Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 958724 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #6150 on: 14 March, 2016, 11:19:17 am »
Sorceror

William Friedkin's visually sumptuous 1977 not-a-remake of Le Salaire de la Peur aka The Fear Of Wages The Wages Of Fear.  I saw this at the cinema when it was first released and thought it was brillsticks, but hardly anyone agreed and it flopped at the box office because:
  • Idiot audiences walked out due to no English language dialogue for the first 15-odd minutes, and
  • Idiot audiences walked out because they thought it was some kind of spookernatural follow-up to The Exorcist1, and
  • Star Wars
An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman American, a Frenchman, a Palestinian and a Nazi hiding out in $LATIN_AMERICAN shithole accept large sums of money to transport unstable explosives over two hundred miles of terrible roads to put out an oil well fire.  With hilarious consequences, especially for the Nazi.  Takes a while to get going but turns into the Top Gear Bolivia Special only with WW2-era lorries and without Richard Hammond.  Tangerine Dream's first Hollywood soundtrack.  Roy Scheider proves himself very handy with a shovel; features a cameo appearance by a very beaten-up Wolseley 6/110.

1: "Sorceror" is the name of a truck
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #6151 on: 14 March, 2016, 04:55:47 pm »
Sorceror

I went to see it purely based on the Tangerine Dream soundtrack ( I was rather obsessed back then).

I had the vinyl soundtrack but can't say I listened to it much.

When I try to remember the film I realise I'm remembering in Black & White and getting confused with "Wages of fear".

It really is a terrible title for the film.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #6152 on: 14 March, 2016, 06:48:09 pm »
Miss You Already

If you take a drama and add a couple of jokes, it does not make it a rom-com.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6153 on: 14 March, 2016, 10:57:44 pm »
Steve Jobs (2015)

Still a wanker.  Those other guys barely feature, and this time there's hardly anything about computers (if you want those, go and watch the excellent Halt And Catch Fire instead).  Compelling enough story about the relationships and obsessions of a wanker.  I liked the use of different video/film media.

« Reply #6154 on: 15 March, 2016, 02:28:17 pm »
Steve Jobs (2015)
I actually saw and touched a NeXTCube once.

Jupiter Ascending

Beautiful spaceships. Spaceships with giant deco statues, woohoo.

Wooden storyline.

Lovely overacting by Redmayne.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6155 on: 15 March, 2016, 03:46:40 pm »
Steve Jobs (2015)
I actually saw and touched a NeXTCube once.

I introduced barakta to Tim Berners-Lee's one in the Science Museum last week.  I like the way it's got that straight-out-of-the-university-computer-lab tatty sticker aesthetic.  Steve wouldn't be impressed.

Otherwise the closest I've come is running AfterStep in the early days of Linux-on-the-desktop.

« Reply #6156 on: 15 March, 2016, 03:51:19 pm »
When I saw (and touched) one, it was cutting-edge hardware.

When you saw one, it was in a museum.

Go on, make me feel even older, go on.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6157 on: 15 March, 2016, 04:04:55 pm »
^^^When I see "retired government operative" or "ex-CIA agent" or similar in a film blurb I usually look elsewhere.

RED is a notable exception to the rule, having both a stellar cast and being very funny...

Yes.  We have both 1 & 2.  I think we saw the trailer before I read anything about it, though - although John Malkovich is always worth the money.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

fuzzy

« Reply #6158 on: 17 March, 2016, 02:27:36 pm »
Day of the Triffids

They don't make them like that anymore :D

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #6159 on: 17 March, 2016, 03:05:22 pm »
Which one - there's at least four different versions I can think of - offhand.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6160 on: 17 March, 2016, 03:20:45 pm »
Mike Leigh's Naked

After banging on to my son about how he needs to see this film, I impulsively ordered the DVD off Amazon and watched it almost as soon as it arrived. Haven't seen it for some time so there are a few bits I've forgotten, and although certain aspects of it are a little dated now, David Thewlis's performance certainly hasn't lost any of its impact. Incredible film. Gut-churningly grim but very funny.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

fuzzy

« Reply #6161 on: 17 March, 2016, 04:09:47 pm »
Which one - there's at least four different versions I can think of - offhand.

Why, the best of course ;)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6162 on: 17 March, 2016, 04:21:34 pm »
IMDB only knows about 2 film versions (but several TV series - and I think they've missed quite a good one that the Beeb did in "modern" times. Could be wrong mind ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6163 on: 17 March, 2016, 08:23:40 pm »
IMDB only knows about 2 film versions (but several TV series - and I think they've missed quite a good one that the Beeb did in "modern" times. Could be wrong mind ... )

This one wasn't it?  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1332653/  Eddie Izzard as the bad guy...

« Reply #6164 on: 17 March, 2016, 08:27:00 pm »
Mike Leigh's Naked

After banging on to my son about how he needs to see this film, I impulsively ordered the DVD off Amazon and watched it almost as soon as it arrived. Haven't seen it for some time so there are a few bits I've forgotten, and although certain aspects of it are a little dated now, David Thewlis's performance certainly hasn't lost any of its impact. Incredible film. Gut-churningly grim but very funny.

I've got the VHS of that somewhere, and I must dig it out (then find a VHS player).

I heard recently that David Thewlis based his performance on Mark E Smith out of the Fall - it's an enticingly plausible thought.

ian

« Reply #6165 on: 17 March, 2016, 09:16:31 pm »
Sharknado 3. Well it promised 'a vortex of airborne sharks' and it delivered. If you've seen one, you have idea. It's a joke that only works if the fridge is full of hoppy beverages.

The Bay. Another of those 'found footage' movies that were once-upon-a-time popular (do young people remember those?) I actually enjoyed it, it wasn't badly done, and spookily believable. Other than the 'fungal bacteria or mutant tapeworm' attempt at science. Giant isopods are well fucked up, like you've shrunk and been attacked by a woodlouse. It could happen.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6166 on: 17 March, 2016, 10:57:12 pm »

This one wasn't it?  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1332653/  Eddie Izzard as the bad guy...
I have a suspicion that was a Sky thing (i.e. not visible in this household). I certainly havent seen a version with Izzard in!

Before 2009 my memory of anything - let alone random TV sci-fi - is far too unreliable, so I should let this lie...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #6167 on: 18 March, 2016, 09:11:41 am »
John Wick

Keanu Reeves gets very cross, shoots lots of people who are trying to stop him from shooting Theon Greyjoy (is that guy an annoying git in every single role he gets?).

I have no idea how they managed to spin this out to a full movie length. They did, it doesn't get boring.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6168 on: 18 March, 2016, 09:57:23 am »
Took out a Netflix trial sub and watched an episode of Deadwood last night.

8.8 on Imdb? That? Really?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #6169 on: 18 March, 2016, 10:24:14 am »
The Eddie Izzard Day of the Triffids thing was BBC about 10ish years ago wasn't it?

[edit] - Yep https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_of_the_Triffids_(2009_TV_miniseries)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6170 on: 20 March, 2016, 04:26:59 pm »
Annie Hall

I was sure I must have seen it before but none of it was familiar to me. Great film. Very funny. Diane Keaton is just wonderful.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #6171 on: 20 March, 2016, 05:37:32 pm »
Olympus Has Fallen. I did see it on a plane some time back, but I'm looking forward to seeing London Has Fallen. I'll be honest, I loved it. There was the po-faced White House Down with the same plot at the same time, but OHF has Morgan Freeman in it, so wins and then wins some more. I've previously posited the theory that no matter the movie, no matter how bad the script, the screenwriting, the cinematography, the directing, just cast Morgan. It's all going to smell of roses. Not that this needs it, Norks make ace baddies, DC gets blown up, the White House gets pebbledashed with high calibre bullets. Pretty much by the end of it, I had to be restrained from declaring war on North Korea myself.

« Reply #6172 on: 21 March, 2016, 08:11:15 am »
The Gift (2015)

Fairly standard psychological thriller helped along by the rather excellent Rebecca Hall

Cesar Chavez

Interesting story, mediocre film

The Bed Sitting Room

Set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland where the survivors of the "unfortunate incident" succumb to the effects of radiation... in possibly the most English sci-fi film ever made. Brilliant.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #6173 on: 21 March, 2016, 09:14:07 am »

The Bed Sitting Room

Set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland where the survivors of the "unfortunate incident" succumb to the effects of radiation... in possibly the most English sci-fi film ever made. Brilliant.

Arthur Lowe, Marty Feldman(?), a parrot... All filmed in the same quarry as Dr. Who?

I'm the biggest Milligan fan out there but even I thought that was some pretty bizarre shit!

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6174 on: 21 March, 2016, 10:23:13 am »
The Bed Sitting Room

That sounds rather bonkers! And the Beeb put it on the radio (I just like radio plays, sorry):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06sf10d

Three years since the nuclear misunderstanding which led to the third world war ("and it's no idle boast when I remind you that this was the shortest world war on record... two minutes twenty eight seconds... including the signing of the Peace Treaty which is now on sale at Her Majesties Stationary Office with a free T- shirt") survivors gather together on the former-streets of London. In amongst the rubble, Captain Kak and his fiancee Penelope find Lord Fortnum, who is convinced he's turning into a Bed-sitting room. With property prices what they are, Kak should be on to a good thing.

This atmospheric, surrealist play was originally written by John Antrobus & Spike Milligan, and has been adapted for radio by John Antrobus & Paul Merton.

Music & FX by Jerry Peal.
Directed by Sam Michell.
Produced by Victoria Lloyd.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------