Author Topic: The Bread Thread  (Read 110984 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: The Bread Thread
« Reply #875 on: 13 December, 2023, 10:32:16 am »
Just looked her up on Wiki. Apparently she was blinded before being executed and was frequently represented in paintings with her eyes on a plate.  I reckon that's why your receipt calls for raisins in the swirls.

Crikey! That sounds a plausible explanation, although some of the other traditional shapes also have raisins inserted in the swirls and the number of swirls varies according to the shape.

This is what Magnus Nilsson has to say on the matter:
"This sweet saffron wheat dough is rolled out into many shapes, all having different names. The most common version - and the one favoured by industry, I guess for its simplicity - is the julgalt, or Christmas boar. This is often wrongly named lussekatt, or 'Saint Lucy's Cat', which, as you can plainly see from the illustration on the right, is a completely different shape."

St Lucy’s Day bun shapes by citoyen, on Flickr

None of these other shapes even exist according to the internet. If you look up "lussekatt" you only get pictures of the S-shaped buns.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #876 on: 04 January, 2024, 10:26:46 pm »
Something is going wrong with my bread (the same bread I've been making for months) at the moment. It's not got the same oven spring and the inside is all kinda doughy and tacky. I don't understand why.  :'(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

citoyen

The Bread Thread
« Reply #877 on: 05 January, 2024, 07:42:44 am »
Something is going wrong with my bread (the same bread I've been making for months) at the moment. It's not got the same oven spring and the inside is all kinda doughy and tacky. I don't understand why.  :'(

That doesn’t sound good! Bread is still largely a mystery to me, I confess, and I’m yet to learn how to get predictable results. I mean, I generally get good results these days but it’s always pot luck exactly how it will turn out and sometimes it still inexplicably goes wrong.

citoyen

« Reply #878 on: 05 January, 2024, 09:41:44 am »
What I baked in December - I think these all count as bread:

Panettone:

Adventures in baking, December 2023 by citoyen, on Flickr

Toscabullar:

Bagels already:

Was particularly pleased with how the panettone turned out - didn't quite get the rise I wanted but that's largely down to running out of time and needing to get it in the oven. It's quite an elaborate process, takes about three days from start to finish (it's made with a sourdough starter and very heavily enriched with egg yolks, sugar and butter, so proving takes a looooong time), but it's well worth the effort as home-made panettone is infinitely superior to anything you can buy in the shops.

Stage 1 dough - takes a lot of working but ends up with the most gloriously silky texture:

Stage 2 dough, yet more egg yolks and butter added, along with fruit and essences, shaped and placed in traditional panettone cases:

The Milanese tradition is to cut a cross in the top and add a knob of butter just before baking:

The finished article, prior to dusting with icing sugar:

Buon appetito:

I think I've posted about Tosca buns here before. They're like cinnamon buns but filled with almond sugar paste instead of cinnamon and topped with toffee and almonds. This was my best attempt yet but I still haven't quite mastered the topping - think I made the toffee too thick so it didn't properly coat the buns. Tasted divine though.

« Reply #879 on: 05 January, 2024, 11:28:30 am »

Had the same problem recently. Eventually I reduced the amount of water added from 300ml to 260ml, and it solved the problem.

Flour producers may have changed something. I use a 50/50 mixture of white and wholemeal, in a Panasonic breadmaker.

« Reply #880 on: 05 January, 2024, 02:49:43 pm »
Tosca buns
They do look good.
Just once I was at a local cafe/tearoom run by a charity when they had toscatorte and it was so delicious.
Hope they make it again sometime.

« Reply #881 on: 05 January, 2024, 02:51:06 pm »
Has anyone tried substituting ordinary sea salt for a low sodium version in their day-to-day bread?

citoyen

« Reply #882 on: 05 January, 2024, 03:20:53 pm »
Tosca buns
They do look good.
Just once I was at a local cafe/tearoom run by a charity when they had toscatorte and it was so delicious.
Hope they make it again sometime.

Or you could try making it yourself...
https://www.swedishfood.com/swedish-food-recipes-biscuits-cakes/202-tosca-cake

This recipe attempts to answer the obvious question: why Tosca? One suggestion is that the recipe was originally inspired by almond cakes from Tuscany, which sounds plausible.

« Reply #883 on: 05 January, 2024, 04:21:42 pm »
I did google it and have a recipe, and learnt a bit of history.
But with only two to feed, I don't make a lot of cakes/tarts, especially big ones.
I will get round to it - when we have eaten all the Ecclefechan tart in the freezer....
Now to google toscabullar

« Reply #884 on: 05 January, 2024, 04:30:03 pm »
What I baked in December

Dix points ;)

Has anyone tried substituting ordinary sea salt for a low sodium version in their day-to-day bread?

No reason why it shouldn't work, salt does nothing for the bread beyond flavour (actually inhibiting rising to an extent)

« Reply #885 on: 05 January, 2024, 04:32:40 pm »

Simple answer would be it's a different flour, but that sounds to radically different to account for that.

If it is yeast baking, it's typical sign your yeast is less than active. Add more to use it up, and change? Other possibility is your thermostat is out of kilter,  bake higher temp or longer

citoyen

« Reply #886 on: 05 January, 2024, 04:45:08 pm »
Now to google toscabullar

I did an image search a while ago to get an idea what they're supposed to look like but the results were so wildly variable that it was no help at all.  ;D

'Bullar' is just Swedish for buns. The recipe I use suggests making the 'snail' form, like traditional cinnamon buns (kanelbullar), but there are lots of other ways of rolling, folding and knotting the dough. The differences are mostly cosmetic. All the recipes in that section of my book are based on the same basic sweet wheat dough, flavoured with cardamom.

« Reply #887 on: 05 January, 2024, 04:47:32 pm »
Thanks, citoyen

« Reply #888 on: 05 January, 2024, 04:54:23 pm »
salt does nothing for the bread beyond flavour
I always thought salt was needed to "set" the gluten so the dough didn't collapse when baked.

« Reply #889 on: 05 January, 2024, 05:03:36 pm »

I've used nothing but low-sodium salt since getting my breadmaker in August without a problem.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #890 on: 05 January, 2024, 05:18:34 pm »
I always thought salt was needed to "set" the gluten so the dough didn't collapse when baked.

That's an easy answer: No, there for flavour only

citoyen

« Reply #891 on: 05 January, 2024, 05:26:24 pm »

Anyone* who has ever accidentally forgotten to add the salt to their dough and yet has found it turned out fine, if rather bland, will be able to tell you that salt is not necessary to make a perfectly acceptable loaf.

Tbh, I think the inhibiting effect of salt on yeast is also overstated - at least in the quantities it is normally used. Sugar has a similar effect (osmotic stress on yeast cells), which is one of the reasons very sweet doughs can be sluggish at the proving stage.

*BTDTGTTS

« Reply #892 on: 05 January, 2024, 05:41:36 pm »

*BTDTGTTS

T-Shirt? I have the Burberry Trench, the Gucci loafers AND the little black dress.

My experience is that the impact is most noticeable on dried yeast than fresh, and more so when it is getting old (for years i didn't keep it in the fridge which seems to reduce aging significantly.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #893 on: 05 January, 2024, 06:36:20 pm »
@cityoen those Tosca buns sound bloody amazing! Got a recipe?

@orienteer, I did think that when I started the dough it looked a bit wetter than I'm used to, but not crazily wet.

@Ham it's the 'same' flour. Although given it's merely Sainsbo's own strong white and stoneground wholemeal, it could well be different flour in the same packet.
Bloody annoying whatever it is.

@Ham, you keep dried yeast in the fridge?

« Reply #894 on: 05 January, 2024, 08:01:27 pm »
Thanks all. Low sodium salt will be tried.
But added after the first proving as is my custom - gives the yeast a chance to get working.

And I know nobody asked me, but I do keep dried yeast in the fridge.

Off topic, I read recently that if a breadmaker machine is set up on delay, and your kitchen is below 21C, the dough may get too cold to mix and rise properly. I've never used a breadmaker, so this might be rubbish.
And who keeps a kitchen at 21C overnight these days?
When I had a solid fuel AGA, yes. But in this penny-pinching electric era no chance.

« Reply #895 on: 05 January, 2024, 10:36:16 pm »

@Ham it's the 'same' flour. Although given it's merely Sainsbo's own strong white and stoneground wholemeal, it could well be different flour in the same packet.
Bloody annoying whatever it is.

@Ham, you keep dried yeast in the fridge?

Fridge for sure (Alinsons tins), never used to, but read the side of the tin one time and have never looked back. I used to up the amount as the tin got to the end, don't have to now.

I doubt the change in flour will affect the bread much, what you are describing is just too much moisture, so temperature would be my prime suspect

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #896 on: 06 January, 2024, 10:44:37 am »
Hmm interesting. I'm only using the yeast that comes in sachets so it shouldn't be that old either.

citoyen

« Reply #897 on: 06 January, 2024, 10:56:39 am »
I only use sachet yeast - I find the stuff in tins goes off too quickly even if kept in the fridge. Probably not an issue if you use it up quickly but most of my bread is sourdough.

Btw, I highly recommend Borwick's yeast from M&S - always very lively.

« Reply #898 on: 06 January, 2024, 10:59:22 am »
I use the Doves Farm dried yeast which appears to be vacuum packed, so just in the store cupboard until opened.
Then into an airtight pot and onto a shelf in the fridge.  I make bread 2-3 times a week but it still takes quite a few weeks to use the pot up.  Never had a problem with the yeast.
Can't buy fresh yeast anywhere near here.

citoyen

« Reply #899 on: 06 January, 2024, 12:00:15 pm »
Can't buy fresh yeast anywhere near here.

Supermarkets with in-store bakeries will often sell you fresh yeast. They don't advertise the fact, though - you have to ask the baker for it. I rarely bother but I have got it from the local Morrisons on occasion. The baker buys it in large blocks from which they will be happy to cut off a piece of the size you require. But you have to be in early because the baker will have clocked off for the day by lunchtime. Last time I bought some they charged me something ridiculous like 20p for 50g.