Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2166584 times)

simonp

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #675 on: 22 May, 2009, 07:35:30 pm »
3.  Pompino has strange design - seat stay bridge hole is in the bottom of the stay rather than the back so no way to screw bolt in to hold bridge clamp - resorted to cable ties.

I didn't bother with the bridge clamp, I just put a hole in the mudguard at the appropriate point, and put a bolt through that hole directly.  I used a bolt with a small button allen key head, to keep it from hitting the tyre.  It's actually a bit neater than buggering around with those horrible bridge clamps.

Well, I couldn't do that due to not having drilled out the entire bolt, just the head.  Stainless is a pita to drill out since it work hardens.  I'm happy with the cable ties anyway.

robbo6

« Reply #676 on: 22 May, 2009, 09:40:56 pm »

« Reply #677 on: 23 May, 2009, 01:30:33 pm »
I've readjusted my headset, since the LBS left it a bit tight for my liking when they first fitted it.

Zoidburg

« Reply #678 on: 23 May, 2009, 08:58:16 pm »
Cleaned the fixed from one end to other, chain off and every link flossed out with a bit of mechanics fabric disposable towel stuff.

Silent running once again.

« Reply #679 on: 24 May, 2009, 04:28:46 pm »
Adjusted the Bromptons gears, since the new cable (replaced a broken one) on the 3-speed had stretched, & the 2-speed derailleur had mysteriously stopped working. But I can't fix the derailleur. All it  needs is the cable pulling through a little, but the clamping screw (a teensy-weensy delicate little Allen bolt) has lost its internal corners. :(

Bugger.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #680 on: 26 May, 2009, 02:21:32 pm »
Yesterday.

Remove wheel
Stick lock tool in Rohloff.
Stick other end of lock tool in vice.
Wrap chain tool around sprocket.
Pull hard. Bench moves across floor.
Decide to use copper ease when refitting.
Replace bench.  Foot against bench top even stronger pull.
Fall over backwards, apparently used copper ease last time.
Reverse sprocket

Change tyre to one without orange stripe.
Pump up.
Refit wheel.

Test ride. Chain not slipping. Result.

« Reply #681 on: 30 May, 2009, 11:07:46 pm »
Needed to change a resistor with no electronics tools.

Removed the old one with a screwdriver warmed on a camping stove.

Made a new one with pencil lead by colouring in the gap until I got to the right resistance.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #682 on: 30 May, 2009, 11:38:25 pm »
Fitted new brake blocks to my single speed.

« Reply #683 on: 30 May, 2009, 11:38:25 pm »
New pinch bolt for the Brompton 2-speed derailleur changer arrived, so fixed it. Needed to pop out & buy a new cable first, as the useless gits who fitted the previous one cut the end sloppily, so it was too frayed to go through the hole, & there wasn't enough spare on the end to cut off the frayed bit & still have a usable cable. Grrr!

But the 3-speed is now buggered. The nipple came off the end of the cable (I don't remember that happening to me before - & oddly, the nipple looks as if someone's snipped a bit off of it. That useless LBS again?). It stayed inside, blocking the hole I needed to feed the new cable through, & I had to open up the changer to get it out. Carefully saved the little spring that makes it all work, when I dismantled it - then dropped it when putting everything back together. And now I can't find it. AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!

Does anyone know where I can get a new spring for a Brompton 3-speed changer? I suppose I could ask Brompton, but they just sent me 3 (nice to have spares) pinch bolts, when I complained about their authorised dealer wrecking one, so I don't really want to impose on them if I can avoid it, especially as this one is my fault.

At least the derailleur now works.

Almost forgot to say: there was a low tyre pressure problem in the old (scheduled for disposal, but temporarily still in use) audax etc bike. While patching the causative orifice, I realised that riding 60 miles, including some fast downhills, on that tyre was probably unwise. Luckily, I had an old Michelin Axial sitting around, used a bit but still sound. I'd have hated having to put a new tyre on that bike.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #684 on: 31 May, 2009, 01:15:12 pm »
When I had my fork replaced my bike computer no longer worked.  Spent time moving the magnet to different positions. Tried 'puter in other bike. Tried other 'puter in cable. I could hear the reed switch clicking so I looked at the cable itself.  I noticed that the cable had been nicked when the old cable ties around the old fork had been cut.  Chucked cable in bin.  Searched for spare cable in bits box. To my surprise found one. Fitted 'puter works again.

Oiled chain on two bikes.

Pumped up flat tyre. Concluded valve fault because it did not go down again.

Tightened bar end on Dawes Discovery 101 which will hopefully stop slipping.

« Reply #685 on: 31 May, 2009, 01:46:01 pm »
Two lack of air in rear tyre incidents.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #686 on: 31 May, 2009, 01:53:55 pm »
Fitted Anne's new birthday wheels to her Santa Cruz yesterday.  While the workshop was open, neighbours turned up with a bike needing a headset change and saddle transplant, another bike with a warped rear disc, and their friend, one of our mountain bikiing buddies, had snapped a chain.  All were lovingly and sociably fettled in the sunshine, and we cracked a cold one or two afterwards.

alan

« Reply #687 on: 02 June, 2009, 07:18:01 pm »
In order to replenish the brownie-points account I started with domestic type fettling:mow the lawns,do the Tesco-tango,put up the gazebo,move plants & garden furniture around,fixing wall mounted external clock & thermometer.
Then de-fettled the Longstaff by removing the Ortlieb bar-bag & bracket & refitting the bag to Marj's Trice from where it was borrowed for JoGLE:refitted the map trap to the Longstaff's handlebars.

« Reply #688 on: 02 June, 2009, 08:21:58 pm »
Tonight saw the annual remove-carbon-fork-and-check-for-damage fettle on the R3. I'm pleased to report nothing to report!

« Reply #689 on: 02 June, 2009, 10:45:14 pm »
Day off yesterday so dismantled the Langster for new chain and cleaning.

A close inspection of the tyres and they are both write offs

Front - Spec Mondo already has 3 duck tape tyre boots in it and there is a fresh split though the case caused by a glass sliver - ho hum it was pretty well worn anyway

Back - Spec Roubaix Elite had 2 similar splits through the tread showing the white base layer. Probably salvageable but I'm fed up with fairy visits.

2 Vittoria Rubino slicks on their way - no recent experience but a friend swears by them and he commutes more miles than me so I'll try them

With the usual commuter off the road I dug out the Graham Weigh 531 - seems very heavy compared to the Langster but my time in this morning was in the normal bracket. A few adjustments to make it more comfortable this evening - Handle bars up a little (good old quill stem) and saddle back a few cm and swapped the pedals over
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #690 on: 02 June, 2009, 11:00:55 pm »
Does weeding my veg. plot count ???????
Rich

Tim

« Reply #691 on: 02 June, 2009, 11:14:06 pm »
Rear tyre on MTB was looking a bit soft, spun wheel... "That looks like the end of a ..." <hiss as it I pull> "thorn". Realise that one of the other patches is also failing that covers a tear in the tube and decide to bin the tube as a lost cause.

Move onto to next flat tyre, on the tandem, which as deflated whilst the bike was residing in the garage. Overinflate tube to try an spot hole... ah that'll be coming apart at the seam where a puncture was just enough to trigger it all coming apart. Second tube for the day deemed a lost cause.

Ho hum, going to the LBS tomorrow anyway as they have the grand opening of their extension.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #692 on: 02 June, 2009, 11:14:53 pm »
Does weeding my veg. plot count ???????

I'll let you have that if I can have fettlng the hedge to a couple of foot shorter.

Still got a lot left to do.

« Reply #693 on: 08 June, 2009, 08:45:47 am »
Yesterday I fettled a new grip onto my cricket bat. I then had a look at my Roadrat to sort out its slack chain but it was really fine and the whole thing was an illusion, honest.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #694 on: 08 June, 2009, 09:08:55 am »
Just fettled a new set of brake blocks onto the Kaffenback, which I should have done before the FNRttC, but didn't have time.  Luckily things didn't seem to be too bad, and I survived the ride.  The morning commute should be a lot safer now though, the blocks I took off were alarmingly well worn for 2000 miles of use.
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #695 on: 08 June, 2009, 09:27:39 am »
At the weekend, we disentangled the lesser used bikes from the weeds, and:

Got the Dawes 2Across back on the (off)road, and remembered how much fun it can be for short spins (even if it's not so good for distance or touring).

Assessed the other bikes:

Peugeot hardtail
Apollo BSO
Muddy Fox Explorer
British Eagle BSO
Our Kid's BMX

and did a full examination to find what was needed to get them back working again.  One BSO was condemned, but the other can be mended.  There's a lot of work to be done, but replacing cables/chains etc will go a long way...
Getting there...

« Reply #696 on: 08 June, 2009, 12:26:44 pm »
New front gear cable put on the Audax bike yesterday to replace the frayed old one.

Those frayed wire ends are vicious aren't they.

« Reply #697 on: 08 June, 2009, 12:28:40 pm »
New front gear cable put on the Audax bike yesterday to replace the frayed old one.

Those frayed wire ends are vicious aren't they.

They are if you change one while wearing socks and no shoes and then fuckwittedly step on one. Bah!!!
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #698 on: 08 June, 2009, 01:08:18 pm »
Having fitted frogglegs to Fred over the weekend I can now officially say that I have not set them up right. Cos they suck. I've had better braking from a block of mouldy cheddar. I know they should be setuppable to be the best thing since whatever so will have another go tonight..

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

robbo6

« Reply #699 on: 08 June, 2009, 02:52:59 pm »
*New* chain on the Mercian, by *new* I mean a Renold/Brampton made in 1959, cost 11/5d.