Author Topic: YACF LEJoG Relay  (Read 177385 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: YACF LEJoG Relay
« Reply #50 on: 13 November, 2010, 02:26:11 pm »
As discussed with various forumites, I've never actually been to Scotland, and am loosely planning on doing a cycling trip there next year, via Cornwall. :)

So I may be of help with some of the more remote parts, as well as the obvious Midlandy bits.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #51 on: 13 November, 2010, 02:47:38 pm »
There are five forumites in the Tamworth\Swadlincote area that I know of: Myself, Datameister, Marmite Geoff, Chris N & Docsquid.  I'd happily do the leg from mine to Datameisters all 0.5 miles of it  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #52 on: 13 November, 2010, 03:02:24 pm »
Will be pleased to do some of the Midlands south of Brum, maybe linking up with one or more of the Tamworth brigade somewhere agreeable.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #53 on: 13 November, 2010, 03:15:11 pm »
I could do south Lancs to north Lancs. I think ChocolateBike and RDaviesB might fit in there somewhere too.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #54 on: 13 November, 2010, 03:16:26 pm »
How about each baton carrier carves something new onto it. Then we could have photos of bloody injuries and A&E departments around the country.  ;D

« Reply #55 on: 13 November, 2010, 03:28:06 pm »
There seems to be a lot of planning going on here. I like the idea of keeping it random. Just get it going, take the baton somewhere and whoever is nearby or will be passing that way sometime can take it and so on. Either pass it on to someone ASAP, regardless of where they are going or even hide it in a grass verge for someone else to pick up, which might be a plan in Scotland.
I think the not having a plan would make it more interesting becasue it would bring more different ideas to the ride and the story of the baton would be much more varied. Someone could pick it up en route to somewhere and it could mean that they detour to do so, so could end up taking people somewhere they'd not normally go and discover new things. It'd be good if it was carried on YACF social rides, Audax or even TTs, whatever people like to do. Could just be a ride to the shops or commute. It may be passed on several times in a day, it may do several hundred miles wth one person, then a few meters with another.
Maybe it will never get to JOG and will keep on going for decades?
Is there going to be a time restriction or are we just going to keep it going until it happens to arrive at JOG?

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #56 on: 13 November, 2010, 03:34:31 pm »
There seems to be a lot of planning going on here. I like the idea of keeping it random. Just get it going, take the baton somewhere and whoever is nearby or will be passing that way sometime can take it and so on. Either pass it on to someone ASAP, regardless of where they are going or even hide it in a grass verge for someone else to pick up, which might be a plan in Scotland.
I think the not having a plan would make it more interesting becasue it would bring more different ideas to the ride and the story of the baton would be much more varied. Someone could pick it up en route to somewhere and it could mean that they detour to do so, so could end up taking people somewhere they'd not normally go and discover new things. It'd be good if it was carried on YACF social rides, Audax or even TTs, whatever people like to do. Could just be a ride to the shops or commute. It may be passed on several times in a day, it may do several hundred miles wth one person, then a few meters with another.
Maybe it will never get to JOG and will keep on going for decades?
Is there going to be a time restriction or are we just going to keep it going until it happens to arrive at JOG?

Agreed.

H

LEE

« Reply #57 on: 13 November, 2010, 04:04:48 pm »
News just in..

I now have a Baton, tuirns out that WICKES DIY sell them (alternative use - Staircase spindle).

I'll be sawing to length tomorrow and applying some paint/varnish.

Rather than try to carve it I may see if the local cobbler/trophy shop can engrave a small "dog-tag" plaque.

I think it should get a notch for every time it does a LeJog.

Next step will be to get it to LE.  The Faccombe 4 are doing the Anoraks Delight 200 next sunday and passing through Amesbury around 4pm.

Is anyone close to Amesbury heading out West soon?

« Reply #58 on: 13 November, 2010, 04:07:43 pm »
i am happy to take into london or out of london or from slough  :thumbsup:. i am looking forward to it already  ;D
the slower you go the more you see

LEE

« Reply #59 on: 13 November, 2010, 04:11:50 pm »
Rule 3: We shall not be bothered how long it takes to get to JoG, it's about the jouney not the destination (puke).

Rule 4:We shall not be bothered how many times it completes the journey (or even if it's journey involves Paris or Brest)

Remember though that photos and ride reports are mandatory.

Special Rule 5: Hummers shall not make it necessary for the recipient to wear surgical gloves when handing over the baton. 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #60 on: 13 November, 2010, 04:47:04 pm »
Special Rule 6: Flatus is not to put the baton anywhere near his socks.
Getting there...

« Reply #61 on: 13 November, 2010, 07:00:58 pm »
Having it pass through every county town would be nice
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #62 on: 13 November, 2010, 07:17:34 pm »
Perhaps when it finds its way into That London, it might just happen to cross the Thames over every bridge the capital has available?

This could be a kind of physical Mornington Crescent (and yes, it has to go there).
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #63 on: 13 November, 2010, 07:18:46 pm »
I will take it from Bristol to the Welsh contingent or to Stow... or anywhere within a 50 miles radius of Bristol!

May be we could aim for the longest ever E2E in which case pointless miles such as going from Chepstow to Anglesey and back would be appropriate!

I think that Lee is just on the brink of inventing a new sport... 

Surely the baton has to do an SR series and PBP?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #64 on: 13 November, 2010, 07:22:21 pm »
Perhaps when it finds its way into That London, it might just happen to cross the Thames over every bridge the capital has available?

Crossing each bridge once and only once, Euler style?

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #65 on: 13 November, 2010, 07:28:04 pm »
Im Manchester. Anyhelp ?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #66 on: 13 November, 2010, 07:32:42 pm »

Whoever took it would have to make sure they crossed the first one in the right direction!

« Reply #67 on: 13 November, 2010, 07:51:03 pm »

Yes, but with the Thames, it's rather a lot easier, and in fact is trivially possible, unlike Königsberg at the time.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #68 on: 13 November, 2010, 08:04:38 pm »
Just in case anyone is wondering what Kim and I are on about, it's was the problem that probably formed the basis for Graph Theory and was solved by Leonhard Euler.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #69 on: 13 November, 2010, 08:13:10 pm »
Just in case anyone is wondering what Kim and I are on about, it's was the problem that probably formed the basis for Graph Theory and was solved by Leonhard Euler.

Seven Bridges of Königsberg (Wikipedia)

I remember doing this in 1st year maths at grammar school (1965).

IIRC a net is only traversable if it has either 0 or 2 odd nodes.

« Reply #70 on: 13 November, 2010, 08:13:32 pm »
Any chance of it heading anywhere near Brighton/Eastbourne?
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #71 on: 13 November, 2010, 08:14:05 pm »

...and not including the fecking Dartford Crossing, because it's just too much faff.

We could do the Woolich ferry though, since that's kind of fun on a bike!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #72 on: 13 November, 2010, 08:14:34 pm »

Only if you dangle it over Beachy Head on a string!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #73 on: 13 November, 2010, 08:19:34 pm »

Only if you dangle it over Beachy Head on a string!  :thumbsup:

Done. On the condition that said baton has a hole drilled in it for the ease of tying-ness. Cos if it falls off I'm not going after it.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #74 on: 13 November, 2010, 08:23:01 pm »

This could be a kind of physical Mornington Crescent (and yes, it has to go there).
Riding over London Bridge this morning I was thinking about doing just that again (did it a few times years ago with other nutty messenger types I worked with when we were bored) we would start at Tower and end at the one by Hampton Court but vary the crossing combination if you see what I mean- it works out at quite a few miles, none of us had bike computers then but it worked out about 50 miles I guess (but we used to do one circuit at least of Richmond Park) and then the ride back- I think there were twenty (road) bridges
Sounds like a great idea to me.