Author Topic: Gas hob fault  (Read 2540 times)

Gas hob fault
« on: 17 December, 2019, 02:18:54 pm »
I had a dream* where I repaired a gas hob.  It had a oversize 5th centre ring for Wok use with a smaller gas ring in the centre of the wok ring.   The wok ring had two jets, one at the front and one at the rear, connected together through the casting under the central small ring.  The problem was that only the front half of the wok ring had flame.  Even with the jet unscrewed there was no gas coming out of the pipe.  In my dream I removed the ring and found that the pipe in the casting was blocked with a white substance which required a screwdriver to ream out the blockage.  It came out as dust and was hoovered clean.  When I woke up everything was working fine.

What causes the build up of this white stuff, I assume it is corrosion? It's unlikely to be food stuffs as it would need to pass through a 1mm hole in the jet to get there.

* It must have been a dream because I know one is not allowed to even look at a gas appliance without being registered to look after short legged dogs.

This kind of thing:

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Gas hob fault
« Reply #1 on: 17 December, 2019, 02:28:28 pm »
I had a similar dream once as well, but don't know what the powder in my dream was either.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 17 December, 2019, 02:40:34 pm »
Aluminium oxide/ corrosion?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rr

« Reply #3 on: 17 December, 2019, 03:02:40 pm »
Point of information: if it is you own place, where you live, it is not illegal. Not recommended, and may well void your insurance, but not illegal as long as you are competent.
See para 52 of https://www.hse.gov.uk/pUbns/priced/l56.pdf

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

ian

« Reply #4 on: 17 December, 2019, 03:34:47 pm »
Meth cook-off?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #5 on: 17 December, 2019, 04:10:55 pm »
Meth cook-off?

Well that would help explain the dreams :)

« Reply #6 on: 17 December, 2019, 04:15:16 pm »
If that is a Neff hob, could it not just be a spillage? The centre ring casting and cover also rusts which I think is a bit off in this day and age.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #7 on: 17 December, 2019, 04:39:47 pm »
That think is the magic spark maker.  Nothing else.

« Reply #8 on: 17 December, 2019, 05:33:23 pm »
Exactly, the gas comes out of the black holes/slits (of which you can see 15 of in that pic) below the ceramic/metal rings that sit on top.

Of course, there still might be some pipe between the two that was blocked by the white stuff, but it's nothing to do with the thing highlighted in the photo.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #9 on: 17 December, 2019, 07:10:17 pm »
Sorry, the picture is a bit confusing, it was meant to show the type of gas ring in question rather than anything specific.  The highlight is unfortunate and ought not be there.  The pipe in question is part of the intenals of the ring and cannot be seen without dismantling of the hob.  The gas comes from the tap, via an aluminium tube to one side of the wok ring and connected with a compression fitting.  The ring casting is 'drilled' to take the gas to the front jet and then continues to the rear jet.  The jets in my terminaology are small brass hex fittings with a 1mm hole in them.  The bockage was between the front and rear jets.

I assumed it was alluminium oxide, but why would it form?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: 17 December, 2019, 08:35:49 pm »
Have you boiled over any salted pasta water onto it?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #11 on: 18 December, 2019, 01:08:55 am »

Dream pasta

« Reply #12 on: 19 December, 2019, 01:51:59 am »
Point of information: if it is you own place, where you live1, it is not illegal. Not recommended, and may well void your insurance2, but not illegal as long as you are competent.
See para 52 of https://www.hse.gov.uk/pUbns/priced/l56.pdf

"Competent", of course, is carefully not defined in the legislation. That said, if it goes bang, you probably weren't.

1: Doesn't have to be your own place, doesn't have to be where you live. You just have to be not doing it for money (where doing it in a place you rent out counts as being for money), but doing it for mum, dad or a mate as a favour is fine.

2: Only if you weren't competent. And they'll only find that out if it goes bang.

« Reply #13 on: 19 December, 2019, 08:28:13 am »
Don't be tempted to use a small screwdriver to clean out the jets. The size and shape is important. Use something softer. Brass brush or similar.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #14 on: 19 December, 2019, 08:33:59 am »

Every time I cook. It waits, patiently seething, till the moment I move away.

« Reply #15 on: 19 December, 2019, 10:02:31 am »

Every time I cook. It waits, patiently seething, till the moment I move away.

Lie a wooden spoon on top of the pan, stops this most of the time.

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/31029/how-can-a-wooden-spoon-be-used-to-prevent-water-from-over-boiling
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #16 on: 19 December, 2019, 12:19:38 pm »
Don't be tempted to use a small screwdriver to clean out the jets. The size and shape is important. Use something softer. Brass brush or similar.

I think I said it wasn't the jet that was blocked and therefore it wasn't boiling water overspill.  How do you lay a spoon across a saucepan with the lid on?  You do use a lid. don't you?

ian

« Reply #17 on: 19 December, 2019, 12:31:28 pm »
There's a separate place for posts about helmets. But I choose to wear one when making pasta. Just in case.

Vernon

• zzzZZZzzz
« Reply #18 on: 19 December, 2019, 01:53:08 pm »
There's a separate place for posts about helmets. But I choose to wear one when making pasta. Just in case.
Couldn't you achieve the same effect by placing the colander upside down on your head (before use, obviously)?

ian

« Reply #19 on: 19 December, 2019, 02:04:47 pm »
Not really, well not if you're cooking spaghetti, as it'll fit through the holes. Special precautions people, special precautions.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #20 on: 20 December, 2019, 11:14:13 am »
There is a certain amount of dusty crap that comes through the pipes with the gas but it isn't usually white.  Probably spills and/or powdery alu corrosion, as suggested.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.