Author Topic: Silly cyclepath obstructions  (Read 44104 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Silly cyclepath obstructions
« Reply #50 on: 27 March, 2017, 04:35:10 pm »
Ha ha! Well, I suppose tbf they might get out and push the button if they knew about it – but if they knew about it, they'd either take another route or simply jump it (I'm sure many take the second option anyway).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #51 on: 25 March, 2019, 03:14:03 pm »

Yes, we've installed kilometres and kilometres of off-road cycle track.  Job done!
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #52 on: 25 March, 2019, 07:08:58 pm »
That IS an excellent paint-job  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #53 on: 26 March, 2019, 08:57:55 am »
"Well you never said to take the trees and things out."
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #54 on: 15 August, 2019, 11:42:56 pm »
Posted previously on the rant thread:

These barriers are on all the access points (6 from memory) to Hob Moor in York.

They are all grouped with a kissing gate and a standard gate with a RADAR key for wheelchair users etc.
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

« Reply #55 on: 16 August, 2019, 06:57:07 am »
Looks weird.  I'm guessing the intent is to make it difficult to get a trail motorbike's handlebars through by leaning it.  Wonder how bad it'd be with a modern mtb with wide bars.  Obviously you could lift it over the fence, but...

(edit) it might even allow a single child trailer through straight on?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #56 on: 16 August, 2019, 05:04:51 pm »
What is the point of the grooves cut in the raised section? I can't work it out.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #57 on: 16 August, 2019, 05:17:28 pm »
Presumably to catch motorcycle foot-pegs?

There was a major problem with the local yobs stealing motorcycles and riding them around Hob Moor (One of York's ancient strays or parkland areas) then setting fire to them (in the usual case of the police not bothering to try and catch them) in an area that the fire brigade wouldn't be able to get to. The idea was that the grooves would catch on the foot-pegs and the A-frame would stop the m/c from being lifted over.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #58 on: 16 August, 2019, 05:22:45 pm »
Looks weird.  I'm guessing the intent is to make it difficult to get a trail motorbike's handlebars through by leaning it.  Wonder how bad it'd be with a modern mtb with wide bars.  Obviously you could lift it over the fence, but...

(edit) it might even allow a single child trailer through straight on?

Wide bar mtb's might have a problem, although people on sit-up-and-beg Dutch-style bikes seem to be able to get through. There is a RADAR key operable gate to the right of the first photo, which is an option for odd shaped bikes/trikes and trailers. I don't posses a 2-wheeled trailer, so I don't know how well they would fit. I know if I go that way with the BOB Yak single-wheel trailer I need to keep the RADAR key handy!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #59 on: 16 August, 2019, 05:30:22 pm »
The idea was that the grooves would catch on the foot-pegs and the A-frame would stop the m/c from being lifted over.

And then you've got a Silly Sustrans Gate™ with a motorbike stuck in it?  Not sure that's an improvement.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #60 on: 16 August, 2019, 05:36:24 pm »
The idea was that the grooves would catch on the foot-pegs and the A-frame would stop the m/c from being lifted over.

And then you've got a Silly Sustrans Gate™ with a motorbike stuck in it?  Not sure that's an improvement.

I don't know, they could torch the motorbike and see if it melted the Silly Sustrans Gate™ - Kill two birds with one stone...  ;)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #61 on: 16 August, 2019, 05:39:13 pm »
That's certainly what they'd do here and probably there too. At least that way they don't start a grass fire or melt the tarmac.

Yeah, I had thought about foot pegs but didn't think the channel looked deep enough. I guess it must be!

« Reply #62 on: 26 August, 2019, 01:31:51 pm »
They are all grouped with a kissing gate and a standard gate with a RADAR key for wheelchair users etc.

... and how would any motorcyclist possibly get hold of a Radar key ?

(Not having a go at you, yorkie, just at the utter stupidity of it).
Actually, it is rocket science.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #63 on: 26 August, 2019, 08:03:32 pm »

... and how would any motorcyclist possibly get hold of a Radar key ?

(Not having a go at you, yorkie, just at the utter stupidity of it).

That's City of York Council all over, never think two steps ahead.

Mind you, the mindless oafs who do that sort of thing aren't bright enough to think of getting a RADAR key. Most of them struggle to remember to look both ways when crossing a busy road!  ;)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #64 on: 04 September, 2019, 06:21:53 pm »
Putting this one here because it's infrastructure so poor it might as well be an obstruction:

(The stairs are welcome new access to the Birmingham & Worcester Canal at Selly Oak, which provides a useful pedestrian route to the new retail park from the High Street.  There's level access to the canal via a convoluted route on the other side of the Bristol Road, which is un-fun to cross at this point.)

Two cyclists came down the stairs carrying their bikes while I was taking photos.  I commented that they weren't using the splendid new wheeling ramp.  One replied to the effect that it was so steep they were concerned about doing a Basil.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #65 on: 04 September, 2019, 08:26:24 pm »
There's a bridge over a railway line in Cardiff with just that that either side - complete with the groove on the Sustrans Ely trail in Cardiff.  It's not so shiny and new so clearly this isn't a new idea sadly.
Unsurprisingly, I tend to abandon the trail at that point and cycle up Cowbridge road instead.  I have tried wheeling my bike up and down it for a laugh though - you *really* don't want to be losing grip on the handlebars  :-)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #66 on: 04 September, 2019, 08:35:07 pm »
There's a flight of steps a bit further down the canal that was built (using cycling money, no less) which sports no less than three different wheeling ramps, because that's how many goes it took to make one you could wheel a bike up.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #67 on: 05 September, 2019, 08:30:35 am »
I've encountered similar devices on supposed cycle routes in Bridgwater, Stroud and Bristol, though the last does have a ramp as an alternative – with a very awkward U-bend. The one in Stroud is quite nasty.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #68 on: 05 September, 2019, 12:55:45 pm »
Suggestion via twitter that it isn't for bicycles at all, but is in fact a geese ramp to open up new suicide possibilities on the A38...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #69 on: 08 September, 2019, 05:31:38 pm »
Putting this one here because it's infrastructure so poor it might as well be an obstruction:

(The stairs are welcome new access to the Birmingham & Worcester Canal at Selly Oak, which provides a useful pedestrian route to the new retail park from the High Street.  There's level access to the canal via a convoluted route on the other side of the Bristol Road, which is un-fun to cross at this point.)

Two cyclists came down the stairs carrying their bikes while I was taking photos.  I commented that they weren't using the splendid new wheeling ramp.  One replied to the effect that it was so steep they were concerned about doing a Basil.

We have something like that locally. It's not in a place I often cycle but I do use regularly as a ped. However, the stairs only have a hand rail on one side, and that's the side they put the ramp in on (retrofitted). Except they've installed the ramp further away from the side so you really can't use the hand rail at all.  :facepalm:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #70 on: 11 September, 2019, 07:12:58 pm »
Doesn't the ramp interfere with using the hand rail for some (probably smaller and less mobile) people?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #71 on: 11 September, 2019, 07:16:26 pm »
Doesn't the ramp interfere with using the hand rail for some (probably smaller and less mobile) people?

I expect it does.  It certainly would if it was a decent way out to avoid handlebar entanglement.  On the other hand (literally), there's a second flight of steps with a wheeling ramp on the other side, so you can choose one that's rampless on your preferred rail-holding side.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #72 on: 20 September, 2019, 09:32:44 am »
they have those on the footbridge at Cambridge station and on of the bridges out on the fens south of Wicken on an NCN.  I've never see it in use at Cambridge and on the rare occaision I'm station-biking I pick it up and walk up the stairs. 

As per ^^ they're generally too bloody steep
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #73 on: 21 September, 2019, 09:27:38 pm »
Our bike store at work actually has a similar concept.  They made a section of the concrete up the side accessible with a wheel, which works but is far from optimal.  You have to question the intelligence of someone who designs that into a dedicated bicycle storage area (built with the building, so not a later addition).  The only advantage over a metal trough is better grip when descending, but less clearance to the wall so a greater angle is required.

it's tolerable with an unloaded bicycle, but just about anything else makes it far worse, so heavy panniers (or other bicycle bags), trailers, tricycles, tandems etc all become various degrees of more troublesome.

We do have a second storage area with level access (ie a gate in a wall), which I mostly use these days since it's closer to my office, but it's entirely uncovered so less friendly on days with inclement weather.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #74 on: 04 March, 2020, 02:07:24 pm »

That wouldn't stop Steve Slade. I saw him ride his Kingcycle down the handrail of the Edinburgh Velodrome once, just for a laugh.
Roy