Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 474903 times)

Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #2450 on: 11 December, 2018, 08:57:34 am »

I would say the heroes of AUK are not those who rack up hundreds of points and awards or have the luxury of time and money to travel around the world on a bicycle, but rather those who make Audax events happen.

I would love to read that article... have you thought of writing it?  I don't think it would take you much research - asking around a few of your favourite events might also result in some nice pictures...

Go for it while the cold keeps you indoors

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2451 on: 11 December, 2018, 09:57:18 am »

I would say the heroes of AUK are not those who rack up hundreds of points and awards or have the luxury of time and money to travel around the world on a bicycle, but rather those who make Audax events happen.

I would love to read that article... have you thought of writing it?  I don't think it would take you much research - asking around a few of your favourite events might also result in some nice pictures...

I have written a piece about the all experience of volunteering with great people at MC1K last summer... but it's shit, so I don't think I will send it to Arrivee... I just can't write "non technical" stuff...  ::-)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2452 on: 11 December, 2018, 10:38:14 am »
I definitely think there's a place in Awoowoo for articles like the Everesting one.
I never questioned the article... I questioned the cover. I don't care about the content, if I am not interested, I don't read it (I didn't read the article yet). Conversely, the cover of a magazine is there to promote or celebrate something... should AUK promote or celebrate Everesting?... I think not, but that's my (apparently wrong) opinion

It's just another aspirational image featuring a young woman and her pretty bike - that's the third one in succession, I'm sick of them.  As someone who is part of AUK's main demographic (neither young nor female) I feel alienated.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2453 on: 11 December, 2018, 11:48:16 am »

It's just another aspirational image featuring a young woman and her pretty bike - that's the third one in succession, I'm sick of them.  As someone who is part of AUK's main demographic (neither young nor female) I feel alienated.

Seeing someone who's kinda like me, doing the thing that I love, rather than all the other pictures of men on bikes, seeing the odd photo of a woman on a bike doing something awesome makes me feel like maybe I am welcome as part of this club. I remember when I got my first copy of an awoowoo, I flicked through and counted the number of photos that included a woman cyclist, it was not a good number.

Three covers with women on them. Has anyone taken a look at all of the Arrivée/awoowoo covers to see how many since it started feature a woman?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2454 on: 11 December, 2018, 01:02:53 pm »

I have written a piece about the all experience of volunteering with great people at MC1K last summer... but it's shit, so I don't think I will send it to Arrivee... I just can't write "non technical" stuff...  ::-)

That's what an editor is for... perhaps there's an interview idea in there... you never know unless you send it in.  I'm shite at riding a bike but i still do it!

« Reply #2455 on: 11 December, 2018, 01:09:15 pm »
I definitely think there's a place in Awoowoo for articles like the Everesting one.
I never questioned the article... I questioned the cover. I don't care about the content, if I am not interested, I don't read it (I didn't read the article yet). Conversely, the cover of a magazine is there to promote or celebrate something... should AUK promote or celebrate Everesting?... I think not, but that's my (apparently wrong) opinion

I really hope that's a joke...

« Reply #2456 on: 11 December, 2018, 01:20:55 pm »
I thoroughly enjoyed latest edition of arrive .I like reading about younger riders exploits male or female ,without them audaxing has no future.

A mild annoyance was that the tops of some pages were still joined to other pages so needed cutting along the top to be able to separate pages without tearing them. Don't know if my copy was a one off or if they were all the same . Spoils what is  a really professional looking publication.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2457 on: 11 December, 2018, 01:50:39 pm »
  I'm shite at riding a bike but i still do it!

You are, but I still give you kudos on Strava, because I am nice...  :thumbsup:

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2458 on: 11 December, 2018, 02:03:17 pm »

This is a common misconception people have - that their writing isn't good enough for Arrivée - so they don't submit. Thing is, Arrivée is all about the quality of the stories, not the quality of the writing. No one expects you to be Flaubert.

But if you want help polishing up your piece, just ask...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2459 on: 11 December, 2018, 02:07:00 pm »

This is a common misconception people have - that their writing isn't good enough for Arrivée - so they don't submit. Thing is, Arrivée is all about the quality of the stories, not the quality of the writing. No one expects you to be Flaubert.

I just find it a bit flat and boring...

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2460 on: 11 December, 2018, 04:58:34 pm »
No one expects you to be Flaubert.

Although he was a master of brevity.

« Reply #2461 on: 11 December, 2018, 05:06:19 pm »

His “Memoirs Of A Madman” was about Mille Cymru, so I believe
Eddington Number = 132

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2462 on: 11 December, 2018, 05:10:28 pm »

His “Memoirs Of A Madman” was about Mille Cymru, so I believe

Either that or the Brevet Cymru + Porkers combo

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2463 on: 11 December, 2018, 05:27:58 pm »
Three covers with women on them. Has anyone taken a look at all of the Arrivée/awoowoo covers to see how many since it started feature a woman?

Depends what you mean by "feature" but - discarding shots of bunches that include women but nobody "features" - this century we have had these:

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2464 on: 11 December, 2018, 05:31:26 pm »

Depends what you mean by "feature" but - discarding shots of bunches that include women but nobody "features" - this century we have had these:

<snip>

I make that 15. If it's this century, that's 18 years, 4 per year. 15/72. or 20.8%.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

citoyen

« Reply #2465 on: 11 December, 2018, 06:37:16 pm »
I make that 15. If it's this century, that's 18 years, 4 per year. 15/72. or 20.8%.

Which, to be fair, is a darn sight more than the mainstream cycling press.

Also probably over-representative if the number of women I see on audaxes is anything to go by.

By the way, I believe the two women on the cover of issue 117 are mother-daughter, which surely has to be worth bonus points?

citoyen

Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #2466 on: 11 December, 2018, 06:42:41 pm »
Also, issue 70 - yellow jumper, staring at his stem... it’s Chris Froome, isn’t it?

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2467 on: 11 December, 2018, 07:07:20 pm »

Familiar stretch of road... B6270 in Birkdale, heading towards Nateby?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2468 on: 11 December, 2018, 07:58:28 pm »

I failed to figure out the submission progress, I'd consider adjusting my blog write up for "Kingdom Come" the other weekend to suit AwooWoo if only I knew what was expected of submissions.
I'm not entirely sure doing a 400 in December, discovering both McDonalds to be rammed, taking a dump in the bushes and/or the disaster that is the only ATM in town not saying where it is would be of interest to the general audience though.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2469 on: 12 December, 2018, 06:27:04 am »

I'm not entirely sure doing a 400 in December, discovering both McDonalds to be rammed, taking a dump in the bushes and/or the disaster that is the only ATM in town not saying where it is would be of interest to the general audience though.

Unlike most, I am rarely interested in sleek success... stories of misery and failure on the other hand...  :thumbsup:

hillbilly

« Reply #2470 on: 12 December, 2018, 09:54:01 am »

I failed to figure out the submission progress, I'd consider adjusting my blog write up for "Kingdom Come" the other weekend to suit AwooWoo if only I knew what was expected of submissions.

If written in the right way, it could actually be quite informative.  I suspect several more experienced hands looking for new challenges have toyed with the idea of a winter 400 or 600, even if they realise it is a form of madness. 

I'd go further and say that members of the organisation should prefer this type of tale which gets no outlet in the mainstream media.  As opposed to everesting, which is the type of fluff that Cycling Plus and their ilk would happily pick up as they can attach placed products to it (he types cynically).

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2471 on: 12 December, 2018, 10:28:33 am »
Fit the best!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

« Reply #2472 on: 12 December, 2018, 10:42:54 am »
Fit the best!

What does that mean?

(one for fans of Radcliffe & Maconie)

« Reply #2473 on: 12 December, 2018, 11:39:17 am »
This Awoowoo thread sums up AUK.  Do you remain an organisation with a certain amount of exclusivity because of the activities you promote or do you try to broaden appeal and run the risk of losing direction and core membership (volunteer) loyalty? I know, yes, it's been said before, but there is nothing wrong, and a lot good for having hard boundaries as part of your U.S.P.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2474 on: 12 December, 2018, 11:47:33 am »
This Awoowoo thread sums up AUK.  Do you remain an organisation with a certain amount of exclusivity because of the activities you promote or do you try to broaden appeal and run the risk of losing direction and core membership (volunteer) loyalty? I know, yes, it's been said before, but there is nothing wrong, and a lot good for having hard boundaries as part of your U.S.P.

Indeed.

It seems to me bizarre to have ridiculously dogmatic rules about which events can be validated and which ones can't, but then put up a cover about something which is the exact opposite.

However, the key is here: I was told Arrivee is not a magazine about Audax, but it is a magazine about AUK members, who happen to do a lot of other activities, Everesting being one of them.