Author Topic: Bike weight..?  (Read 19787 times)

Bike weight..?
« on: 05 January, 2014, 04:45:29 pm »
OOI how heavy are your favourite, most used road (Audax/tourer/commuter) bikes?  I'm not thinking stripped down/bare minimum weight, but more 'unladen' including some accessories such as pumps/bottle cages etc.

For me:

531ST 'Tourer'/Audax = 13.5kg (30lb)   (pump/bottle cage/saddle bag)
Triban aluminium road bike = 12kg (26.5lb)   (pump/bottle cage/'saddle bag')

By and large, I suppose it's a case of adapting to the weight we're used to. If you happen to be close to a super fit pro, then perhaps the lighter the better for speed, if not comfort/durability.

Andy
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: Bike weight..?
« Reply #1 on: 05 January, 2014, 04:54:56 pm »
Carbon 4 series Madone, Mavics etc,  8.0kg with GPS, mounts, bottle cages etc.  Aluminium 2 series Madone with guards etc. 10.xkg. Within reason, I don't find weight loss need compromise comfort. My Alicante is way lighter than my various Brooks, but wonderfully comfy. My carbon Madone is very plush. Given how  ridiculously compliant the back end if my carbon Madone is, I can only imagine how plush the Domane feels. Don't miss my old 631 audax bike for comfort.

DaleFTW

« Reply #2 on: 05 January, 2014, 04:55:38 pm »
Disc Trucker is my most used bike. Probably be about 35lb day to day.

Road bike is about 17lbs.

Mountainbike will be pushing 50lbs at the minute, I've not yet cleaned it after yesterdays uber muddy ride.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #3 on: 05 January, 2014, 05:06:07 pm »
Green touring bike: an aluminium framed Revolution Country Explorer – 14.45 kg (including rear rack and an empty bar bag which is always on, but not the pump).

Yellow fixed: vintage (late 50s) steel track 22.5″ frame – 9.14 kg (with 2 bottle cages no pump or guards)

Blue road bike: custom built steel 531 frame 52cm – 9.59 kg (with 2 bottle cages no pump or guards)

All 3 very comfy to ride (all done at least one 100 mile ride this year), really notice the weight of the heavy bike up hills when riding with others though.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 05 January, 2014, 05:10:29 pm »
It's not about how fit you are (well, obviously it is in absolute terms), it's about how much you weigh.  If you're sufficently lardy, the weight of the bike is lost in the noise.

I'm not sure what the Streetmachine weighs, but I'm sure it's closer to 20kg than 10kg.

« Reply #5 on: 05 January, 2014, 05:25:26 pm »
Geared bike (alu frame, carbon fork, Brooks, full mudguards, 2 bottle cages, pump, lights, etc.): 11.7kg

Fixed (steel frame, carbon fork, same stuff as above): 10.4kg

Hybrid: haven't weighed it recently (haven't ridden it recently, either!), but was about 17kg last time I did.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #6 on: 05 January, 2014, 05:54:25 pm »
My Ritchey weighs 7.5kg all up, my Kinesis Racelight Tk3 about 9.5kg with 'guards, pump, bottle and pedals, my shopping bike (roadified Carreras Vulcan) about 16kg.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #7 on: 05 January, 2014, 06:07:47 pm »
Salsa Casseroll : Somewhere above 10 kg, maybe around 12-13 for the roadbike all loaded up.
My Salsa Fargo complete with pump, spareparts, extra clothes and water for 120km will be above 17kg.

Fatbike weighs in at around 16 kg dry, add 7kg backpack with all the crap including coffee.

Thorn Raven sport tour : everyday bike weighs around 11-12 kg

« Reply #8 on: 05 January, 2014, 06:21:35 pm »
Super galaxy 12.5kg plus Brooks saddle, bottles, saddlebag, etc.

Trek 1.2 10.36kg (much to my surprise) plus ditto
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #9 on: 05 January, 2014, 06:47:14 pm »
rather not know! actually.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #10 on: 05 January, 2014, 06:47:52 pm »
Yeah I daren't weigh mine. I don't think my credit card could cope.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #11 on: 05 January, 2014, 06:57:26 pm »
I'm working on N+1 (well, a new bike anyway - I'll probably be selling some!) which should weigh around 6.5kg or less without costing a fortune. I'm also working on losing 10kg of lard. The combination, added to some decent 'training' (well, more riding) should produce some ability to climb hills. Currently a talent entirely missing from my repertoire.

« Reply #12 on: 05 January, 2014, 08:58:54 pm »
Lynskey R230-Ti Campag Chorus groupset, Tune / R 415 wheels  + PDW mudguards for summer riding  :) about 9 kg

Shand Stoater steel 853 Campag Centaur groupset + disc brakes , Novatech disc hubs / open pro wheels + mudguards about 12 kg

Ortlieb seatpack for either about 1.3 kg.

Me as rider about 80 kg
 So how much significance is about 3 kg bike weight variation ?  ???
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Squarewheels

• Too much cake :sick:
« Reply #13 on: 05 January, 2014, 09:11:46 pm »
Giant Peloton 8200 - 10.5kg with 'guards. I don't know about without...wait until 'summer'  :).

Dawes Sardar - 14kg with rack, 'guards etc.

Rider: 53kg

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
« Reply #14 on: 05 January, 2014, 09:20:04 pm »
rather not know! actually.
^this is best.

I once made the mistake of getting ready for an audax ride with a bit of spare time, and the bathroom scales were nearby ... the answer held me back all day, and I still suffer from the knowledge  :o

It's a Long Haul Trucker, with food, full water bottles, toolkit, a bit of spare clothing.  18 kg ready to go - and I felt every gram on the climbs!
The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #15 on: 05 January, 2014, 09:30:37 pm »
I got curious.

12.4kg - Specialized Tricross triple with rack, mudguards, bottle cages, saddle bag (w/ tube, levers and multitool), mini pump and Garmin mount.

Which surprised me, in away. I'm determined that my next bike will be a weight-weenie "light" bike, on the proviso that I'll only let myself buy it when I'm a "light" person.

« Reply #16 on: 05 January, 2014, 10:56:17 pm »
I had a pretty good idea, but thought it worth checking...

15.0 kg 1980 Claud Butler Majestic (fixed gear transmission) as I ride it normally, i.e. with lights (hub dynamo + reserves), Camper saddlebag (on pannier rack), waterproofs, toolkit, first aid kit & a long cable lock.

20.6 kg 2000 Dawes Galaxy (aka the invalid carriage), with front & rear pannier racks & Carradice rear panniers, lights & everyday essentials (as CB).

No surprises there. The Carradice panniers are quite heavy, as is a 3x9 derailleur transmission. I don't normally take either on tour.

Sadly, as I get older & my power output reduces, I discover that weight has become more important.  It's basic physics. Climbing speed (ignoring air drag) increases (reminiscing ;)) in direct proportion to power. Speed on the flat (ignoring rolling resistance) increases with the cube root of power. The lower my power output, the bigger the effect of climbing hills. And it's going uphill where weight has the biggest effect.

My body weight (72kg in the moring) has been declining slowly with age, due to muscle &/or bone loss, though I usually try to put on an extra couple of kg of fat as insulation during the winter. 1 kg off the bike is about 1% of all-up weight, and I'm happy to save a few grammes every year from the bike that does the most miles, as long as it doesn't cost more.

« Reply #17 on: 06 January, 2014, 10:42:49 am »
Making my bid for heaviest on here, my day-to-day bike, a 2011 Gazelle Primeur, weighs in at 23.5kg. This is with front and rear racks, dynamo lighting, kickstand and bracket for the child seat.

My other bikes are considerably less, but they're stacked in a small shed awaiting a bigger shed come the spring.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #18 on: 17 January, 2014, 02:42:37 pm »
My daily rider, a boardman mtb weighs around 13kg.

My old genesis equilibrium was around 11kg from memory.

I really struggle with the former, but it could also be that fact that it has mtb gearing and fatter 26" wheels.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 17 January, 2014, 03:35:53 pm »
Okay, curiosity got the better of me.   :facepalm:

According to the dubious bathroom scales:

HPV Streetmachine: 21kg
Dawes Discovery (with winter tyres): 14.5kg
ICE Sprint (in pedelec mode with Marathon Plus tyres fitted): 37kg[1], of which 12kg is the battery.  It's probably 18-20kg without the motor and control gubbins.

The Streetmachine is usually the fastest, but it's not really fair to compare them due to the massive difference in aerodynamics and rolling resistance.

The racktop bag I use for day rides containing extra layers, pump, tools, tubes, cable lock, etc. weighs about 4kg.  Allow for another kilo of water/food.

The scales reckon I weigh 86kg, with normal clothes and boots.  This is probably about right.

[1] Noisy.  I had to measure the weight on each wheel, rather than diff the gross weight of me holding bike.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #20 on: 17 January, 2014, 05:19:12 pm »
Giant hybrid with rack, two panniers and D-lock: 19kg. That's quite a bit more than I expected.

Lovely green Spacehopper: 16kg with saddlebag containing waterproof and tool kit. I frankly don't believe that.

The scales reckon I gained 7kg walking from one bike to the other...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #21 on: 18 January, 2014, 09:24:09 am »
Roberts 725 touring/audax style is 27lbs (12.5kg) with no bags or bottles but with an aluminium rear carrier.

Quinn 653 fixed wheel is 21lbs (9.5kg) with mudguards but no bag.

Longstaff 531 trike is 32lbs (14.5kg) with no bags or bottles.  Add a carrier, saddlebag and contents makes this 43lbs (19.5kg) as my daily ride.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22 on: 18 January, 2014, 09:29:48 am »
Ti Lapierre about 9 kg stripped & with Ksyrium wheels, more like 11 kg with SON hub+Open Pro rims, rear rack & lights.

LHT w. rack & 2" Supremes etc, around 16 kg.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #23 on: 18 January, 2014, 01:57:24 pm »
Ti Van Nic                              8kg
Carbon Scott                         8kg (prolly a smidge lighter than the VN - scales lack sufficient definition to be sure...)
Alu / Carbon Bianchi              9.5kg
Steel Pompino a shade under 10kg

All running on Mavic Ksyriums, except the Pomp which has Gold-tec on Velocity-V rims.
Pomp & Bianchi have mdgrds.

« Reply #24 on: 19 January, 2014, 02:58:06 pm »
Revolution Country Traveller with mudguards, pannier rack, lights, bottle cages and computer - about 14.2 kg.
Nazca Fuego with mudguards, pannier racks, side stand, bottle cages, mirror, computer and rear light - about 17kg.
Challenge Furai 26 with mudguards bottle cage, mirror and computer about 14kg.

The Challenge is the fastest. A bit slower than the Revolution up short steep hills but much faster everywhere else.