Author Topic: Radio recommendations  (Read 44516 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Radio recommendations
« Reply #225 on: 17 December, 2022, 06:48:23 pm »
Gave up on the Bill Bailey sit-com (man with imaginary childhood friend) after 2Eps - unoriginal, unfunny, occasionally irritating.
Shame - still love you Bill!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #226 on: 27 May, 2023, 11:32:47 am »
YES! YES! YES!

https://twitter.com/JohnFinnemore/status/1662395725437718530?s=20

Shame it's not a whole series but better than nothing. And much as I loved S9, I'm glad he's returning to the previous format.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #227 on: 12 July, 2023, 08:05:17 pm »
Something very different in the six thirty comedy slot: Robin Ince's Reality Tunnel. It started last week but I wasn't aware until I caught most of episode two this evening. Robin Ince empties his brain at us. All four episodes on BBC Sounds.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

citoyen

« Reply #228 on: 12 July, 2023, 09:17:10 pm »
I shall check that out. I like Robin Ince.

I’ve recently discovered something on 4extra from a few years ago that passed me by at the time: Reluctant Persuaders - sitcom set in an advertising agency, with Nigel Havers hamming it up to the max.

A bit patchy but very very funny in places and a lot different to the usual radio sitcom fare.

There are some nice in jokes too - they get Havers to deliver some nice lines about illustrious British actors doing anything for money, and there’s one bit where one of the young idiots is singing his own name to the tune of Eine Kleine Nachtmusik (which as I’m sure all know was the theme tune - with words by Chas & Dave - to The Happy Apple, in which Leslie Ash plays a secretary in an advertising agency).

All four series are on iplayer right now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reluctant_Persuaders

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #229 on: 25 July, 2023, 10:18:47 pm »
Two programmes being delivered in 15 minute chunks on 4 Extra. Both of which have been broadcast before.

First up is "You Will Be Safe Here" by Damian Barr. 

Damian Barr's blistering debut novel, spanning 100 years of South Africa's dark past and present, from the 1901 Boer War to 2010.
Currently we're in Bloemenfontein concentration camp and it's narrated by Tracy Ann Obermann doing her Afrikaans accent, which I'm sure is fine. Trouble is it's not very far from the one she uses in "Getting Nowhere Fast" where she plays a South African waitress who recounts her sexual antics of the night before each morning (Last night I met this real hottie. I was like nice bum. He was like bitchin'. Then I had a complete cadenza. So I snogged him all night).

I'm having trouble getting that out of my mind while we hear tales of the harrowing conditions in the concentration camp.

Second is "Light Years," part of The Cazalets by  Elizabeth Jane Howard. Tales of infidelity in the run up to the second world war. Narrated by Penelope Wilton.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #230 on: 27 July, 2023, 02:41:50 pm »
Why did no-one tell me that S27 of The Infinite Monkey Cage started MOAR than a month ago >:(  Slackers, the lot of you!

On the plus side, I shall have the dulcet tones of Messrs Cox & Ince to soothe my ears on the highways and byways of USAnia, as is tradition :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #231 on: 06 August, 2023, 10:08:13 am »
Gideon Coe is depping for Cerys Matthews in the 6 Music Sunday morning slot for the next few weeks. Hurrah.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #232 on: 29 October, 2023, 03:10:52 pm »
Stumbled across a production of The Midwich Cuckoos that I'd not heard before, on 4 Extra last night. First aired in 2003 in two 60 minute episodes, it's got Bill Nighy not, for once, playing an ageing actor. Clive Merrison is also in it.

I'll keep an ear out for episode two.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #233 on: 29 December, 2023, 09:32:26 am »
The World's Richest Man on BBC Sounds

Sit com by Nick Hornby and Giles Smith about trillionaire former rocker Dave Mabbut, played by Mark Williams.

First broadcast in 2009.

citoyen

« Reply #234 on: 29 December, 2023, 10:21:48 am »
it's got Bill Nighy not, for once, playing an ageing actor.

Do you ever listen to the Charles Parris mysteries? Enjoyable but…

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #235 on: 29 December, 2023, 10:30:46 am »
As it hasn't been mentioned for 3 years, I think I'm allowed to praise The Skewer again. (on Series 10!)

Post by: Tim Hall on 23 October, 2020, 10:33:46 am
Quote from: hatler on 21 October, 2020, 08:49:31 am
I happened upon The Skewer on R4 recently. Didn't quite get it to start with but now love it.

I listened to some of that last night. I like it. There was some kind of mash up that featured the shipping forecast:
"Boris Johnson Dogger"

And for some seasonal Audio Oddness: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000h93s
(rather peculiar Jim Morrison doc/archive dive. Sort of ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #236 on: 30 December, 2023, 03:00:40 pm »
it's got Bill Nighy not, for once, playing an ageing actor.

Do you ever listen to the Charles Parris mysteries? Enjoyable but…
Oh yes indeed.Nighy to the power of Nighy.
There's at least one dramatisation with Frances Matthews as Charles Paris.  Much more serious and closer, I suspect, to the Simon Brett book.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #237 on: 30 December, 2023, 03:20:13 pm »
Tittered my way round the supermarket today, listening to Uncle Mort's South Country. Stephen Thorne as Uncle Mort, Sam Kelly as Carter Brandon. Finely honed script by Peter Tinniswood.

<Font=Yorkshire, lad>
"Hawkins, Raleigh, Drake, Frobisher. They all set out from here on their voyages of discovery."
"Aye, and what did they discover when they got there? Hamburgers, baseball, Flying Fortresses and endless repeats of Lucille Ball on the television. Bastards."
</Font>

BBC Sounds, obvs.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #238 on: 05 March, 2024, 08:35:30 am »
Four Extra (and BBC Sounds) has the second series of something called Jack and Millie. Written by (and starring) Jeremy Front and his sister, Rebecca. The official blurb says "an older couple fully engaged with contemporary life whilst being at war with the absurdities of the modern world"

"Where do you stand on sex toys?"
"I'm no expert, but I don't think you stand on them"

« Reply #239 on: 05 March, 2024, 09:56:33 am »
Four Extra (and BBC Sounds) has the second series of something called Jack and Millie. Written by (and starring) Jeremy Front and his sister, Rebecca. The official blurb says "an older couple fully engaged with contemporary life whilst being at war with the absurdities of the modern world"

"Where do you stand on sex toys?"
"I'm no expert, but I don't think you stand on them"

;D ;D ;D

I wish I hadn't had a mouthful of nuts* just before reading that!

* fnarr