Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2164536 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #500 on: 28 March, 2009, 03:48:51 pm »
The adjuster on the 'fixed pad' on my mountain bike disk brake has been seized solid for the last year.

For the last week I've had the calliper (minus pads) soaking in a bowl of Coca Cola to try and dissolve any corrosion between the steel adjuster and the aluminium calliper.

Last night, whilst Mrs Blade was out, I put the oven on at 220 degrees and left the calliper in there for an hour to get the aluminium calliper to expand away from the adjusting screw.

Took the calliper out of the oven. Put it in a vice and applied an allen key to the adjuster. Came apart quite easily  :thumbsup:

Cleaned the threads out and applied Copperslip. Then reassembled the calliper.

Brake works fine now  ;D
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

gordon taylor

« Reply #501 on: 28 March, 2009, 05:07:07 pm »
I rebuilt the hybrid with odds and ends, so that I can leave it for our house-sitter to use. I was going fine until the back tube exploded KAAABOOOOOMMMMM out from under the rim of the tyre. So I gave up in the huff.

I'll sort it after tea. Maybe.  >:(

« Reply #502 on: 28 March, 2009, 06:15:54 pm »
New saddle on the TT bike. Took it for a 20 mile try out. Now my back hurts.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #503 on: 28 March, 2009, 06:22:02 pm »
Put my Dawes together (well finger tight until my tools arrive). Actually don't think that it's a real Dawes ??? But at $319 for a whole steel bike I'm not complaining!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #504 on: 28 March, 2009, 07:49:13 pm »
I've built my wheel again. Properly this time, I hope.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #505 on: 28 March, 2009, 10:52:29 pm »
And Mrs. Wow and I have just been down to the garage to put two new pairs of double-sided SPD pedals on the tandem.

« Reply #506 on: 29 March, 2009, 11:08:45 am »
Just fettled the configuration of my NAS server, since it was showing the wrong time on the Squeeze Boxen after last nights change over to BST.  It needed an extra switch on the hwclock command in the crontab, but BusyBox crontab was difficult about letting me edit it.

Now I need to actually move about the house and physically update the couple of clocks which don't get their time via SNTP, DAB, DVB or Teletext.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Chris S

« Reply #507 on: 29 March, 2009, 01:58:20 pm »
Stripped and cleaned both Audax bikes (stripped the bikes that is. I didn't fettle nekid). The geared bike especially needed lots of TLC.

New tyres all round, ready for the Summer so when it snows this week - sorry, it's my fault.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #508 on: 29 March, 2009, 06:23:09 pm »
I am about to go and fettle the race bike. I need to adjust the brake levers to a better position on the bars, retape them and put the tri bars on. Ten days till the season opening evening TT. I am hoping to get a PB for the distance (5 miles).

I also need to fettle Fred. I have just ordered some frogslegs in a tasteful blue which will replace the Avid Shorties and Altus semi lo-pro cantis.

The rear brakes are making a nasty 'sounds like metal on metal' squeal. And it needs a good clean.

I may have to drill out and retap the cable hanger as well  :( and add some replacement rivets into the rear mudguards.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #509 on: 29 March, 2009, 06:36:28 pm »
I've just stripped another AM hub gear.  The shell isn't worth saving (pitted, and 40 hole) but the axle and planetary gears are good.  It has the best 12-splined driver I've seen which will sell for the purchase price of the hub (twelve quid) once it's cleaned up and put on eBay.

Now I need a lightly-used 28-hole AW hub at minimum price to act as a donor for the shell, 3-splined driver, threaded clutch key and clutch etc.  Then I can have another close-ratio Brompton wheel.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #510 on: 29 March, 2009, 08:22:58 pm »
Bars adjusted and re-taped. Just have to find the small cable ties for the 'puter mount. I'll stick it on the rollers later.

Fred has had the wheels removed and yes, the rear blocks were shot to the metal. So they have been binned and I will get some new ones tomorrow. Riveted the mudguards back onto the stays. Cured a rattle or two.

I will have to replace the hanger cable adjuster as it is borked. The rack is no longer removable easily and I don't want to start messing with that right now.

Just have to replace the front skewer and probably service the front wheel while I am at it. Feels a touch loose.

And then put the new chains on the tandem..

..d

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

alan

« Reply #511 on: 29 March, 2009, 08:56:24 pm »
My son in law now owns his own mtb: a full sus. Marin with disc brakes .Very uptodate :thumbsup:
So this morning I repossesed my Cannonandale M800 Beast of the East & fitted some spd's,a narrow saddle,altered saddle & handlebar height & administered some lube where necessary.Then gave it a wipe down with a rag.
It looks presentable & rides well.It took less than 30 mins.
Not bad for a bike that I bought in 1993. I don't imagine that I'll get back to mountain biking per se but it will make a fine steed for roughstuffing & trail riding.
With mud gaurds , a rear rack & slicks it will be usefull as a utility bike.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #512 on: 29 March, 2009, 09:19:17 pm »
Washed Dave before a trip to The Shop to get a new chainset and BB (external bearing newfangles, needs facing, and they're fitting for free). 

I now have "bike at the shop" angst!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #513 on: 29 March, 2009, 10:30:40 pm »
I removed a chainring with a view to putting a shorter crank on iy ,closer inspection revealed the shorter cfank was for a double anf now I am strugglimg to reassemble the original triple :-[ ::-)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #514 on: 29 March, 2009, 11:06:49 pm »
Refurbing the MTB

Cleaned,

New BB, and chainset. Front and rear mech bolted on.

Tomorrow, fit chain, new gear cable and adjust mechs. Then tighten headset, and change  brake pads.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #515 on: 29 March, 2009, 11:36:32 pm »
Mrs. Wow's cleat.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #516 on: 30 March, 2009, 06:05:19 am »
Mrs. Wow's cleat.
Shouldn't this be in NSFW?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #517 on: 30 March, 2009, 08:17:33 pm »
Road Morph pump. It was only getting up to 30psi, wheras it used to go to 100psi. Investigation eventually showed that the funny rubber bonnet shaped bit inside shouldn't be there. It was the rubber washer forming part of the non return valve trying to escape through the outlet hole.  Replaced it in its proper place,put silicone grease on the O rings.Saved 30 quid. Hah!
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

simonp

« Reply #518 on: 31 March, 2009, 01:31:05 am »
Edelux no. 2 fitted to Galaxy, tried out, and marveled at.

alan

« Reply #519 on: 31 March, 2009, 12:14:08 pm »
A plasterboard trolley.
We have some p.boards being delivered tomorrow. 3600x1200x12.5mm..There's no way I am going to even try to carry them about.Tis a relef that the work area is on the ground floor.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #520 on: 31 March, 2009, 12:41:35 pm »
A plasterboard trolley.

Surely there are more practical materials to make a trolley out of?
Getting there...

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #521 on: 03 April, 2009, 12:38:10 am »
Set up my son's bike after it had been shipped to the US (refitted pedals, stabilisers and straightened handlebars)

Built my single speed: fitted bars, refitted bars after deciding that it looked better with the forks facing forwards  ::-) ::-), put Proofride on the Brooks, fitted pedals, pumped tyres, fitted bottle cage & pump and swapped the brakes so that the front was on the right. Then gave my LBS their first bit of custom because in swapping the brakes I frayed the cable.

May even get to ride it at the weekend  8)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #522 on: 03 April, 2009, 08:52:56 am »
I fitted a chain tug to Priscilla.

I got a good deal on some MKS NJS tugs...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #523 on: 03 April, 2009, 08:56:15 am »
I fitted a chain tug to Priscilla.

I got a good deal on some MKS NJS tugs...

Is this something to do with bikes or some weird fetish thing?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #524 on: 03 April, 2009, 09:10:17 am »
This very morning after breakfast I fettled an accessory mount to Butterfly's Galaxy so she can fit brighter lights for our route home from the SEEKRIT BUNKER tonight.  Fiddly, and a very very silly clamp (they all are), but it seems OK. :)
Getting there...