Author Topic: Memory Map 3500 announced  (Read 1279 times)

Memory Map 3500 announced
« on: 15 October, 2010, 05:42:42 pm »
Have just received an advertising e-mail about this; a 3.5" screen version of their 2800 model. Probably other differences too. See:
Memory-Map Adventurer 3500

I've not seen any chat about how good, or not, the MM 2800 is for cycling use. I use a Satmap sometimes, or a Garmin. Each has its merits and shortcomings. Does anyone use a MM 2800 much for cycling?

robD

Re: Memory Map 3500 announced
« Reply #1 on: 20 October, 2010, 07:16:50 pm »
I bought one for a trip through France this summer and it was great with the IGN 100 maps, it certainly made it easier than the previous year when I spent about an hour a day poring over maps trying to find my way.

The battery lasted 8 hours almost exactly, which meant on long days I tried to plug it in to recharge if I stopped for lunch somewhere that had a plug socket.  Otherwise I'd charge it in the evening using my PowerMonkey.  The problem was that to recharge it completely would take a full PowerMonkey charge.  So I had to charge the PowerMonkey, then charge the 2800, then re-charge the PowerMonkey if I needed to charge phone, ipod and the like.

It also had one other bit of behaviour that caught me out once.  The 2800 automatically saves its tracks throughout the day.  If it runs out of battery power it turns itself off.  If the those two things happen at the same time you lose your track!  Unfortunately there's no visible battery level indicator visible while you're in map view, you have to quit the map application in order to check your battery, which is a bit of a pain.

Having said all of that, being able to zoom in and out, follow routes drawn on MM, and search for towns was fantastic.

Rob