Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2161131 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #1125 on: 01 January, 2010, 10:47:15 pm »
My knee, my elbow and the winter tyres back on the Thorn.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1126 on: 02 January, 2010, 09:34:40 am »
My knee, my elbow and the winter tyres back on the Thorn.

When my studded tyres turn up they will be going on and staying on. I can't afford to come off again on ice as my pulled muscles are agony this morning.

« Reply #1127 on: 02 January, 2010, 11:00:33 am »
Yesterday I re-fettled the brakes on Theia and finally sorted them out.  I am happy with them for the time being.
Sorted out all my new bits and bobs too.  All good.

I've just 'found' 7 inner tubes that need repairing.  That is a job for today in dribs and drabs.

I have also got the MTB out and the tyres and depending upon the answer to my question, I may be changing tyres.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1128 on: 02 January, 2010, 03:13:12 pm »
Put the triple front mech and medium cage veloce rear onto the carbon bling bike. It now has very big and very little gears. Should do me nicely for the season now..

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #1129 on: 02 January, 2010, 03:52:14 pm »
Mudguard clearance. I hate mudguards.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #1130 on: 02 January, 2010, 04:12:12 pm »
New chainset(compact), chain and cassette on my Steve Goff Prodigy.
I wont be riding this though untill the weather improves, its more of a summer bike ya see  8)

« Reply #1131 on: 03 January, 2010, 04:53:27 pm »
Just fitted new Cateye lights to my CX bike for commuting duties. EL530 front and LD610 rear.

The bracket for the rear light is a little bulky, using one of those easy release/plastic wheel style clamps. So much so that when seatpost mounted it catches the back of my thigh when I'm pedalling. A traditional, more slim-line bracket has just been ordered from Wiggle for hopefully a better outcome.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1132 on: 03 January, 2010, 07:10:15 pm »
Cleaned the filthy touring bike, which had to do commuting duties for a couple of months.  Good honest dirt though - no salt.  Then failed to find the special QR for the turbo trainer so ordered another one from Wiggle.  Set up the turbo trainer roller anyway - 700 x 28 seems to be the very biggest tyre it will accommodate.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #1133 on: 03 January, 2010, 07:17:12 pm »
Took the knobbies off and put the Marathon Plus tyres onto the MTB for another test ride along the canal tow path.  Better but still hopefully not as sure as the pending Marathon Snow Stud tyres that are coming from Wiggle  :thumbsup:

Fitted Joystick MaxX2 to the bars too and the Lumi to the rear.

rdaviesb

« Reply #1134 on: 03 January, 2010, 07:18:28 pm »
Built two new doors for the shed. A little finishing off to do tomorrow, but it now get too 'ecking cold to work outside.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1135 on: 03 January, 2010, 08:13:09 pm »
Cleaned (ish - it was cold! :-[ ) the commuting bikes, and got one tyre changed on Butterfly's.  The M+ 25s are a lot tighter on her rims than on my A719s.  :(

Off to do the next in a minute...
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1136 on: 03 January, 2010, 08:30:20 pm »
Cleaned (ish - it was cold! :-[ ) the commuting bikes, and got one tyre changed on Butterfly's.  The M+ 25s are a lot tighter on her rims than on my A719s.  :(

Off to do the next in a minute...

Not watching Top Gear then?  ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1137 on: 03 January, 2010, 08:31:59 pm »
Oh noes!  Iz I missing it? :o
Getting there...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #1138 on: 03 January, 2010, 08:33:05 pm »
The bike-rinsing water is froze.

I wash them another day.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

goatpebble

« Reply #1139 on: 03 January, 2010, 09:25:04 pm »
The bike-rinsing water is froze.

I wash them another day.

Do you have special re-cycled bike washing water, from a butt? Being a flat-dweller, I wash my bike in the shower, thermostat controlled and evryfink.

« Reply #1140 on: 03 January, 2010, 09:29:35 pm »
New chain and cassette on the Audax bike. Cleaned all the bits I normally miss (like rear derailleur areas that you can't get to easily when it's got a wheel and chain fitted).
New brake blocks all round, spent some time making sure they are set correctly (rather than my usual "ooh, they look a bit low, better slide in new pads as I'm heading out of the door now").
Got around to remaking the connections to my rear dynamo light that has been a bit intermittent for a few weeks.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1141 on: 03 January, 2010, 10:03:10 pm »
I managed to bully the second tyre into place, and Butterfly has reset her computer.  As for my bike, it now sports a lovely pair of XTR pedals to match hers, courtesy of the delightful Butterfly :)

I washed some of the gunk (well, half-dissolved strepsils and Gaviscon) out of my saddlebag.  I'll need to pack it in the morning.  What are the chances that I remember everything I need as I stumble about at 7am tomorrow? ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #1142 on: 03 January, 2010, 10:17:41 pm »

I washed some of the gunk (well, half-dissolved strepsils and Gaviscon) out of my saddlebag. 

Hope it's now feeling much better, it must be all this weather?
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1143 on: 03 January, 2010, 10:26:19 pm »
Well, tbh, it ingested the medicine some time around July :-[
Getting there...

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #1144 on: 04 January, 2010, 12:44:10 pm »
Stripped my TCR on Saturday for a proper clean & re-build.  It needs new jockey wheels, cassette, chain & 52/39 chainrings.  I will fit some gore ride on gear cables while I'm at it and the rims on my ksyrium's need replacing.   
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #1145 on: 04 January, 2010, 06:23:32 pm »
Cyo on the Saracen. Might get moved to the Soma if it proves good, although I'm a bit reluctant to replace the solidlights cos they work and are bombproof.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1146 on: 04 January, 2010, 11:15:10 pm »
I have carefully dissassembled my inkjet printer, soaked the head in water, pushed water through with a syringe and put it back together without swearing once. For the first time in eons it prints properly coloured pics - there is now real yellow in there.

..d

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1147 on: 05 January, 2010, 08:39:45 pm »
Fitted the cheapest available 23mm tyre (a Vittoria Zaffino)  to the back of the Hewitt, attached the wheel with the special Tacx skewer and then got the turbo out.

It's surprising how much the metal roller wears out on a turbo.  Mine has big ridges and dips in it.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #1148 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:26:16 pm »
Just about to fit a rear Crud Catcher to the MTB.  Don't want another frozen bottom if I can help it.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #1149 on: 05 January, 2010, 11:32:28 pm »
I fettled my lovely oldskool Rockhopper, ready for a bit more of this sort of action:

Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk