Author Topic: iLove my iPhone  (Read 25894 times)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
Re: iLove my iPhone
« Reply #175 on: 24 June, 2010, 12:42:54 pm »
I'm going for it now. Fingers crossed it's good!
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #176 on: 24 June, 2010, 12:55:33 pm »
I tried it at 2am, 4am and 12pm today.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #177 on: 24 June, 2010, 12:58:41 pm »
I upgraded mine a few days ago. No improvements of any real significance to me.

« Reply #178 on: 24 June, 2010, 01:08:18 pm »
I don't know, Sam, other than that I've read of other people having problems too. Mine went smoothly, which isn't much use to you, I know!

« Reply #179 on: 24 June, 2010, 11:10:32 pm »
I've just updated, and am having to relearn how to use my phone.  :-[ (It's been a bad week). Is there a helpful manual of changes anywhere?
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #180 on: 24 June, 2010, 11:26:58 pm »
I couldn't find a manual but this this video explains most.

simonp

« Reply #181 on: 25 June, 2010, 12:19:05 am »
jo will be happy with the lock rotation thing.

red marley

« Reply #182 on: 25 June, 2010, 05:07:42 pm »
Indeed - now I can use it in bed (no sniggering please).

I'm also rather taken with the left handed only build in the new iPhone 4. I can't make head nor tail of the O2 web documentation, but does anyone know how much (if at all) an upgrade to the iPhone 4 from the iPhone 3G (not the GS) costs? I am on a Pay Monthly contract and am past the minimum contract period.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #183 on: 25 June, 2010, 06:49:11 pm »
Mines a 3G so no upgrade for me as a columnist writes "3GS users are generally happy, 3G users are hurling themselves off buildings".

simonp

« Reply #184 on: 25 June, 2010, 06:51:28 pm »
Mines a 3G so no upgrade for me as a columnist writes "3GS users are generally happy, 3G users are hurling themselves off buildings".

Hurl the phone off a building then claim you dropped it and get a 3GS on the insurance.

That's what I did.*

* But I really did drop it.  3GS is lovely.

« Reply #185 on: 25 June, 2010, 09:40:31 pm »
It's not as bad as they make out with the 3G, I've updated mine to iOS4. If anything the apps I use most often (Mail, Messages, Safari) load faster.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Jacomus

« Reply #186 on: 26 June, 2010, 06:17:31 pm »
Indeed - now I can use it in bed (no sniggering please).

I'm also rather taken with the left handed only build in the new iPhone 4. I can't make head nor tail of the O2 web documentation, but does anyone know how much (if at all) an upgrade to the iPhone 4 from the iPhone 3G (not the GS) costs? I am on a Pay Monthly contract and am past the minimum contract period.

Try this link

O2 | iPhone 4 Early Upgrade Offer | Upgrade early to iPhone 4 for existing O2 customers
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #187 on: 26 June, 2010, 06:33:24 pm »
O2 are offering 155 quid for old 'iPhone 3G's.  That was enough to persuade me to put myself on the waiting list to get the new one. Just waiting for apple to let me know when it arrives. As soon as I get it the old 3G gets sold to O2 to offset some of the cost.   

red marley

« Reply #188 on: 26 June, 2010, 07:03:52 pm »
Try this link

O2 | iPhone 4 Early Upgrade Offer | Upgrade early to iPhone 4 for existing O2 customers

Thanks. The implication of that page is that the upgrade is free if you have already exceeded the minimum contract period (which I have). So I'm not sure where the iPhone 3G owners throwing themselves off buildings thing comes from. I guess I need to brave the hell that is my local O2 shop to find out.

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #189 on: 26 June, 2010, 07:47:01 pm »
I bought my 3GS a couple of months ago knowing that a new model was coming out - and that prices would probably be higher.  Tesco had just hit my crucial price-point, so I crumbled.  Having looked at the iPhone 4, I can't see any reason that I personally would want to upgrade.  YMMV.  I'm hesitating over the iOS4 upgrade in case I lose everything...

Jacomus

« Reply #190 on: 26 June, 2010, 08:24:26 pm »
I bought my 3GS a couple of months ago knowing that a new model was coming out - and that prices would probably be higher.  Tesco had just hit my crucial price-point, so I crumbled.  Having looked at the iPhone 4, I can't see any reason that I personally would want to upgrade.  YMMV.  I'm hesitating over the iOS4 upgrade in case I lose everything...

My iOS4 upgrade hasn't done the phone any harm at all. I have a weird feeling that my battery life has increased a little, but I don't think that is possible.

I'm unconvinced by the folders thing, but I don't actually have many apps at all, so perhaps it isn't so designed for me. I do like the spell checker working in e-mail now.

simonp

« Reply #191 on: 26 June, 2010, 08:53:57 pm »
Try this link

Thanks. The implication of that page is that the upgrade is free if you have already exceeded the minimum contract period (which I have). So I'm not sure where the iPhone 3G owners throwing themselves off buildings thing comes from. I guess I need to brave the hell that is my local O2 shop to find out.

It can't be as bad as visiting the Cambridge Apple Store... can it?

Manotea

« Reply #192 on: 26 June, 2010, 09:18:29 pm »
I've recently renewed my contract, sim only. Works out about £10pm for 600min, Txt and data after cashbacks, so happy to forego the delights of free/cheap phone upgrade at ~3x the monthly cost. My 3G may look a bit oldskool in a years time though but de all I need for now.

« Reply #193 on: 26 June, 2010, 09:25:18 pm »
What deal is that Paul?

Manotea

« Reply #194 on: 26 June, 2010, 09:29:33 pm »
What deal is that Paul?

Carphone warehouse. Original £35pm contract with cashbacks on a XDA expired so I had a chat with terminations for a Sim only extension. When my XDA died mid contract I sold the new insurance replacement and bought an iPhone on eBay, so I'm on my second Sim only extension now.

« Reply #195 on: 28 June, 2010, 11:09:11 am »
The update to iOS4 really has made my 3G a lot slower.

Switching to camera, SMS, even turning off the alarm seems very sluggish.

Switching between input languages also is slower.

It's now laggy like a very laggy thing. Arse.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #196 on: 28 June, 2010, 11:16:24 am »
You're just saying that to give yourself an excuse to upgrade to a new iPhone, Gerald. ;)

For me, the screen rotation lock in the new OS is proving a real benefit already. And I love the folders. And the multitasking.

My only disappointment is that the BBC iPlayer is a web app rather than a proper standalone app, so you can't continue browsing the web while listening - you can't do do anything else in Safari while the Quicktime player is running.

I guess I could get round this by installing a different browser... any recommendations? When is Firefox coming out for the iPhone? Quite soon, isn't it?

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #197 on: 28 June, 2010, 11:29:37 am »

For me, the screen rotation lock in the new OS is proving a real benefit already.

How does that work?

Jacomus

« Reply #198 on: 28 June, 2010, 11:34:27 am »

For me, the screen rotation lock in the new OS is proving a real benefit already.

How does that work?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PRs1VTLse08&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/PRs1VTLse08&rel=1</a>

4.42 in the video.

Essentially, double click the button, scroll the menu to the left and press the button that looks like a refresh button.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #199 on: 28 June, 2010, 11:39:39 am »
Thanks, Jacomus, that vid explains it better than I could.  :)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."