Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2163995 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #250 on: 09 November, 2008, 01:45:44 pm »
I've bought some new thorn resistant inner tubes from Giant.  They are for Son1's MTB so I will install them today.

My MonstaThorn is absolutely covered in mud from all the heavy traffic on my back roads, kicking the mud into the road. 

But I've just looked at the weather forecast for tomorrow, HEAVY RAIN - so what is the point?

« Reply #251 on: 09 November, 2008, 03:48:04 pm »
I almost got the cat flap in, but rain stopped play, since I can't plonk on the "rainproof in an hour" stuff if it's actually raining. :-\

I've also discovered that what worked perfectly in front of me, now manages to foul the flap when installed in the wall and it's damned near impossible to get the final two screws in when the "porch" is fitted (and you have to fit the porch before you screw the outside fascia to the wall). >:(
Actually, it is rocket science.

Zoidburg

« Reply #252 on: 09 November, 2008, 03:52:35 pm »
Not today but yesterday morning I redished a wheel and respaced it to 120 for a fixie conversion of a donated bike at the work shop

This will be the forth (including my own) so far and we sold the last two straight away :D

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #253 on: 14 November, 2008, 07:48:20 pm »
Stripped another Sturmey-Archer AM hub, which was sold to me as "reconditioned".  Hmmm.  It has a new clutch, clutch key and new clutch spring, but it's full of hardened old oil deposits and is currently marinading in solvent.  The rest of the bits look OK, but I won't really know until they're cleaned.

This one's going in the spare Brompton rear wheel when it's finished - if it fits.  If not, it'll go in a nice AM shell I have and be sold for megabucks.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Analog Kid

• aka noquitelance
« Reply #254 on: 14 November, 2008, 09:06:01 pm »
New brakes and bar tape for Gina, my lovely Pinarello.
Books are for tourists...

Chris S

« Reply #255 on: 14 November, 2008, 09:12:47 pm »
More inner tubes. F*cking faeries  >:(

« Reply #256 on: 17 November, 2008, 01:05:49 pm »
Not today, but I've added a socket spanner to my Crank Brothers multitool, and removed the torx driver and one of the screwdriver heads that I never use. 

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #257 on: 17 November, 2008, 01:36:55 pm »
Replaced the cable stop hanger, stem and handlebars on Fred. Replaced the rear brakes for Avid Shorty 4's. Discovered I do not have a new rear brake cable so the bike is still off the road. Couldn't shift the headset bearings (spacer pushed down onto the rubber seal has set quite firm) so will dribble oil in later.

Will get new cables (front and rear) on my way home.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #258 on: 17 November, 2008, 03:46:00 pm »
Yesterday I tightened up my front QR.

Only after I noticed the lever swinging nonchalantly as I rode downhill at 30mph. Much gentle braking and buttock clenching as I approached a narrow bridge and oncoming motor vehicle.
Faith, hope and gluttony.........

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #259 on: 17 November, 2008, 04:15:51 pm »
Optimum time for fettling that is at point T, where T precedes being out on the road with a floppy lever.
Getting there...

« Reply #260 on: 18 November, 2008, 09:18:22 pm »
new rubinos for winter bike, which went surprisingly well. also swapping all the lights back from the summer bike, which has had to endure commuting duty while the new tyres were on order.
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #261 on: 21 November, 2008, 09:38:59 am »
The screw holding the leg bit on my cycling specs has fallen out and been lost down a crack in the floorboards, so I stuck them back together with sellotape. I have an air of Jack Duckworth about me now.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #262 on: 21 November, 2008, 10:06:53 am »
Trivia point:  I worked with Jack & Vera Duckworth at Sheffield Show in the 80s, where they did a bit of 'in character' comedy in between singing WMC standards.  Quite nice people, they were. :)
Getting there...

alan

« Reply #263 on: 24 November, 2008, 03:33:39 pm »
I have just removed the flat bars from Marj's mtb & replaced them with butterfly bars.
The mechs/chain tension now needs adjusting because the rapid fire shifters won't select big ring at the front nor the 23 to 30 at the back.
I may take the soft option & take the bike to the lbs in the morning :-\

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #264 on: 24 November, 2008, 05:09:43 pm »
Trivia point:  I worked with Jack & Vera Duckworth at Sheffield Show in the 80s, where they did a bit of 'in character' comedy in between singing WMC standards.  Quite nice people, they were. :)
Further trivia point: my mum used to be the head waitress at Ingwood Restaurant in the late 70s and Liz Dawn (Vera) was booked to do the Saturday night cabaret one week. She turned up way too pissed to go on and when the owner told her so, she punched him.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #265 on: 24 November, 2008, 08:05:19 pm »
Just about to fettle the cranks to look at those chain rings.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #266 on: 24 November, 2008, 10:20:22 pm »
Managed to fettle two bikes! New handlebars and cables on the Brompton "S" as the standard ones are too narrow for me. New handlebars on the Airnimal to give a little bit of ride to them.  Had to reroute the cables on the Brommie as wella sthey were all round the wrong side of the stem! Got an old Brooks saddle on it to replace the Worst Saddle in the Whole World, EVER! that is a standard Brompton model
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #267 on: 26 November, 2008, 05:36:02 pm »
De-rusted and painted the front rack of the Pashley, ex-Royal Mail bike I bought earlier in the week.

As the muguards didn't match, I painted them with the same black Hammerite paint and very good they look too. I'll drill the holes for the leather tan mudguards I bought a while ago and fit them tomorrow.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #268 on: 26 November, 2008, 05:38:16 pm »
I put batteries in a rear light.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #269 on: 26 November, 2008, 05:42:27 pm »
Replaced a headset and mounted a new rear light

I have completed the building of my Thorn touring bike  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

edit; bugger I forgot the computer  ::-)

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #270 on: 30 November, 2008, 10:05:38 am »
Made a right tit of meself yesterday.

After putting the chain back on I realised I hadn't routed it correctly through the jockeys and being too lazy to unjoin the chain again I decided to undo the screws which retain the cage plates and jockey wheels......zing.  I am now minus a screw as it has shot off in the depths of the garage somewhere.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #271 on: 30 November, 2008, 10:18:48 am »
Done that.  Most of us probably have.

Now get some quick links  ::-)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #272 on: 30 November, 2008, 10:56:18 am »
Done that.  Most of us probably have.

Oh yes. And forgotten to shorten the chain to the right length as well.

Now get some quick links  ::-)

Do they have disadvantages? eg give a weak point in the chain??

« Reply #273 on: 30 November, 2008, 12:04:41 pm »
I did worse than that when I first took the chain off of my old Trice recumbent.  When I put the chain back on, I put it the wrong way around, so you had to pedal backwards to move forwards!  It's fairly easily done with a long chain run, but embarrassing nevertheless. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

Chris S

« Reply #274 on: 30 November, 2008, 12:08:49 pm »
Do they have disadvantages? eg give a weak point in the chain??

If they do, I've never noticed them - on either 1/32" on the geared bike or 1/8" on the fixed, in over 30,000km.

Not had one fail yet - though I guess it might happen eventually. One in every >30,000km is good enough for me given the convenience factor. For ease of access for chain cleaning alone, they are brilliant.