmed, I wonder if a new effort will be launched tomorrow, 1st July? Having a rest today would make sense in that context. But of course I am speculating wildly.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #5 on: 30 June, 2015, 11:03:40 am »
Well, it's gone 10:30 now and the tracker hasn't fired up yet
He must have heard you, first point recorded at 10:33:52
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #6 on: 30 June, 2015, 11:13:31 am »
Well, it's gone 10:30 now and the tracker hasn't fired up yet
He must have heard you, first point recorded at 10:33:52

lol....yes..he must've.

Go Steve!

« Reply #7 on: 30 June, 2015, 11:32:05 am »
If Steve were to start a July concurrent attempt then let it start on the 2nd. Next year we'll forget about the leap year and will expect it to end on June 30th.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #8 on: 30 June, 2015, 12:00:06 pm »
Well, it's gone 10:30 now and the tracker hasn't fired up yet - one thing is for sure, he won't break any records by having a lie-in on such a perfect day. Today ought to be a "make hay while the sun shines" kind of day.

It's quite hard to make Hay from Milton Keynes without hitting a few hills.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #9 on: 30 June, 2015, 12:01:39 pm »
Isn't there some guff about UMCA having to be notified in advance about attempts (hence the date for Miles' restart?)  Or am I imagining that?  Of course, there's nothing to say that Steve and his team haven't given sufficient notice and just haven't told us lot.

It's a bit daft to do a 300-mile ride just before a restart, though...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #10 on: 30 June, 2015, 12:12:40 pm »
I believe there is a lead-in period, but does that necessarily mean we would be party to that info?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #11 on: 30 June, 2015, 12:46:23 pm »
I really wish someone would tell us wtf is going on.  Having donated at the start, I was going to set up a standing order recently but decided to leave it until I hear through some official channel (not including yacf gossip) whether or not Steve is restarting, and if so, when - or at least a definite idea of the shape of the plan.  I like the way he's crowdfunding his attempt but it goes with the territory that sponsors should be kept at least minimally up to date. 

SoreTween

« Reply #12 on: 30 June, 2015, 12:54:58 pm »
[rampant speculation]
Steve's last really low ride by his standards was 101 miles on 20 May.  Since 21 May he has averaged 208 per day.  If he continues that pace until the end of July he will have 15,000 miles since that date in 72 days. 
Suppose he starts his 2nd crack then....
Steve's planned year schedules average close to 85,000 which would mean that at the end of that year he'd have both the year and the 100k done.  He'd have beaten Tommy's year and beaten his 100k by 63 days.

Obviously he can do the same picking a date earlier than May 21 and still beat both records, it just reduces the 63 days.

My feeling is this is what Steve has in mind, get the 100k part of the job done up front rather than the end.  If so we should see the restart announced sometime in July.  If we get to August and it's not been announced then I don't think it will happen.
[/rampant speculation]

Edited to add:
Quote from: UMCA rulez
Application fee for this record will be $300 to be submitted with an application at least 21 days prior to the start of the attempt.

I too am waiting for the restart to set up a dd.

« Reply #13 on: 30 June, 2015, 01:25:18 pm »
I really wish someone would tell us wtf is going on.  Having donated at the start, I was going to set up a standing order recently but decided to leave it until I hear through some official channel (not including yacf gossip) whether or not Steve is restarting, and if so, when - or at least a definite idea of the shape of the plan.  I like the way he's crowdfunding his attempt but it goes with the territory that sponsors should be kept at least minimally up to date.

I sort of disagree.  I have a direct debit to him each month, but I don't really see that I have any right to expect anything other than what I see.  Our job is to make his record attempt easier, not give him extra responsibilities.

« Reply #14 on: 30 June, 2015, 01:46:58 pm »
Phew its warm out, drink plenty Steve and have a good day  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

Martin

« Reply #15 on: 30 June, 2015, 02:23:55 pm »
my understanding is that Steve thinks it's still possible to beat the record before 31.12.15; all the time that attempt is continuing or if he restarts I'll continue my donations for the rest of the year  :)

« Reply #16 on: 30 June, 2015, 02:49:12 pm »
I would love to be proved wrong, but it doesn't look likely to me that he'll beat Godwin's 75065 this year.  He's not consistently putting in 250-mile days yet and all the time that he doesn't, the asking gets bigger.  It would be a huge shame to finish in December and leave a whole load of "what-if"s unanswered about what he is truly capable of.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #17 on: 30 June, 2015, 03:25:31 pm »
Allez Steve

This seems to show that he still thinks it is possible.

Do you still want to be going for the record, despite the crash and your ankle? The answer: It never occurred to him to stop. “I just want to do it…After the crash, I thought I was done, but I wanted to do what I could," he says. "As long as there’s a chance, I won’t give it up."

SoreTween

« Reply #18 on: 30 June, 2015, 03:37:24 pm »
Hard to know regarding this year, my opinion as to whether he can do it matters so little.  I hope he does but I also hope he does a restart.  As Legs says otherwise there will be too many unknowns plus he'll only hold the record for a few days.

« Reply #19 on: 30 June, 2015, 06:49:20 pm »
Having ridden a short distance with him at the weekend, I think he is still recovering from his injury and he is still just winding up for the big mileage days.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #20 on: 30 June, 2015, 07:43:46 pm »
If he's still enjoying it - what's to stop him doing 70,000 miles this year and 80,000 the next.  He'd then set the record and reclaim it from Tarzan!
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #21 on: 30 June, 2015, 08:01:36 pm »
Immediately after typing that ^, I flicked to the tracker, and...

...bloody hell! he's at the top of my road!!!  :o

As I was about to go to the shop anyway, I nipped out and found Steve just returned to his bike after buying a few provisions. We chatted as he stowed them and changed the batteries on GPSs.

Steve confirmed that his ankle was giving him a bit of pain at the weekend.

He told me a little about his immediate plans, and it sounds as if he's looking forward to keeping you all guessing - so I won't divulge what he's thinking of doing...

...just don't stay up late tonight, waiting for Strava updates.
;)

« Reply #22 on: 30 June, 2015, 09:35:56 pm »
Go on Wobbly, give us a clue! It's half nine in the evening and he's just hit the Norfolk coast with 143 miles on the tracker. Is he doing an overnighter in prep for the Mational 24, or perhaps something for PBP training? Go on, give us a clue (or did he buy duff Garmin batteries in your local shop?).

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #23 on: 30 June, 2015, 09:39:10 pm »
Read the small print ;)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #24 on: 30 June, 2015, 10:09:20 pm »
Go on Wobbly, give us a clue! It's half nine in the evening and he's just hit the Norfolk Lincolnshire coast with 143 miles on the tracker. Is he doing an overnighter in prep for the Mational 24, or perhaps something for PBP training? Go on, give us a clue (or did he buy duff Garmin batteries in your local shop?).

A popular East Angular Audax route may feature...  :demon:

...as may the Norfolk coast later tonight.
  ;)