Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134229 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #650 on: 17 May, 2009, 11:12:58 pm »
swapped the wheels on the race bike, readjusted the gears to suit. Removed bottle cage and pump ready for Tuesday.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #651 on: 17 May, 2009, 11:38:58 pm »
I completely re-rigged a boat.

It was
        |    |
<========>
     |    |

It's now
     |    |
<========>
        |    |

Stern-loader coxed-four.  Used to be stroke-on-bowside (starboard), now it's stroke-on-strokeside (port).  So every rigger needed to be re-spanned, re-pitched, and all the backstays' lengths adjusted.  And most of the backstay adjusters (left-n-right-threaded extenders) had seized solid.  Also checked height of each gate.  And some stripped threads (NEVER trust an oarsman with a spanner - to them it's a challenge!) replaced.

Most of the above done in the pouring rain.  About a gallon of water poured out when we turned the boat upside-down to put it away in the boathouse.

Aluminium/Steel interfaces in wet environments - never a great idea at the best of times.

All with a 10mm ratchet spanner, a 13mm box spanner, an adjustable spanner and a tape measure.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #652 on: 18 May, 2009, 06:26:34 pm »
I have attempted to fettle my utility bike.

I now remember why the set of Vredestein S-Licks I had as emergency slicks for my old MTB went into storage...

They are virtually impossible to fit, and eat non-metallic tyre levers.

Guess who's off to the bike shop for a new set of tyre levers and some 26" slicks?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr....
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #653 on: 18 May, 2009, 06:35:06 pm »
I put on a Brompton rear frame clip so I can choose when I want it to fold.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #654 on: 18 May, 2009, 11:03:50 pm »
Non-bicycle, but in the last couple of days, we've built a couple of wardrobes and a bed, and moved other bits of furniture about.

Oh - and dismantled a bed, too.
Getting there...

« Reply #655 on: 18 May, 2009, 11:09:18 pm »
Well if we're including non bike items, I turned a pile of shed bits into a cold frame (and a slightly smaller pile of shed bits) this weekend. :)  Slugs - do your damnedest. :P

simonp

« Reply #656 on: 18 May, 2009, 11:21:53 pm »
Bit of pompino adjustment: pulled the back wheel back a bit (chain was getting slack), adjusted rear brakes; checked headset and found that top stem bolt (fork tube end of stem) wasn't very tight.  Further investigation revealed that the fork tube was cut a little short so removed a spacer so that the stem had more to clamp onto.  Hopefully this will cure the annoying creak when I am climbing steep hills.  I shall pump the tyres up a bit and I'll be good to go.

« Reply #657 on: 18 May, 2009, 11:24:36 pm »
I've taken all 36 spokes out of a wheel.

That should save some weight.

simonp

« Reply #658 on: 18 May, 2009, 11:25:04 pm »
Why not just drill them?

« Reply #659 on: 18 May, 2009, 11:28:33 pm »
I drilled the first spoke, but the bit was wider than the spoke so I couldn't get both halves of the spoke to stay together.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #660 on: 18 May, 2009, 11:53:38 pm »
Well I have replaced the pedals on the road bike to egg beater SL and fitted the cleats to my shoes.

Rock and roll and no injuries

« Reply #661 on: 19 May, 2009, 12:39:43 am »
Well if we're including non bike items...

We always have, if you look back at the first page, I think it's item 9 before anyone mentions bikes.  Oddly enough, I can't remember what my post on that page relates to!

(Old age clearly kicking in...)
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #662 on: 19 May, 2009, 09:13:56 am »
I just fitted a new tyre to my back wheel **without using levers** for the first time

;D

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #663 on: 19 May, 2009, 09:19:18 am »
I just fitted a new tyre to my back wheel **without using levers** for the first time

;D
Nice one, Mike.

Richard's Bicycle Book (remember that?):
"Never wonder whether the tyre will go on.
Decide that it will."

Works for me.  :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #664 on: 19 May, 2009, 12:03:24 pm »
Richard's Bicycle Book (remember that?):
"Never wonder whether the tyre will go on.
Decide that it will."

Very Zen. :thumbsup:

« Reply #665 on: 19 May, 2009, 01:40:22 pm »
Built Mrs B's new rear wheel this morning. 

simonp

« Reply #666 on: 19 May, 2009, 01:41:17 pm »
Hoping for more fettling this evening; just bought new brakes, cables and mudguards for pompino.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #667 on: 19 May, 2009, 07:58:46 pm »
Well I lubricated the bike stand to stop it being annoyingly creaky.

Then took some wellgo half cleat, half normal pedals off some cranks that really took some taking off as they were quite seized on.  Now have managed to almost destroy a 15mm spanner as I spread the fork of the spanner, so the cost of a new spanner.  I had to use heat and a club hammer.  Nutty would have been proud.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #668 on: 19 May, 2009, 08:12:54 pm »
I've got a new chain and cassette to put on, so I thought I'd give the rear mech a good clean first.
I noticed that it seemed a bit "slack", and thought the pivots must be a bit worn. Then I noticed that the bolt fixing the mech to the frame had undone itself by several turns.  :o

A narrow escape, what?  :-X
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #669 on: 19 May, 2009, 10:21:39 pm »
New chain for my Winter bike tonight. Took slightly longer than planned after 3 interruptions for rain.

Wiltshire seems to be having worse weather than Wimbledon at the moment.

simonp

« Reply #670 on: 20 May, 2009, 12:46:22 am »
New Deore LX V brakes fitted to Pompino.  Hopefully trying it out tomorrow.

« Reply #671 on: 20 May, 2009, 01:23:49 am »
  Now have managed to almost destroy a 15mm spanner as I spread the fork of the spanner, so the cost of a new spanner.  I had to use heat and a club hammer.  Nutty would have been proud.

Before I give you a gold star and promote you to the top of the class, please provide me details of the use of your first aid kit.

simonp

« Reply #672 on: 21 May, 2009, 11:41:35 pm »
Fitted new mudguards to the Pompino.  Looks much better with shiny new ones on there.

However fitting them has been a total P.I.T.A.

1.  Had to drill out chain stay bridge bolt as it was welded in and/or the allen head had rusted.

2.  Had to drill out seat stay bridge bolt as it was similarly distressed.

3.  Pompino has strange design - seat stay bridge hole is in the bottom of the stay rather than the back so no way to screw bolt in to hold bridge clamp - resorted to cable ties.

4. Had a bit of trouble getting the chain stay clamp on with the remnants of the old bolt still in the hole, but made it.

5. SKS stay fittings are an arse.

6. Front mudguard: removing one of the stay bolts from the fork resulted in it snapping at the head.  Had to file down the protruding other end to make some flats so I could get a spanner on it and unscrew it.

7. Stays are far too long and the new fittings (see above) are an arse.  Particularly so in this case because they prevent me from moving the mudguard inwards.  This is the point I gave up last night.

8. Took it apart this evening and took the stays out to the garage and hacked 3cm off the ends, now it won't have dangerous toe overlap.

9. Assembled it all, wheels seem to go round.  Bit late to try it out tonight.  Maybe try it out tomorrow.

I would not last long as a bike mechanic, I would kill someone.

« Reply #673 on: 22 May, 2009, 01:32:20 am »
3.  Pompino has strange design - seat stay bridge hole is in the bottom of the stay rather than the back so no way to screw bolt in to hold bridge clamp - resorted to cable ties.

I didn't bother with the bridge clamp, I just put a hole in the mudguard at the appropriate point, and put a bolt through that hole directly.  I used a bolt with a small button allen key head, to keep it from hitting the tyre.  It's actually a bit neater than buggering around with those horrible bridge clamps.

« Reply #674 on: 22 May, 2009, 10:08:03 am »
Finished a complete rebuild of a Harley Davidson 1340 motor. Now all I need to do is put it back in, connect all the bolts, wires and lines and collect enough spons to order the Flying Gate.... :thumbsup: