Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134103 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #350 on: 12 January, 2009, 12:05:44 pm »
Tonsillitis is a great spur to stay indoors and feel sorry for oneself *coughs pathetically*

Awww poor love. Have some chicken soup and keep well wrapped up ;D.

I suffer from tonsilitis regularly, horrible isn't it

It's the first time I've had it.  Hopefully the last too...

Currently I'm medicating it with bacon and coffee.  That'll do the trick ;D

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #351 on: 12 January, 2009, 09:20:40 pm »
I've put a new chain and rear changer on the Mercian, and also added a rear rack (Tortec Ultralite).

I'll finish my coffee and go out for a short pootle in a minute.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

gordon taylor

« Reply #352 on: 12 January, 2009, 09:38:08 pm »
I put some new brake blocks on the commuter - about a month too late by the look of the old ones.  :-[

« Reply #353 on: 12 January, 2009, 10:50:07 pm »
New tyres onto the MonstaThorn following two more punctures today.
I've put the old Campag wheels on as my new black replacement rims have arrived at Hope so they are collecting these wheels to sort them out. 

Guess what that means people ??  More photos soon  ;D

alan

« Reply #354 on: 14 January, 2009, 09:33:46 am »
I have taken the knobblies off Marj's mtb  & fitted some Schwalbe Marathon Plus'.
Together with mudgaurds,rear rack &  butterfly bars it now looks like a hybrid which is what she has preferred to having a new bike with drops.
An improvement in temperature is needed to allow a test ride to take place.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #355 on: 14 January, 2009, 09:54:29 am »
Serviced the summer bike.. Basically, this was cleaning the drivetrain and checking the gearing.

Summer is way off yet!!

Built up Maffie's new bike and gave myself a nutty style fettling injury. D'oh.

« Reply #356 on: 14 January, 2009, 10:00:37 am »
I have fettled some lights onto the Brompton as the weather report says sunny with clouds and it is fog!

« Reply #357 on: 14 January, 2009, 03:11:59 pm »
Built up Maffie's new bike and gave myself a nutty style fettling injury. D'oh.

We need details and photos  ;D

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #358 on: 14 January, 2009, 03:59:55 pm »
Not quite but I have rebuilt a spin machine in the garage courtesy of national chain of gymnasia!

Does this count towards n+1 ?
Faith, hope and gluttony.........

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #359 on: 14 January, 2009, 11:09:44 pm »
put the new wheel on Fred. Velox rim tape, Pro3 Grip tyre. SRAM 11-28 block.

The chain would catch on teh mudguard bolt that went through the mounting eye. The bolt has rusted in place. Plenty of clearance was obtained with the help of my friend Mr Angle Grinder and everything appears to run smoothly. It will be tested tomorrow on the ride to work, and hopefully a more severe test in the evening.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

ed_o_brain

« Reply #360 on: 16 January, 2009, 03:18:06 pm »
put the new wheel on Fred. Velox rim tape, Pro3 Grip tyre. SRAM 11-28 block.

The chain would catch on teh mudguard bolt that went through the mounting eye. The bolt has rusted in place. Plenty of clearance was obtained with the help of my friend Mr Angle Grinder and everything appears to run smoothly. It will be tested tomorrow on the ride to work, and hopefully a more severe test in the evening.

good for another 30k now then!

alan

« Reply #361 on: 16 January, 2009, 04:34:30 pm »
I've been fettling my elbow & shoulder trying to bring it up to standard for tomorrow's ride. :-\

Chris S

« Reply #362 on: 17 January, 2009, 12:16:40 am »
A broken chain, on Paddington Station concourse amidst the Friday evening throng, with Zipperhead's chain tool.

« Reply #363 on: 17 January, 2009, 05:57:28 pm »
After four dry, cold weeks followed by rain my commuter hack went somewhat rusty. The chain was really stretched anyway. A six-hour fettling session cleaning up the brakes and transmission, replacing brake levers (one of them damaged in a minor crash), brake and gear cables, chain, cassette, front mech (the one on there was steel for gods sake), bar tape.

« Reply #364 on: 17 January, 2009, 09:29:48 pm »
Gore Ride On sealed cables installed onto the MonstaThorn.
I have started a thread in Reviews - Gore Ride On sealed cables with pics.
Ace ace ace ace.

« Reply #365 on: 18 January, 2009, 07:24:53 pm »
Gave the Eclipse a wash including a good scrub of the rims, as braking was making a strange noise after a few miles in the salty Essex lanes on the WARTY.

« Reply #366 on: 18 January, 2009, 08:26:42 pm »
I've actually plugged the TV in for the first time in 9 months, and set up the wireless sender, so I can watch TV in the living room, or bedroom. ;D

Of course, the aerial in the roof is buggered, so all I can watch on the TV at the mo is DVDs, but that's fine, I've got enough to watch for several months, continuously. ;D

Next, get the aerial working, and plumb in the surround sound. :)
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #367 on: 18 January, 2009, 10:05:54 pm »
Laced a new pair of wheels to convert the Dawes Synthesis XT back to gears. Must order tyres and cassette tomorrow and then I can put it all together!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #368 on: 18 January, 2009, 11:10:05 pm »
I was moving the car to attach the trailer to make a massive journey to the recycling centre, when I saw two roadies walking up the road.  So I drove and caught them up and enquired what was up?  Faeries.  So I invited them back to mine, got the track pump out and my tyre levers and my spare tube ( one of many repaired ones ) as Rob was out on his new bike with no puncture repair kit and no tube.  He was also running the stock standard Specialized Mondo tyres that are not great at keeping Wiltshire flints out.
So I changed the tyre of a stranger and helped a fellow cyclist out and refused any payment.
I reckon I have done my bestest deed for a while so hopefully the cycling Gods are watching and will protect me on my merry way.

« Reply #369 on: 18 January, 2009, 11:23:02 pm »
Yebbut, the Faeries will be annoyed that you've undone their work, so will have it in for you now.  I hope you've got your best kevlar lined tubes ready for the week ahead!

« Reply #370 on: 19 January, 2009, 05:44:32 am »
Oh bugger, I was looking at the positive side of it.  I had not considered that other aspect.  I must appease the faeries or my life is miserable.  :o

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #371 on: 20 January, 2009, 12:24:22 pm »
New tyre and tube for back end of Brompton.  LBS convinced me that Schwalbe tyres are better than Brompton own-brand, but they only go up to 85psi, rather than 100.

New rear-brake-cable, and chain, for Nemesis.  Like an idiot, I thought I could just split the old chain, and fit a new one.  But the new chain was too tight, (obviously, with hindsight - that's why I needed a new one) so I had to slacken it a bit by inching the rear wheel forward a smidge.  Prolly still a bit too tight.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #372 on: 20 January, 2009, 02:06:34 pm »
New tyre and tube for back end of Brompton.  LBS convinced me that Schwalbe tyres are better than Brompton own-brand, but they only go up to 85psi, rather than 100.

I found the Brompton Kevlars to be pants in comparison to the Schwalbe Marathon for immunity to the faeries.  The Brompton tyres are lighter, but far thinner, and far more prone to punctures than the Marathons.  Where I use them, largely in London, puncture resistance is far more important than weight and rolling resistance.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #373 on: 20 January, 2009, 02:22:54 pm »
I found the Brompton Kevlars to be pants in comparison to the Schwalbe Marathon for immunity to the faeries.  The Brompton tyres are lighter, but far thinner, and far more prone to punctures than the Marathons.  Where I use them, largely in London, puncture resistance is far more important than weight and rolling resistance.

Thanks for that.  Or should I say...

"Faery Nuff."

IGMC.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

alan

« Reply #374 on: 20 January, 2009, 07:30:19 pm »
I am getting the Longstaff ready for JoGLe.Taken the Barley saddlebag off & fitted the Camper Longflap.
I have removed two Topeak bar extenders & a maptrap from the handlebars .A computer & Ortlieb bar bag are to be fitted to the bars.