Author Topic: The one bike for most purposes?  (Read 18690 times)

IJL

Re: The one bike for most purposes?
« Reply #50 on: 20 May, 2016, 10:05:56 am »
what is it?

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #51 on: 20 May, 2016, 10:11:06 am »

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #52 on: 20 May, 2016, 10:13:48 am »
The Domane is a fast and comfortable road bike but it's far from being a bike for most purposes.

It's not the quickest bike for racing (too high at the front end), you can't carry loads on it, it's carbon so you need to be ultra careful about leaning it against anything.  It's actually far from practical.

Make a list of what you think the "most purposes" of a bike are and I'll rate the Domane out of 10 against each one.

BTW, I own one and it's very nice but I won't be hanging any panniers off it any time soon.  Load-carrying is something I see as an important purpose of a bike.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Samuel D

« Reply #53 on: 20 May, 2016, 10:20:37 am »
It’s an Open U.P. by Vroomen of Cervélo fame.

In fairness to Vroomen, it has many interesting details even though the usefulness of those details is debatable. Take the way he looped the right chainstay around the chainring, for example. That doesn’t look conducive to stiffness at a low weight, which is surely the only point of short chainstays in the first place, but it is clever in its perversity.

But the Open U.P. is a niche machine quite at odds with this thread’s title.

Someone who actually kept one bicycle at a time for most of his life was Jobst Brandt. His bicycle looked nothing like Vroomen’s. On it he commuted to work, did long weekend rides, and toured the Alps every summer with all of his luggage. Granted, he didn’t carry much luggage. And he lived in a sunny part of the world.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #54 on: 20 May, 2016, 10:50:19 am »
Granted, he didn’t carry much luggage.

A Carradice Camper (which he preferred using) is pretty big.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Samuel D

« Reply #55 on: 20 May, 2016, 11:01:32 am »
In his interview with Grant Petersen for Rivendell Rider (RR6), Brandt said he used a Nelson bag with less than 10 lb of luggage for long tours. I’d call that ultralight touring.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #56 on: 20 May, 2016, 11:20:37 am »
My recollection is mistaken then. He was not camping, so a Nelson still holds a fair bit of luggage.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #57 on: 20 May, 2016, 11:52:20 am »
Ha. I had to get a slammed headset top cap, remove all spacers, and am currently trying to get hold of a 17 deg stem to flip instead of the flipped 7 I have on my Domane. I hate being sat up in the wind. It's taken several hundred quids worth of physiotherapy and about 20 minutes a day practice to get back to that position post hernia surgery, and doubtless the weight loss has been helpful, but I can't stand feeling like I'm riding a Dutch bike.

Good man. 

Be warned though: I live close enough to you that should that lovely, drool-worthy bike go missing ...

« Reply #58 on: 20 May, 2016, 01:16:43 pm »
Much of this thread reminds me of the Cranes, and their 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth' about 30 years ago. The bikes they had were 'multi-purpose', and were essentially racing bikes with big tyres and racks. One of those would do most things, and be eligible for vintage events as well. Some of the pictures could serve for 'Adventure Cycling' promotions today.

Samuel D

« Reply #59 on: 20 May, 2016, 02:23:35 pm »
My recollection is mistaken then. He was not camping, so a Nelson still holds a fair bit of luggage.

He may have changed bags over the years. But is your point that his single bicycle was also able to carry a decent load when required?

I think that as long as you keep an occasional load under 10 kg you can carry that on a regular – if carefully chosen – road bicycle without too much compromise and that doing that is preferable to riding a stiff tourer unloaded most of the time. But this view may be informed by own personal lightness. Opinions obviously vary.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #60 on: 20 May, 2016, 02:40:54 pm »
I weight around 90kg at the moment. Up to 10kg in a well-attached big saddlebag doesn't make my road bikes ride badly. I still descend at 80+km/h, climb hills at a stately pace and wobble a little bit while trackstanding.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #61 on: 22 May, 2016, 09:49:08 am »
Seeing as I weigh north of 100Kg... can I carry more luggage (as a lower proportion of the total mass) or less (she cannae take much more, Captain!).

Everyone's favourite windbreak

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #62 on: 23 May, 2016, 06:09:30 pm »
My condor Fratello can do many things quite well and I have only 2.5 bikes which surely is not many for a yacfer.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #63 on: 23 May, 2016, 08:16:35 pm »
My condor Fratello can do many things quite well and I have only 2.5 bikes which surely is not many for a yacfer.

Is the tandem counting for 2 or for 0.5? On the basis that it is only half your bike or that it takes a "passenger" so counts double  :-\

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #64 on: 23 May, 2016, 08:18:34 pm »

Is the tandem counting for 2 or for 0.5? On the basis that it is only half your bike or that it takes a "passenger" so counts double  :-\

0.5 could also be a unicycle or a third of a tricycle.  Tandems are rounded up or down according to whether you're bragging, or trying to justify an n+1.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #65 on: 23 May, 2016, 08:38:04 pm »
Probably an MTB-based bike with mudguards (fitted with decent clearance), Marathon Plus tyres, flat bars and some sort of gearing.  Flat bars are better in traffic, even if they're a PITA into headwinds, and braking options are wider.  I would avoid derailleur gears on an everyday bike if at all possible, since the time taken declagging them on wet, dark weekends is too much to comtemplate.  Fixed is good if you live in a flattish place or don't have to carry much.  Otherwise, an efficient hub gear.  The extra pound or two is a worthwhile trade-off for lower maintenance.

My commuting bike is like this.  In 2012 I rode the Dunwich Dynamo without doing anything at all to it apart from topping up the tyres (it was pretty mucky, having not been cleaned since Easter), and did the fastest time I've ever managed.  I wouldn't race on it and it doesn't have a rack (I use a courier bag) but it will always get there in a reasonable time.  You wouldn't believe how little maintenance it demands; a chain or two per year, some oil and some air.  A rear sprocket every two years and a very occasional grease of the V-brake pivots with a new cable.  The brake pads have been on there since forever and the front rim is ceramic.  I overhauled the rear hub (3-speed + coaster) last year and wished I hadn't bothered; it was still clean inside after three years.

If your "everything" leans more towards long rides in hilly country and luggage, you probably want a touring bike.  They can handle horribly though* and they are not low-maintenance at all.

*my old Thorn Nomad was a horrible floppy thing when unladen but was surprisingly well-behaved with a load of stuff on the back.  My current Hewitt Cheviot is fine unladen but it's impossible to ride out of the saddle when it's loaded with camping gear.  Although I hated the handling of the Thorn at the time, with hindsight they actually got it right as a *touring* bike.  The 26" wheels were annoying, though, as there was little choice of fast tyres.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #66 on: 23 May, 2016, 09:00:07 pm »
If your "everything" leans more towards long rides in hilly country and luggage, you probably want a touring bike.  They can handle horribly though* and they are not low-maintenance at all.

*my old Thorn Nomad was a horrible floppy thing when unladen but was surprisingly well-behaved with a load of stuff on the back.  My current Hewitt Cheviot is fine unladen but it's impossible to ride out of the saddle when it's loaded with camping gear.  Although I hated the handling of the Thorn at the time, with hindsight they actually got it right as a *touring* bike.  The 26" wheels were annoying, though, as there was little choice of fast tyres.

...A Streetmachine doesn't give a stuff how much luggage you've got, isn't even that fussy about where it's distributed (the preload might benefit from a tweak), and can be ridden at sustained speeds of under 2mph without drama, but it doesn't really want to go around corners.

Agreed that reliability and low maintenance are different things.

Actually, darksiders in general are often good examples of "one bike" being a tourer.  You could argue that this is because  touring is what recumbent geometry is most useful for (and I'd generally agree), but I think it's more a case of people treating recumbents as a functional class of bike.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #67 on: 23 May, 2016, 09:05:49 pm »

0.5 could also be a unicycle or a third of a tricycle.  Tandems are rounded up or down according to whether you're bragging, or trying to justify an n+1.
The tandem counts for 0.5 as Mrs P owns the rear part of it.

Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #68 on: 23 May, 2016, 09:52:09 pm »
A "do it all" is why I have just had this guy built.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fireflybicycles/albums/72157668609729336/with/27156367765/

I'm sure it will come up short here and there, and I'll keep using my road racer (FF422) for racing on tarmac and fast audaxes. But for most everything else, I'm hoping the new pony will be able to tackle the job at hand.

Pick her up in Boston next week and looking forward to seeing how she handles.

often lost.

« Reply #69 on: 24 May, 2016, 07:39:04 am »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fireflybicycles/albums/72157668609729336/with/27156367765/

I'm sure it will come up short here and there, and I'll keep using my road racer (FF422) for racing on tarmac and fast audaxes. But for most everything else, I'm hoping the new pony will be able to tackle the job at hand.

Looks lovely and genuinely practical. It's easy to see its limits at either end of the spectrum, but in between it looks like a super deluxe general purpose bike. The carbon fork rules out front panniers, but if you don't use them anyway... Are the chain stays too short to allow full size rear panniers, or is it just chunky tyres making it look that way?

« Reply #70 on: 24 May, 2016, 09:14:41 am »

Purdy.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #71 on: 24 May, 2016, 02:07:46 pm »
^^ doesn't fulfill "leave-it-locked-on-the-street-in-london-and-find-it-later" criteria, apart from that - looks great. what's the story about the dogs? and is this bluey-purple vinyl film for sale anywhere?

« Reply #72 on: 24 May, 2016, 04:30:39 pm »
^^ doesn't fulfill "leave-it-locked-on-the-street-in-london-and-find-it-later" criteria, apart from that - looks great. what's the story about the dogs? and is this bluey-purple vinyl film for sale anywhere?

Chuckle.
Yep she won't be going out of my site when we are in a city.

The color on the ti frame is anodized on. Firefly are wicked good at that. You apply different currents for the desired colour and its permanent. The fork is painted. They are silhouettes of my dogs. (great dane, dalmatian and terrier) I sketched them out and sent them to Firefly. The abstract looking design on the stem are my dogs paw prints.

The Celtic Triskell and the coordinates are for La Roche Bernard in Brittany where I have a place and ride when on vacation.
The stylized signatures on the chain stay are the Firefly guys names that built the bike.

I'll do a bit of touring with small rear panniers, and bike pack gear, but nothing heavy duty like camping gear etc, so bike should handle the load ok.
 The plan is to do lots of gravel/all road events like Tro Bo Leon. & Dirty Kanza. She will take  44mm tyres.

FYI,
this is my road racer built be Firefly, love it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fireflybicycles/albums/72157650041139523
often lost.

« Reply #73 on: 24 May, 2016, 05:55:13 pm »
Both lovely.

« Reply #74 on: 24 May, 2016, 07:01:55 pm »
Well, they should be for the price, which is probably considerable, judging by the cost of the two components available for purchase from the store section of http://fireflybicycles.com/ , namely a $300 seat post and a $350 stem!  I have paid less for complete "general purpose" bikes!