Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3903596 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #24300 on: 08 February, 2021, 01:18:26 pm »
Utility trip on the Brompton. Light dusting of snow, not yet stuck to surfaces so fine to cycle in.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #24301 on: 08 February, 2021, 01:58:38 pm »
Just shy of 18 miles. Forecast was 30% chance of heavy showers. Map shied rain, but at 0.5mm/h. Went out. Within 10 minutes it was bucketing down. Got to the half way point, went through the “road closed” signs as I know they leave a bit for walkers and cyclists, to be confronted by today’s motorised moron, the drive of a 40t artic, that had tried to sneak past, and destroyed the nearside verge by sliding his wheels into the 1m deep ditch, leaving him beached. Turned around and went home. Rain stopped about 20 minutes out.

What is this I read? Surely in post-Brexit pre-colonial Britain sovereignty concerns would exclude nasty 40t continental juggernauts in favour of the good old british smoke-( and fume) belching 32t artic?
40t on 5 axles, 44t on 6 axles. Hasn't been 32t since... late 70s?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #24302 on: 08 February, 2021, 10:04:03 pm »
A nice 42km outing in local lanes, on my recumbent, after Beast from East 2 finally turned up. Winter tyres are great, no slipping at all, even up a 8% hill.

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #24303 on: 09 February, 2021, 05:33:30 pm »
This morning there was a covering of snow on the ground, but then it cleared and by lunchtime the roads became dry... I managed to ride for an hour at a decent pace... quite pleased with that, I wasn't expecting to ride at all this week, from the forecast

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #24304 on: 09 February, 2021, 05:54:26 pm »
Seventeen miles on my hardtail , mainly in and around local parks. Great to hear the crunch of some form of white stuff under my 2" knobblies again. Would have been better if I'd had a bit more tread on the rear though. I knew that 35 year old skiing gear would come in handy again one day.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #24305 on: 10 February, 2021, 12:42:08 pm »
IMG_1562 by mark tilley, on Flickr

31 KM today, got caught in a bit of heavy snow, but it didn't last long.

« Reply #24306 on: 10 February, 2021, 04:27:32 pm »
First bike ride for some months

On reflection, doing 60km over the hills of harris and lewis wasn't wise.

But it was fun.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #24307 on: 12 February, 2021, 03:30:21 pm »
4th consecutive day out on the bike and 100 km this week, half of what I normally do, but not bad, considering I thought it would be a complete write off... and next week it's going to get mild...  :thumbsup:

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #24308 on: 12 February, 2021, 03:44:29 pm »
35km today on Olive, 120km so far this week, but a very careful 120km

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #24309 on: 12 February, 2021, 04:04:33 pm »
Fourth day in a row for me too. All in local parks on the hardtail. 17,20,20,16 miles or118 km for those that prefer that sort of thing.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #24310 on: 13 February, 2021, 10:26:20 am »
very briefly this morning, too cold tho, at -4,  only 7.5km.  Even the ice was frozen!.  I thought, ''actually , this is a tad silly'', after nearly having 2 'offs'. Home for a brew,and leave the foolishness to others.  ;)  Nice and sunny tho' .

« Reply #24311 on: 13 February, 2021, 02:18:47 pm »
The temp would have been ok, or the wind. But the combination of -3C and a 30+mph wind was too much. So no. It’s even been, for me, too cold to use the turbo in the shed. Next week is looking a lot better.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #24312 on: 13 February, 2021, 08:42:54 pm »
After not being out all week and missing some gloriously sunny days (work) I got out today, 36km up to the top of the Campsies and then out the glen.  Mostly dry roads too despite the snowflakes constantly blowing about, its just been so dry here.  The car park and all the laybys were packed:  the hills were alive with .. skiers, snowboarders and sledgers.   It was quite a sight. The ride out the glen and round Mugdock was nice too but god I'm slow.  Hopefully this will trigger me into more frequent rides although the forecast isn't looking hopeful.

« Reply #24313 on: 13 February, 2021, 08:44:56 pm »
My first potter since I broke my rib .I rode to Dorney rowing lake via Windsor. Shook myself over a couple of cattle grids and I am a little sorer now.  :'( . Very cold and the van in the at Dorney boiler had burst so no hot drinks.
the slower you go the more you see

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #24314 on: 14 February, 2021, 05:44:26 pm »
It was above zero today.  Picked a route where I was fairly confident the roads would be gritted so that when the inevitable rain arrived it was less likely to freeze when it hit tarmac.  That precaution probably wasn't necessary but the rain layer on top of the winter layer probably was.  Still nice to get out as I think I've done a greater 'distance' on my Concept II rowing machine than the bicycle this year.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #24315 on: 14 February, 2021, 08:45:04 pm »
40kms this afternoon. Average speed: not very fast (by the standards of many on here) but it was my first time out for a real ride since august and the longest ride since before the first lockdown! With all the talk of snow and ice and salted roads (or unsalted even) I am ashamed to say that I had a nice sunny afternoon, a bit cold but well over freezing. I didn't see any but somewhere I heard a few cranes going over so now we have to watch for the first flights; spring will be not far behind!

« Reply #24316 on: 15 February, 2021, 07:04:40 pm »
Short outing after replacing front gear cable inner and outer. Shifting back to smooth and easy again. Hopefully longer outing tomorrow.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #24317 on: 15 February, 2021, 07:15:21 pm »
Wow! 12 deg C!  36 kms this afternoon.

Roads drying after early rain, but still puddles from run-off as frozen ground warms up.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24318 on: 15 February, 2021, 07:25:45 pm »
Yes, finally!

Roads in a surprisingly decent condition, apart from the one that's always a skogfest, and a stretch that still had hastily melting snow slush in evidence.

One scary moment due to an idiot driver overtaking me into the path of an oncoming ambulance and then pulling in.  I've no idea what they thought was going to happen.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #24319 on: 15 February, 2021, 07:28:31 pm »
a wet 51km this morning on Olive, (7.40am)  turned out sunny later. so went for a long walk

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #24320 on: 15 February, 2021, 07:30:13 pm »
One scary moment due to an idiot driver overtaking me into the path of an oncoming ambulance and then pulling in.  I've no idea what they thought was going to happen.
I doubt whether 'thought' really came into it.  As with the several morons who overtook me recklessly into the low sun.

« Reply #24321 on: 15 February, 2021, 07:41:59 pm »
Best weather for two months? Yes! 26 miles or so after work, still plenty of snowdrifts and standing water on the lanes, but no ice.

« Reply #24322 on: 16 February, 2021, 11:50:20 am »
35km today. Temp seemed to drop or maybe I dressed too optimistically but seemed warmer on dog walk. Saying that I was in shorts with knee warmers in February.

The wife and youngest monkey hsd done a card for a freind/their daughter respectively so offered to deliver Annoyingly having the week off the weather forecast seems to deteriorate daily and we were duely soaked in a very heavy rain shower - heavy enough to make the down hill section unpleasant as eyes stinging.

Card duely delivered started home and I commented I need to look at gears as shifting was a bit funny.  Shortly after dropped into little ring and the chain stuck. Derailleur was too far forward so fixed and spun the chain. Ah that'll be it one of the links was splayed open. Slight panic when I found I'd lost the handle to my chain tool but used an Allen key so quick repair and then home very much into the wind.

Whilst only being 35km in total but probably the best I've felt on the bike in a long time and have now managed two rides without a visitation

« Reply #24323 on: 16 February, 2021, 12:59:33 pm »
Just shy of 18 miles. Forecast was 30% chance of heavy showers. Map shied rain, but at 0.5mm/h. Went out. Within 10 minutes it was bucketing down. Got to the half way point, went through the “road closed” signs as I know they leave a bit for walkers and cyclists, to be confronted by today’s motorised moron, the drive of a 40t artic, that had tried to sneak past, and destroyed the nearside verge by sliding his wheels into the 1m deep ditch, leaving him beached. Turned around and went home. Rain stopped about 20 minutes out.

What is this I read? Surely in post-Brexit pre-colonial Britain sovereignty concerns would exclude nasty 40t continental juggernauts in favour of the good old british smoke-( and fume) belching 32t artic?
40t on 5 axles, 44t on 6 axles. Hasn't been 32t since... late 70s?

But I thought that's where BJ was meant to be taking you   ???

bairn again

« Reply #24324 on: 16 February, 2021, 07:23:32 pm »
yes!  Nice weather, if a little well ventilated.

50km all in out to the border with West LOthian, round the perimeter and back home.  Lovely to be out for a proper distance again.