Author Topic: Chain idler o ring  (Read 2309 times)

Chain idler o ring
« on: 04 September, 2019, 07:53:52 pm »
After years of searching I seem to have bought a replacement double idler for the worn out original on my Kingcycle.  However it doesn't have the rubber o ring.  Any suggestions for a supplier / brand to buy one or two of these?
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Chain idler o ring
« Reply #1 on: 04 September, 2019, 07:55:10 pm »
If you can work out what size it should be, you could obtain a several of them from an industrial supplier and not have to have anything to do with recumbent dealers...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2 on: 04 September, 2019, 08:25:10 pm »
While there's plenty of suppliers out there of o-rings;
I wonder if the application is suitable for a DIY O-Ring kit; seem to cost around 35 quid which admittedly is a tad more than one off the shelf.

« Reply #3 on: 05 September, 2019, 05:13:35 pm »
Mebbe one that fits amongst this lot Socks

https://www.aldi.co.uk/125-piece-o-ring-assortment/p/015676305472001

Dirt cheap at £2.49 for 125
Hear all, see all, say nowt

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 05 September, 2019, 05:16:12 pm »
Mebbe one that fits amongst this lot Socks

https://www.aldi.co.uk/125-piece-o-ring-assortment/p/015676305472001

Dirt cheap at £2.49 for 125

Doubt it, 22mm seems a bit small for a chain idler...

« Reply #5 on: 05 September, 2019, 07:02:59 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll measure the new idler when it arrives (the old one is very worn).  Then see if I can find some heavy duty o rings, although from what I've been able to find on-line they will still need to be replaced fairly often.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 05 September, 2019, 07:29:26 pm »
If the O-ring idlers[1] on The Red Baron are anything to go by, the wear of the O-ring is determined primarily by how much bouncing around the chain does.  After about 6000km the one by the fork crown has several chunks missing, whereas the one under the seat lacks any significant damage.  (The drive-side idler has teeth rather than an O-ring, and is like new, but dirtier.  I can't help thinking that passing roller chain over a smooth pulley is fundamentally silly.)

[1] Alligt 50mm.

network.ned

« Reply #7 on: 29 September, 2019, 07:38:56 pm »
I might be able to help.

What's the width of the groove and the outer diameter of the bit the O ring fits over? We use a lot of different size o rings at work so may be able to sort something out for you.

Sent from my Lenovo YT-X703F using Tapatalk

« Reply #8 on: 29 September, 2019, 07:58:38 pm »
I might be able to help.

What's the width of the groove and the outer diameter of the bit the O ring fits over? We use a lot of different size o rings at work so may be able to sort something out for you.

Sent from my Lenovo YT-X703F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the offer.  I have found some nitrile o rings through the interweb and used them on a recent 200k DIY.  Idlers are a lot quieter and no signs of wear.  I got a few spares as well so that I can replace when they do get worn.

network.ned

« Reply #9 on: 29 September, 2019, 08:01:14 pm »

Thanks for the offer.  I have found some nitrile o rings through the interweb and used them on a recent 200k DIY.  Idlers are a lot quieter and no signs of wear.  I got a few spares as well so that I can replace when they do get worn.

You're welcome. If the nitrile one wears out quick try a Viton or FKM one: this material is a bit more resilient.

Looking for a PDQ frame to restart my recumbent collection!

« Reply #10 on: 30 September, 2019, 11:47:47 am »

You're welcome. If the nitrile one wears out quick try a Viton or FKM one: this material is a bit more resilient.

Looking for a PDQ frame to restart my recumbent collection!

Will do - there's a PDQ on fleabag at the moment, although collection only so might be too far away for you.

network.ned

« Reply #11 on: 30 September, 2019, 03:49:50 pm »

Will do - there's a PDQ on fleabag at the moment, although collection only so might be too far away for you.

Thaks for the pointer: I've seen that one fleabag but I'm looking for frame only for a custom build. Speaking with Kevin @ Dtek at the moment   ;D

« Reply #12 on: 30 September, 2019, 03:53:06 pm »
I buy nitrile O-rings (for cable couplings on splittable bikes) from bearingboys.co.uk.