Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 471323 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #2500 on: 12 March, 2019, 03:27:07 pm »
See - grumpy bears sell magazines!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2501 on: 12 March, 2019, 05:17:32 pm »
Wonderful to have a non-human, non-bike cover: one thing less about which partner can moan!

I see we have a 'guest' editor who stepped into the breach following his brother's encounter with g forces. Great show of brotherly love and technical ability.

GWS Ged! Thanks Tony!

« Reply #2502 on: 12 March, 2019, 07:25:50 pm »
I don't mind the bear but I think it is really quite irresponsible to show a bear on the front of a cycling magazine without a helmet on, he hasn't even got a hi viz on
https://creweandnantwichaudax.wordpress.com/ - See the Audax events I currently organise

www.milehousebarn.co.uk - Cycle Friendly B&B in Nantwich, Chehsire

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2503 on: 12 March, 2019, 07:38:13 pm »
Maybe it should have been a polar bear, they stand out more
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2504 on: 13 March, 2019, 09:59:48 am »
A bear on the cover, llamas on page 46. "That's biodiversity right there!" said my son, while someone else called it the National Geographic issue.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2505 on: 13 March, 2019, 11:01:00 am »
I complained loudly about a succession of 'aspirational' cover shots featuring fit young women - the editorial response is a photo of a grumpy-looking bear  ;D  ;D

I assumed you meant an hirsute homosexual audaxer of larger build, until I saw my copy when I got home last night...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2506 on: 13 March, 2019, 12:30:44 pm »
Wait until you hear about all the photos of audaxers with beards :-)
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #2507 on: 13 March, 2019, 04:07:00 pm »
I complained loudly about a succession of 'aspirational' cover shots featuring fit young women - the editorial response is a photo of a grumpy-looking bear  ;D  ;D
yeah, where are all the slightly dumpy middle aged women slogging along near the back?  In a dozen or so years of arrivée I don't recall seeing any (but icbw)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #2508 on: 13 March, 2019, 04:20:51 pm »
According to the stats on page 3 AUK lost 900 members - more than 10% - at the end of last year. How many of them as a result of the IT debacle and the Board’s subsequent contemptuous treatment of ordinary members I wonder?
Eddington Number = 132

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2509 on: 13 March, 2019, 04:21:42 pm »
yeah, where are all the slightly dumpy middle aged women slogging along near the back?  In a dozen or so years of arrivée I don't recall seeing any (but icbw)

Oi, I resemble that remark... And I'm so far back there's noone to take the photos :p

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #2510 on: 13 March, 2019, 04:40:28 pm »
According to the stats on page 3 AUK lost 900 members - more than 10% - at the end of last year. How many of them as a result of the IT debacle and the Board’s subsequent contemptuous treatment of ordinary members I wonder?
(with membership secretary hat on)
I am not usually privy to the reason members decide not to renew their membership. A few kindly do write to tell me and there are some common explanations such as moving from the UK, being injured or getting too old to ride, pursuing other forms of cycling or even (perish the thought) other hobbies and sports. Some just forget, and some of those then remember and renew late. I expect a few who are prompted by a failure of Arrivee to arrive will check their membership and realise it has lapsed.

However the number that lapsed this year is no different to any other year, there is a significant turnover of members each year. What I do know is that we have around 550 more members now than we did at the same date in 2018.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #2511 on: 13 March, 2019, 06:07:33 pm »
It'll go higher.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2512 on: 13 March, 2019, 06:12:36 pm »
Oi, I resemble that remark... And I'm so far back there's noone to take the photos :p
J

Same was true of me when I rode though someone did snap me hugging Noel at the end of the Great Eastern...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2513 on: 13 March, 2019, 06:18:58 pm »

I think I've been in two* full-page photos. Both were on 1000k+ rides that I finished with under 30mins in hand.

*This has taken many years to rack up, so hush your moaning
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #2514 on: 13 March, 2019, 07:04:08 pm »
(with membership secretary hat on)
Some just forget, and some of those then remember and renew late. I expect a few who are prompted by a failure of Arrivee to arrive will check their membership and realise it has lapsed.

However the number that lapsed this year is no different to any other year, there is a significant turnover of members each year.

Direct debit has to be the way to go (and I know you've got plans on this, bhoot)
Then they won't forget to renew, they'll forget to cancel instead and I'm sure there'll be a much smaller number dropping off each year. And a good number will probably forget they ever joined up in the first place!
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #2515 on: 13 March, 2019, 07:40:16 pm »
Some just forget, and some of those then remember and renew late. I expect a few who are prompted by a failure of Arrivee to arrive will check their membership and realise it has lapsed.

Oddly I've got the opposite problem; the arrival of Arrivee leaves me wondering if I somehow accidentally renewed my membership.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2516 on: 13 March, 2019, 08:08:03 pm »
Mountain sport club I'm a member of has the same, drop in members every year and picking them back up through the year.

We use GoCardless for Direct Debit based payment that's considerably cheaper than using PayPal, the down side being it's DD only so no Credit Card payment.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2517 on: 13 March, 2019, 08:08:31 pm »
Oddly I've got the opposite problem; the arrival of Arrivee leaves me wondering if I somehow accidentally renewed my membership.
... to Bears Monthly
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #2518 on: 13 March, 2019, 08:19:54 pm »
Nice to see an interview with Helen Wyman, great to see Awoowoo reaching out beyond audax again.

Hope they didn't "waste" too much of our hard earned subs  :P
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #2519 on: 13 March, 2019, 08:28:03 pm »

... to Bears Monthly

Probably not a website you want to look for on the work computer

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #2520 on: 13 March, 2019, 08:36:49 pm »
Nice to see an interview with Helen Wyman, great to see Awoowoo reaching out beyond audax again.

Hope they didn't "waste" too much of our hard earned subs  :P

We offered her space to promote her cycling training courses in France but she was so busy at the end of her final season that they never quite managed to put an ad together before the deadline arrived.
So the 'fee' is simply a free copy of the mag (she'll be thrilled!).
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #2521 on: 13 March, 2019, 08:52:20 pm »
I hope my  :P at the end indicated I was not being serious at that point.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2522 on: 13 March, 2019, 09:11:33 pm »
J

Same was true of me when I rode though someone did snap me hugging Noel at the end of the Great Eastern...

Ditto, and I'm endeavouring to slog along near the back of some actual audaxes this year.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #2523 on: 13 March, 2019, 09:48:29 pm »

Lots of AUK photographers have attempted to get that shot but have been thwarted by the large groups of portly middle aged men just in front of their desired subject, grinning inanely.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Phil W

« Reply #2524 on: 13 March, 2019, 10:22:13 pm »
Next edition, the bear necessities of Audax .