Author Topic: Large setback seatpost  (Read 14539 times)

inc

Large setback seatpost
« on: 01 February, 2009, 07:45:46 pm »
I am trying my Brooks saddle (again) and now it is more or less in the right position it is right at the front of the rails with a 20mm setback post. I have had a look on the net for seatposts with a larger setback but they don't seem that common or are expensive, ( Thompson) anybody have any suggestions for a reasonably priced post.

Re: Large setback seatpost
« Reply #1 on: 01 February, 2009, 07:50:49 pm »
Van Nicholas Ti seatposts are setback - but I suspect they'll not be at the budget end of the market......

Edit - 100 Euros. And only a 15mm set back.

inc

« Reply #3 on: 01 February, 2009, 10:42:36 pm »
The Outland looks good from the photo any idea what the layback is.

inc

« Reply #4 on: 06 February, 2009, 09:44:57 am »
 Brooks seem popular so what seatposts are you Brooks users using. I have been looking for a while now, there are quite a few other forum posts on the net from others with the same problem but no solutions yet. The Easton E50 (older version) looks like it may have a lot of setback but I can't get any dimensions and it is no longer made. The FSA sl 220 looks good but is no longer made, there are a few around but the wrong size. Thompson layback posts are no further laid back than many others at 20mm, the Titec hellbent is no longer made. The Oval series again look OK they say 28mm but there doesn't seem any standard way to measure the layback and it looks like the clamps may foul the rails so just giving the same setback as a normal post. I don't have a lot of setback but could do with a few more mm any suggestions please for a suitable seatpost.

Thanks

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 06 February, 2009, 09:49:28 am »
The old EA50 has about 40mm of setback but, as you say, the current one doesn't.  You may find a NOS one.

The real problem is that modern Taiwanese frames have excessively steep seat angles, and the tendency of aftermarket manufacturers to produce lots of inline posts just exacerbates the problem.  It's no good saving 25g off your seatpost if the bike can't be set up to fit you.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Chris N

« Reply #6 on: 06 February, 2009, 09:53:48 am »
The real problem is that modern Taiwanese frames have excessively steep seat angles

Shirley the real problem is that the Brooks rail design is hopelessly out-dated?  After all, there's no problem with any other design of saddle, is there?

inc

« Reply #7 on: 06 February, 2009, 10:58:13 am »
The old EA50 has about 40mm of setback but, as you say, the current one doesn't.  You may find a NOS one.

Thanks for the info, CRC say it is only 20mm setback but I had downloaded and scaled the photo and got 40mm and you have just confirmed that so I have now ordered one (old style 2007) .

GlasgowDave

• Inside I'm smiling
    • Flickr Audax Group
« Reply #8 on: 06 February, 2009, 11:14:29 am »
Have a look at the VO Grand Cru 27.2 Alloy Seatpost here

http://www.freshtripe.co.uk/Freshtripe/Shiny%20Bits.html

You'll have to scroll down the page a bit to see it. I'm considering getting one as a solution to the same problem

GD
it takes a special talent to miss out on the Midnight Madness by sleeping in...

inc

« Reply #9 on: 06 February, 2009, 11:58:46 am »
I had found the VO but only on the US site Velo Orange home page it looks OK, says it has 30.2mm setback. I have bookmarked that site in case the Easton doesn't work out.

GlasgowDave

• Inside I'm smiling
    • Flickr Audax Group
« Reply #10 on: 06 February, 2009, 02:31:22 pm »
I've ordered one of the VO ones, I'll post back here when I get a chance to try it out.

GD
it takes a special talent to miss out on the Midnight Madness by sleeping in...

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #11 on: 06 February, 2009, 05:31:03 pm »
Going back a while, 20 years, there used be a thing called 'railz' erm.... basically it was a pair of seat rails in a bracket thing with another set of seat rails above the first but set back about 2". So the lower rails went onto the seat post, and the saddle went on the upper rails. I think they were marketed by maddison.

Any way you clever people,  How do you , (how does anyone) measure the set back. Is it center of seat post to center of bolt hole? if so is this horizontal to the ground, or parralell? with the seat post incline?   Or is it center of seat post to forward face of saddle clamp, or rear face of seat post to center of bolt hole.  I like the look of the VO 28mm set back, as I feel that I'm sitting on the rivets, but my k-alloy post seem to be about 25mmc/c. oh I dont know!!! someone must have the answer. :sick:

« Reply #12 on: 06 February, 2009, 05:42:15 pm »
I'd say it was centre of post to centre of rail clamp, perpendicular to the post.
However there's no saying whether the manufacturers agree with me, or even with each other.

« Reply #13 on: 06 February, 2009, 06:48:28 pm »
If you want to spend a while searching eBay, you could find one of these SR seatposts - enough layback to suit anyone.
I once went on a CTC tour with someone who was using one backwards.

rogerzilla

« Reply #14 on: 06 February, 2009, 07:00:37 pm »

Thanks for the info, CRC say it is only 20mm setback but I had downloaded and scaled the photo and got 40mm and you have just confirmed that so I have now ordered one (old style 2007) .

I measured it when I had the same problem (the Fuji has an old-model EA50).  In the end Paul Hewitt found a carbon (!) seatpost with a lot of layback - not sure what brand it is, but it would probably manage over 90mm setback with a Team Pro and a 73 deg seat angle.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15 on: 06 February, 2009, 08:41:28 pm »
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

« Reply #16 on: 07 February, 2009, 08:27:12 am »
Setback and layback are two different things.

Setback = the horizontal distance between a plumbline dropped from the saddle nose to the centre of the BB spindle.  Normally around 50mm, but can be much more or less depending on your thigh length, foot size and cleat position.  Affected by the seat angle of the frame, the type of saddle, the position of the saddle in the seatclamp and the layback of the seatpost.

Layback (offset) = the distance between the main axis of the seatpost and the centre of the saddle clamp.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #17 on: 07 February, 2009, 08:59:14 am »
I had the same problem when I changed saddles to a Brooks although my suspension seatpost (broken now) offered more layback than the seatpost I am using at the moment.

I didn't find a solution by buying a different seatpost but decided to get used to it.

I used to have an issue with the front wheel lifting off on steep hills (suggesting I was too far back) but this is not a problem now and I don't think I am appreciably slower at climbing.

H

Nick H.

« Reply #18 on: 07 February, 2009, 11:40:49 am »
There's the Nitto Wayback. Gorgeous. But pricey, and I've only seen it at Rivendell where it's $200:

You can even get a matching lugged stem if you're minted.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #19 on: 07 February, 2009, 04:58:11 pm »
I've ordered one of the VO ones, I'll post back here when I get a chance to try it out.

GD

Ditto mee too!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #20 on: 08 February, 2009, 04:34:49 am »
Setback and layback are two different things.

Setback = the horizontal distance between a plumbline dropped from the saddle nose to the centre of the BB spindle.  Normally around 50mm, but can be much more or less depending on your thigh length, foot size and cleat position.  Affected by the seat angle of the frame, the type of saddle, the position of the saddle in the seatclamp and the layback of the seatpost.

Layback (offset) = the distance between the main axis of the seatpost and the centre of the saddle clamp.

Not according to local usage, YMMV.

In any case, the linked message noted some seatposts that allowed saddles to be mounted further back than normal.  It seemed we were repeating ourselves to some extent.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #21 on: 08 February, 2009, 11:19:09 am »
There's the Nitto Wayback. Gorgeous. But pricey, and I've only seen it at Rivendell where it's $200:

If you needed a seatpost with as much setback as that, and with the saddle in the position shown, wouldn't it mean that you were riding a frame that was not the right size for you? (in the example pictured only)
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

rogerzilla

« Reply #22 on: 08 February, 2009, 11:38:14 am »
Not necessarily.  Frames have excessively steep seat angles now.

inc

« Reply #23 on: 08 February, 2009, 05:16:55 pm »
Well the Easton post has not lived up to expectation. With a standard B17 it won't allow the saddle back as far as my normal 25mm seatpins and the serrations are so coarse that I can either have the saddle just very slightly nose down or about 15mm up at the nose. I had a rake though my bits and found an ancient two bolt Record post which interestingly has the two lower cradles chamfered to the outside, this has now given about 10-15mm more rearward travel. I have also set the saddle just nose up and after another two hours today ( in the sleet and snow) it feel really comfortable.

rogerzilla

« Reply #24 on: 08 February, 2009, 05:36:30 pm »
Are you sure you have the old model?

Massive setback.