Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3813962 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #575 on: 21 May, 2008, 09:46:17 am »
I've managed a clipless commute, there and back.

Yay you! :D

It is slightly less fun than the longer rides, because there are lots of iffy situations where I have to clip out just in case (ie crossing from New Bond St/Old Bond st on the little bit of path that lets cyclists go straight ahead, pedestrians like to jump on there in front of you) but I think I will get used to it.

It'll become a natural twitch before too long.  I've flicked my heel out when I've been riding with toe clips (and, in a distracted moment, when I've been getting ready to get off a tube :-[ )
Getting there...

« Reply #576 on: 21 May, 2008, 10:19:43 am »

Very good. :thumbsup:

You may have worked this out yourself, but when you're approaching a point where you may need to stop, you can just twist your foot out of the pedal, but leave it poised almost in the pedal (if that makes sense).  If you need to stop, you can put you foot down, if you don't, then a little force on the pedal will re-engage the cleat in the pedal, and you're off without having to try and find the pedal/cleat engagement position again.

It does amuse me on rides like the FNRttCs, where everyone pushes off with a mass of clicks of SPDs !
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #577 on: 21 May, 2008, 10:30:07 am »
Yesterday Woolly and I did a lovely (and hard!) 47 miles up hill and down dale from Buckfastleigh to the coast at Slapton, and back via the delightfully named Rattery. "What goes down, must come up" was the theme of the day ;)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #578 on: 21 May, 2008, 10:34:35 am »
It does amuse me on rides like the FNRttCs, where everyone pushes off with a mass of clicks of SPDs !

Well done, NSTN.

I remember on my first FNRttC (Aug 2006), the point at which we left HPC was the first time I had ridden in a group for about 20 years and the first time I had come across SPDs. I likened the noise to 100 Coke cans being simultaneously crushed.

FWIW, I have just removed the SPDs from my Thorn and replaced them with old-fashioned "rat-traps" because I am getting a lot of arthritic pain in my left ankle atm and frequent unclipping is painful.

I've still got them on the Mercian, and this morning I had a gorgeous blast, covering 18+ miles in less than 80 minutes, which is very quick for me. My ankle's not too bad today, which helped a lot.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

annie

« Reply #579 on: 21 May, 2008, 12:31:52 pm »
Yes, went up to school for a meeting.  I was an interesting sight in my lycra, hands covered in oil after the chain came off.  I told everyone that it wouldn't affect my ability to discuss funding.

I think I cycled about 15 miles in total, haven't replaced my computer so no idea of speed etc and to be honest not sure I now want to replace it at all.  The only problem with that is that I think I pushed myself too hard and ended up exhausted, I also had a headache that came on about a mile down the road.

All in all the journey was uneventful but for one lady who tried to squidge me as she attempted to get her vehicle between me and a bollard and then at the next junction said "I don't think that was very clever", the HGV's and buses were for the most part quite polite.  I had an interesting time waiting for the train barriers to go back up, there was a moped behind me, revving his engine..... he caught me up eventually.

But.....the great news is that my bottom is ok.  I lowered the saddle, and tilted the nose slightly.  I think this has worked for my bottom but it made it harder on my legs :-\

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #580 on: 21 May, 2008, 06:27:42 pm »
Oh yes.  Trundle up to town; potter round; spin to Hyde Park; trundle home :thumbsup:
Getting there...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #581 on: 21 May, 2008, 06:34:10 pm »
...the first time I had come across SPDs. I likened the noise to 100 Coke cans being simultaneously crushed.

I thought they were polystyrene cups being ridden over when I first heard the noise - on the Tunnels Ride in 2005.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

CathH

« Reply #582 on: 21 May, 2008, 07:03:42 pm »
the great news is that my bottom is ok.

Hurrah!  Bet that's a relief.

« Reply #583 on: 21 May, 2008, 07:05:36 pm »
I've just come back from a few days cycling on Jersey.
Wonderful roads with 15mph limits  ;D

Today was a bash on the Brompton across scenic Aldershot and Basingstoke  :(

alan

« Reply #584 on: 21 May, 2008, 07:14:48 pm »

the great news is that my bottom is ok. 

Yes it is ;)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #585 on: 21 May, 2008, 07:28:51 pm »
At the risk of repeating myself, it is a veritable queen amongst bottoms. An absolute peach. ::-)

« Reply #586 on: 21 May, 2008, 07:39:22 pm »
Thank you for all the clipless encouragement  :thumbsup:

I am currently recognisable by the fact that I am so paranoid that I unclip about 10 metres before every junction unless there's a green light (and there are a LOT of junctions on my commute). Any closer and I panic which seems to magically lose me the ability to unclip.

The FNRttC was my first experience of mass clipless, I did wonder what all the clicking was at first. Then the next month I was contributing to it!

Glad to hear about the bottom news Annie :)

vince

« Reply #587 on: 21 May, 2008, 09:30:05 pm »
Mass clipping in is a wonderfully evocative sound. This is mainly down to the fact that I associate it with forum rides, of which I have never had a bad one.

I had a rough ride today. My first ride on my summer bike, which is always a sweet moment, it is like getting into a sports car after spending the winter driving a family saloon. I felt tired though, since last Wednesday I have done 140 miles, which is a lot for me. Today I felt slow and achey. Still, I'm on call now until Tuesday so plenty of recovery time.

Nice ride though: Chesterfield, Calow, Poolsbrook, Mastin Moor, Renishaw, Killamarsh, Eckington, Whittington, Chesterfield. About 22 miles of rolling hills.

annie

« Reply #588 on: 21 May, 2008, 09:50:42 pm »
I've just come back from a few days cycling on Jersey.
Wonderful roads with 15mph limits  ;D

Today was a bash on the Brompton across scenic Aldershot and Basingstoke  :(

Ohhh my home town :)

annie

« Reply #589 on: 21 May, 2008, 09:51:54 pm »
At the risk of repeating myself, it is a veritable queen amongst bottoms. An absolute peach. ::-)

Gosh folks, so glad you like my bottom, it serves a purpose, it is without a doubt a bonus to me and it goes with me wherever I go.  It has been a good companion for the most part.

Just back from the local time trial :o

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #590 on: 21 May, 2008, 09:59:59 pm »

So am I. Found guilty and sentenced to ten miles hard labour.

Bet you went faster than I did.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

annie

« Reply #591 on: 22 May, 2008, 12:42:45 am »

So am I. Found guilty and sentenced to ten miles hard labour.

Bet you went faster than I did.

..d

Might be difficult as I only went to watch.  I did however find myself being rather drawn.  Mmmmm

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #592 on: 22 May, 2008, 01:24:53 am »
I've been out 3 times today - a little over 40 miles.

annie

« Reply #593 on: 22 May, 2008, 10:04:15 am »
Went out for our run, longest so far this year. :thumbsup:  6.5-7 miles, really pleased, really hot and glowing and feeling wonderful.  Mostly off road, so wet feet and amazing weather. :)

Happy bunny

« Reply #594 on: 22 May, 2008, 10:22:08 am »
A varying number of us meet on Wednesday evenings at one of several village pubs between here and Exeter. Yesterday it was the smallest village, a place off the beaten track. The pub is a thatched white building at the roadside. The garden is a rough mown field with some benches and a clothesline. I was a bit late and S was sitting outside. My pint was ready waiting. Only the two of us tonight. The pub was quiet because most folk were at home watching the football.

After a while it got cold and we went inside. Craig, the owner of the disabled buggy, greeted us. He's a regular, has his own marked parking space. He can only manage single words, and those not always clearly. He's sometimes obviously frustrated trying to communicate. He will pat his head and repeat "Head, head..." then "Car, car..." Which is the abbreviated story of how he was knocked off his bike and left with serious head injuries and mobility problems.

Two men, one young, one old, are the only other occupants of the bar. The young fellow is in heavy boots and an old jacket. He's a farm worker having a break before going back to work. The old chap is so weather-beaten he appears at first glance not to have washed for months. The combination of an accent stronger than I've heard for a while, and a complete lack of teeth, makes it hard to understand him at first.

Craig calls "Wah?" repeatedly until he's told it's one-one. The Landlord and his wife are rushing about and looking harassed because there's a family having a meal at the far end.

The old man questions us about where we've come from and wants details of our routes. Each time we mention a place he repeats the name as if reflecting on memories.

"So you comes out ere of an evenin an meets up, eh?" This with a broad grin and a filthy laugh.

I said S and I were only cycling friends, at which he cackled loudly and twisted round on his stool. His hand made a fist, and just momentarily, thumb and little finger lifted.

"You stirrin it?" Said the young man to him.

"No, no. I woont do at." He was still laughing.

After a while they depart. We drink up and leave. At the crossroads by the cowsheds we part company.

I encounter several large tractors in the lanes, arrayed with lights  for night-time harvest. There's a freshly killed fox lying on the white line on the main road. Owls twit - but no answering to-woo - in the trees. Something runs across ahead, possibly a fox, though it looks darker and appears to have longer back legs.

And so up the hill and home.

alan

« Reply #595 on: 22 May, 2008, 12:49:40 pm »
I cut a couple of large cardboard boxes into strips & filled two large panniers to take them to the recycle place.
Deliberately chose the longer very hilly route outbound 'cause I need the practice.
When I got there the place is closed today :(
Chose a slightly shorter less hilly route back.
The wireless computer on the Longstaff is about as usefull as t*ts on a fish & when I go back with the cardboard the computer will go in the skip also.
I reckon about 16 km ,defineatley(sp) 55 mins & really enjoyed the ride in this lovely weather.

GillP

« Reply #596 on: 22 May, 2008, 01:01:44 pm »
I cut a couple of large cardboard boxes into strips & filled two large panniers to take them to the recycle place.
Deliberately chose the longer very hilly route outbound 'cause I need the practice.
When I got there the place is closed today :(
Chose a slightly shorter less hilly route back.
The wireless computer on the Longstaff is about as usefull as t*ts on a fish & when I go back with the cardboard the computer will go in the skip also.
I reckon about 16 km ,defineatley(sp) 55 mins & really enjoyed the ride in this lovely weather.

Excellent news  :thumbsup:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #597 on: 22 May, 2008, 01:07:04 pm »
Yet another run out today, the tan lines are coming on great guns...

24 miles in the glorious sun shine, with views to die for, just reminds me nicely why we moved back up here...

God I love North Yorkshire :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #598 on: 22 May, 2008, 03:43:56 pm »
A very fine commute with pub & Fatters.

What else does one require?

cometworm

« Reply #599 on: 22 May, 2008, 03:52:25 pm »

A long pootle around London Town, including an abortive trip to the climbing centre (not open) and some bike fettling for a budding cycle-commuter friend. I'm storing up cycle-karma and hoping this will magically fix the drivetrain issues my road bike is suffering from.