Author Topic: Ted Dexter (1935-2021)  (Read 1787 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Ted Dexter (1935-2021)
« on: 26 August, 2021, 12:06:17 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/aug/26/former-england-cricket-captain-ted-dexter-dies-aged-86

I'm not sure that I would entirely agree with the quote in the article that he was one of England's "greatest ever" cricketers. He was good, and certainly prominent around the time that I first started to take an interest in the game, but I think he has been eclipsed by quite a few since. But then of course the game has changed almost out of recognition in the 60 years since Dexter was in his pomp and such comparisons are possibly a bit futile.

His 30 tests as England captain were second only to Peter May's at the time. Brian Close was an almost precise contemporary of Dexter's and should have been England captain far more often, but was just far too common and outspoken at a time when there were still a few "gentlemen" playing.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Ted Dexter (1935-2021)
« Reply #1 on: 26 August, 2021, 12:26:22 pm »
I think I agree with that assessment, Wow.  Certainly his bowling figures are worse than average.  But I think you've left something out - He was so good to watch: Tall, elegant, violent and full of strokes.  He puts me in mind of the fictional cricketer who is the lead in one of CP Snow's books (was it The New Men?) who was at pro-level but just like to play nets, so he could go on doing the shots, rather than protecting his wicket.  Often needed a lot of balls (pun intended) when Dexter was playing.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2 on: 26 August, 2021, 01:30:44 pm »
One of many England cricket captains not born in England.

Others: Tony Lewis, Mike Denness & Owen Morgan obviously. Colin Cowdrey, Freddie Brown,  Andrew Strauss, Plum Warner, Douglas Jardine, Lamb, Pietersen, Stokes, Tony Greig and probably several others.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3 on: 26 August, 2021, 01:37:34 pm »
Trinidad-born Colonel George Robert Canning Harris, 4th Baron Harris for one.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #4 on: 26 August, 2021, 04:46:37 pm »
Imagine forgetting that!

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #5 on: 26 August, 2021, 05:00:59 pm »
On a similar note, Lord Hawke, who masterminded the rule that only Yorkshire-born cricketers could represent the county, was born in Lincolnshire. Several editions of LEL went through Willingham by Stow past the house where he was born. 
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #6 on: 26 August, 2021, 05:21:20 pm »
One of many England cricket captains not born in England.

Others: Tony Lewis, Mike Denness & Owen Morgan obviously. Colin Cowdrey, Freddie Brown,  Andrew Strauss, Plum Warner, Douglas Jardine, Lamb, Pietersen, Stokes, Tony Greig and probably several others.

Nasser Hussain, for one.