Author Topic: iLove my iPhone  (Read 25900 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: iLove my iPhone
« Reply #200 on: 28 June, 2010, 11:51:37 am »
Thanks - shame it doesn't also allow a lock in Landscape mode.

« Reply #201 on: 28 June, 2010, 11:55:05 am »
And lots of the stuff simply doesn't work on the 3G. There's no multi-tasking, no orientation lock, no home screen wallpapers and still no battery percentage display.

It still does all I need though, so I'm not complaining.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #202 on: 28 June, 2010, 04:32:29 pm »
I still can't upgrade :( WTF is going on.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #203 on: 28 June, 2010, 04:35:54 pm »
Hmmm... I am coming under pressure to upgrade Mrs H's 3GS to the new version of wowware but know someone else who has done this has experienced slow stuff going on and wishes they hadn't.

H

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #204 on: 28 June, 2010, 04:39:24 pm »
Hmmm... I am coming under pressure to upgrade Mrs H's 3GS to the new version of wowware but know someone else who has done this has experienced slow stuff going on and wishes they hadn't.

Does this someone else have a 3GS or a 3G? If it's the latter, it's because it's not fully compatible with the new OS. Shouldn't have those problems if you have a 3GS, assuming you're able to install it...

Sam, my colleague is also unable to perform the upgrade - and now his Mac won't let him do a  restore either. iTunes says he doesn't have the authority! He's ever so slightly pissed off about it.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #205 on: 28 June, 2010, 04:40:23 pm »
Not sure on that one but assumed it was the 3GS.

H

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #206 on: 28 June, 2010, 04:45:44 pm »

H

I upgraded my 3GS as soon it was available (as did Mrs JT and several friends) without any problems during or since.

a great mind thinks alike

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #207 on: 28 June, 2010, 04:53:54 pm »
And lots of the stuff simply doesn't work on the 3G. There's no multi-tasking, no orientation lock, no home screen wallpapers and still no battery percentage display.

yes, nothing in it for 3G users AFAICT.

« Reply #208 on: 28 June, 2010, 05:03:43 pm »
Just to add to the anecdata, my 3GS upgraded fine.  :)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #209 on: 28 June, 2010, 05:04:35 pm »
Just to add to the anecdata, my 3GS upgraded fine.  :)

Same :)
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #210 on: 28 June, 2010, 05:11:11 pm »
I love not having a mobile phone!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #211 on: 28 June, 2010, 05:17:05 pm »

yes, nothing in it for 3G users AFAICT.

Folders, combined Mail inboxes and erm, phrase instead of code for locking, and a few other things...

My 3G was definitely slower after the upgrade. I'd predict that an update comes out in the next month or so that speeds it up.

iPhone 4 is much faster.
It is simpler than it looks.

"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #213 on: 28 June, 2010, 06:44:22 pm »
I love not having a mobile phone!

I love having a very basic mobile phone for infrequent but essential calls and SMS texts.

I love having computers for computery things.
Costly fiddly gimmicky gadgets don't float my boat.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #214 on: 28 June, 2010, 06:48:28 pm »

I agree, Blackberries are crap, aren't they.

« Reply #215 on: 28 June, 2010, 06:48:55 pm »
It is a costly gadget, unless you have a specific use for it (other than texts and calls) in which case it is good value for money. The phone in iPhone really is a fairly minor part of it

(can't say the same for the iPad)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #216 on: 28 June, 2010, 07:03:55 pm »

I agree, Blackberries are crap, aren't they.

Dunno; don't have one. My Dad has spent £Lots on one and is still awaiting lessons on how to use it from Clever Grandson. Given that he has called my phone (from his mobile) accidentally on several occasions, due to the combination of large digits, old age, and small, fiddly controls, I am sceptical that this represents a wise investment on his part. My baby brother is brilliant on his Blackberry; he, at 32, does not have to contend with presbyopia etc like my Dad does at nearly 80.

I am unconvinced that small gadgets mix well with older people.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #217 on: 28 June, 2010, 11:28:29 pm »
Yay I got it upgraded. Turns out Linksys routers have proxy filtering on by default. Bastid. Once that was off, only took a few minutes to upgrade :D Waiting for it to optimise before I have a play.

Sam, my colleague is also unable to perform the upgrade - and now his Mac won't let him do a  restore either. iTunes says he doesn't have the authority! He's ever so slightly pissed off about it.

d.

Try using the restore app outside of itunes. Failing that restart the machine and wipe the bastid clean via disk utility
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #218 on: 28 June, 2010, 11:38:48 pm »

I am unconvinced that small gadgets mix well with older people.

A relative has an iPhone. She is 80. She manages to use it way better than any phone she has owned before.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #219 on: 29 June, 2010, 12:03:16 am »
Ok so upgrade complete, it's somehow managed to free up a 1GB of space over the old os. Speed wise it seems faster. And I dunno if it's just me but the camera seems to work better in low light. I'm not sure what the point of the Inboxes AND accounts in the mail app are for, why not just have one or the other?

Support Equilibrium

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #220 on: 29 June, 2010, 02:04:14 pm »
I've noticed that even with my screen on about 90% brightness, the battery seems to last longer. I've been using it since 10am and it's still on 88%. Which is worrying. And that includes some map usage, watching the news, facebook and taking a few snaps.

I have a feeling the firmware makes a difference to how it handles. I have the latest 3GS and the upgrade has been nothing short of great :D

Support Equilibrium

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #221 on: 29 June, 2010, 02:24:19 pm »
I've noticed that even with my screen on about 90% brightness, the battery seems to last longer. I've been using it since 10am and it's still on 88%. Which is worrying. And that includes some map usage, watching the news, facebook and taking a few snaps.

I have a feeling the firmware makes a difference to how it handles. I have the latest 3GS and the upgrade has been nothing short of great :D

Maybe I'm not going crazy then! Has anyone else found this?
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #222 on: 29 June, 2010, 02:49:21 pm »

If anything my battery seems to be running down a little faster than usual.

a great mind thinks alike

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #223 on: 29 June, 2010, 02:53:59 pm »

Seems so to me as well but I haven't tested it in any way remotely approaching scientifically

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #224 on: 29 June, 2010, 06:42:31 pm »
Video shot and edited on <a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=12819723&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=12819723&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>