Author Topic: Shock pump - worth it?  (Read 1419 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Shock pump - worth it?
« on: 09 May, 2020, 01:57:23 pm »
As per subject line, is it worth  increasing in a proper shock pump? I’ve been using my tyre pump but it loses air when disconnecting the hose. Presumably a proper shock pump is designed to avoid this.

Any recommendations for something cheap but good enough?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Shock pump - worth it?
« Reply #1 on: 09 May, 2020, 02:45:26 pm »
My LBS recommended* this https://www.tweekscycles.com/rockshox-high-pressure-fork-and-shock-pump-srmps4315023010/?istCompanyId=56f52ebf-49f3-492a-9cbb-cb6ab0fc1bf0&istFeedId=c2306de0-9ac7-40f5-b9fe-c99bd95845f7&istItemId=wilxtlwrr&istBid=t&awc=6411_1589031547_92992da6008cbb87587c56c517fdd75b&utm_source=Affiliate_Window&utm_medium=Direct+Linking&utm_campaign=323889

You do lose some air even with a proper pump; I just go a few psi higher than I need. If you can get the pressure you need with a tyre pump you may not need a dedicated tool.

* they recommended it but don’t stock it. In fact they wouldn’t sell me what they have in stock and tol£ me to go online.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 09 May, 2020, 02:49:27 pm »
Maybe the Topeak Pressure Rite adapter could help avoid losing air. https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/valve-adapters/775-pressure-rite-shock-adapter

citoyen

« Reply #3 on: 09 May, 2020, 03:22:23 pm »
You do lose some air even with a proper pump; I just go a few psi higher than I need. If you can get the pressure you need with a tyre pump you may not need a dedicated tool.

I wonder if the problem might just be the pump I'm using, which has a very long hose. But I can't use any of my other pumps as the heads won't fit over the recessed valve in the fork...

Thanks for the recommendation. It's a Rockshox fork, so a Rockshox pump should be a good match. Interesting that your LBS recommend it but don't stock it - probably tied down to the wrong supplier, I guess.

citoyen

« Reply #4 on: 09 May, 2020, 03:22:49 pm »
Maybe the Topeak Pressure Rite adapter could help avoid losing air. https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/valve-adapters/775-pressure-rite-shock-adapter

Looks interesting, thanks!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #5 on: 09 May, 2020, 03:25:57 pm »
Shock pumps tend to be a bit more precise than normal bike pumps for the purpose.
The 0-100psi pump I have puts the pressure up about 1psi per pump, so I can get the fork exactly where I want it if I wanted to.
Can't remember what the 0-300psi pump for the rear shock went up to.
There's also a button to release pressure on them to, again it's really about getting the pressure just right.

So if you're wanting exactly 85psi in the forks, aye.
Where as if 80 to 90ish is good enough, meh.

Losing air is just from the pipe unless the fork/shock has a dodgy valve.

citoyen

« Reply #6 on: 09 May, 2020, 03:43:22 pm »
Losing air is just from the pipe unless the fork/shock has a dodgy valve.

It could well be. I'm not sure, tbh. Need to keep an eye on it and see if it loses pressure between rides.

I don't really know how precise I want to be with pressures either. I'm still very much a novice at riding with suspension and very much feeling my way.

With the rear shock I've ranged from space-hopper-alike to might-as-well-be-riding-a-hardtail but I think on yesterday's ride it was just right (certainly for the terrain and conditions of that particular ride, at least). It would be nice to be able to measure the actual pressure with reasonable accuracy so I can recreate it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 09 May, 2020, 06:08:31 pm »
I don't think I could manage 200PSI without one!

PaulF

« Reply #8 on: 09 May, 2020, 07:12:16 pm »
Just remembered that I may have a spare that you can have. I’ll see if I can find it but we moved house recently and it may be hard to find

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #9 on: 09 May, 2020, 07:59:23 pm »
I've had a few over the years.

Revolution branded. Worked well until the atmosphere ate the hose. Bin

Beto branded. Never got more than 150psi. Replaced. Same. Both failed. Bin

Forme branded. 2 in 1, high pressure/high volume. Sold several. Nobody complained.

Fox branded. Goes to 300psi. Works well. In the toolbox...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

citoyen

« Reply #10 on: 10 May, 2020, 09:19:54 pm »
Just remembered that I may have a spare that you can have. I’ll see if I can find it but we moved house recently and it may be hard to find

Very kind of you. Don't go to any trouble looking for it though!

Will probably just buy one anyway - Decathlon do one for £15 that seems to get positive reviews. Got to be worth a punt at that price and Decathlon stuff is usually alright.

Beto branded. Never got more than 150psi. Replaced. Same. Both failed. Bin

I bought a Beto track pump once. I struggled to get my tyres up to 100psi with it.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #11 on: 10 May, 2020, 10:25:24 pm »
Will probably just buy one anyway - Decathlon do one for £15 that seems to get positive reviews. Got to be worth a punt at that price and Decathlon stuff is usually alright.

Pity you can't say the same for the budget bikes . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

PaulF

« Reply #12 on: 11 May, 2020, 08:47:39 am »

Very kind of you. Don't go to any trouble looking for it though!

Well I found it quite easily but it doesn't work :(