Author Topic: carradice bag for brompton - anyone used this?  (Read 6655 times)

carradice bag for brompton - anyone used this?
« on: 01 March, 2018, 10:08:53 am »
https://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/commuting-folding/originals-city-folder-m

Contemplating picking up a 2nd-hand brommie and luggage. Has anyone used the carradice front bag on a brommie?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
Re: carradice bag for brompton - anyone used this?
« Reply #1 on: 01 March, 2018, 11:15:06 am »
I have had one for around 7 years now and use it a lot. It's getting a bit tatty now (or "worn in gracefully" as Carradice would say) and I am considering sending it to them for some TLC, mainly the strap stitching underneath the bag, but it gets quite a hard life so I am not complaining.
It is bigger than a Bromptom small (S?) bag and smaller than a large T bag. I find it big enough for a three day business trip - I can fit laptop and related paraphernalia, clothes, wash things, waterproof jacket and D lock in it, but I am a fairly minimal packer. The two back pockets seem to swallow lots of stuff and are very useful, although you have to be careful closing these to get reasonable waterproofing. Overall the main bag withstands rain, but I find sometimes in really bad conditions water can come up from underneath.
My main niggle is the shoulder strap, which is usefully long for carrying the bag, but needs to be tucked away for cycling. I just do this by putting it on the top of the bag and closing the flap over it. No doubt someone will come along with some really neat solution to this, but I have just got used to having to open/close the bag to get access to the strap. I do like the retro styling of the buckles and straps but appreciate the quick release fasteners underneath. It means you only have to use the buckles to adjust it to fit more or less in there.

« Reply #2 on: 01 March, 2018, 12:00:24 pm »
Brompton branded bags are made in the Carradice factory.

This looks to be very similarly sized / priced to the Brompton C bag - the main difference between the two being the material - Waxed cotton for the Carradice, Cordura nylon for the Brompton C
I Scotchgarded my Brompton C bag when I first bought it. It's still doing a good job of keeping out the wet stuff a year or so later.

« Reply #3 on: 01 March, 2018, 01:15:33 pm »
For the shoulder strap I tuck it behind the bag just above the mounting block. Its quite neat.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 01 March, 2018, 01:20:47 pm »
Brompton branded bags are made in the Carradice factory.

Are they?  They're Radical[1] products.  https://www.radicaldesign.com/what-we-make-for-others/brompton.html

I Scotchgarded my Brompton C bag when I first bought it. It's still doing a good job of keeping out the wet stuff a year or so later.

That's good to know, I should do mine.

[1] Molisher of well-designed, if not properly waterproof, recumbent-specific luggage.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 01 March, 2018, 01:31:09 pm »
Oh, Brompton front luggage 101:

Most front bags for Bromptons (apart from the really small ones) are built around a (detachable) aluminium/plastic frame that fits to the luggage block.  There are two standard sizes: The one used by the 'C' and 'T' bags, and a smaller one used by the 'S' bag.

There's an issue with bags based on the larger frame fouling on the brake cables where they exit the levers if used on the flat-barred 'S-type' Brompton.  Potential work-arounds include raising the bars a couple of inches (by fitting riser bars, or a stem extender) and cutting the plastic handle off the top of the bag frame (this isn't structural, and you could potentially bodge in a replacement with a soft material that lies flat).  Even so, this still precludes making full use of the overloadability of the 'T' bag.

Brompton rear luggage 101:

You can do it, but it's only really sensible if you've already made full use of the front.  Saddlebags are popular, as they don't compromise the fold.  The Brompton luggage rack is best regarded as a prop-stand, anti-wobble (of the folded package - it greatly improves the operation of the easy wheels) and mudguard-protection device, which can be usefully employed for carrying extra shopping home from time to time.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 01 March, 2018, 01:35:53 pm »
The original Brompton bags were made by Carradice and used a Nitto-made steel frame for the bags. When Brompton swapped to the Al/ plastic bag frame, Radical started making the main bags and I don't think that has changed since, though also Ortlieb make some Brompton bags nowadays. Carradice eventually started making their own-labelled line of Brompton bags.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #7 on: 01 March, 2018, 02:12:56 pm »
I stand corrected :) My information came from someone OTP who had just scored a C bag from Brompton's factory seconds shop.

<snip>
 and cutting the plastic handle off the top of the bag frame
</snip>

Mine is thusly cleft.

« Reply #8 on: 01 March, 2018, 02:49:01 pm »
Brompton rear luggage 101:
...it's only really sensible if you've already made full use of the front.  Saddlebags are popular, as they don't compromise the fold. 
I seem to be the only person who doesn't like the (ShortWheelBase at least) Brompton's handling
with only front luggage at all (but especially when standing on pedals): I would always start with a saddlebag before overflowing into a front bag).
And the saddlebag is an improvement over a (non-lightly filled) rear rackbag to me.

« Reply #9 on: 01 March, 2018, 03:42:24 pm »
I've never ridden a modern Brompton, only an old T3 (I owned one back when Bromptons were a novelty anywhere). It handled ok with luggage on the back, usually an old aluminium camera case bungee-strapped across the rack (containing my laptop and sundry items).

However the old suspension hinge arrangement and short wheelbase made for 'exciting' handling when braking hard - and you couldn't take your weight off the saddle, because the bike would fold up under you. So hard braking was a no no.

I guess with the new suspension system you have the option of hanging your arse off the rear of the saddle in the event of needing to do an emergency braking maneuver.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 01 March, 2018, 03:56:17 pm »
Modern Bromptons have a catch that prevents unexpected folding, which can be engaged and disengaged by rotating (by hand) the suspension elastomer.  I just leave it in the active position, because it's not that much of a hassle to pull it when you fold the bike, and I find it useful to be able to pick the unfolded bike up and carry it (eg. up steps) by resting the saddle nose on my shoulder.

Hard braking isn't really a thing on unmodified Bromptons anyway, unless you mean hard in the 'difficult' sense.  :)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #11 on: 01 March, 2018, 04:08:38 pm »
That Carradice bag has the frame adapter shoved up its innards so it mounts on the front luggage block (£15)

It's a superb design in my opinion as the luggage doesn't directly load the steering, meaning you can carry unfeasibly heavy loads up front that would be terrifying in a normal bar bag.

I have a Brompton O Bag (Ortlieb) which seems like a similar size.  The plan is to cycle to French Cafes with my laptop and write Blogs about my amazing life in France*

The advantage of those big bags at the front is the enormous drag they create...preventing you from ever going too fast and risking serious injury.

*Rather than looking glumly at frozen slush on my driveway in Hampshire.

As Kim says Re. the frame pivot lock.  My hand naturally reaches for it as I lift to fold the bike. Without it it's like picking up a snapped Brommie.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 01 March, 2018, 04:56:38 pm »
The advantage of those big bags at the front is the enormous drag they create...preventing you from ever going too fast and risking serious injury.

Don't worry too much about this though, because even without a bag fitted, the Brompton's small wheels, crap suspension[1] and riding position will give you a substantial safety margin...

[1] It's better to think of it as part of the fold mechanism that happens to sap some pedalling energy, rather than comparing it to proper bike suspension.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #13 on: 01 March, 2018, 05:08:25 pm »

Don't worry too much about this though, because even without a bag fitted, the Brompton's small wheels, crap suspension[1] and riding position will give you a substantial safety margin...

[1] It's better to think of it as part of the fold mechanism that happens to sap some pedalling energy, rather than comparing it to proper bike suspension.

Perhaps better to consider it all part of a clever distributed braking system?  The actual brakes failing on a Brompton may not be such a catastrophic event as a "normal" bike since they only tend to provide around 15% of the overall speed reduction.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 01 March, 2018, 05:18:39 pm »

Perhaps better to consider it all part of a clever distributed braking system?  The actual brakes failing on a Brompton may not be such a catastrophic event as a "normal" bike since they only tend to provide around 15% of the overall speed reduction.

I think this needs crossposting to the "Bike Design" thread...

« Reply #15 on: 09 March, 2018, 10:13:47 am »
https://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/commuting-folding/originals-city-folder-m

Contemplating picking up a 2nd-hand brommie and luggage. Has anyone used the carradice front bag on a brommie?
[/quote

I may be able to help you in this regard.
I have two Brommies available both of which are hardly used.
One is the standard model, and the other an all singing six speed, titanium rear end with front dyno hub.
I also have the Brompton front bag and bike carry bag.

Simon

« Reply #16 on: 09 March, 2018, 10:26:29 am »
Thanks - I'm still waiting for my 'background checks' to be completed. The wait is making me nervous. Can't make commitments to accommodation or anything else until those come through (they are final obstacle to starting work).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #17 on: 24 March, 2018, 02:19:09 pm »
I'm confused by the Carradice description of these bags. It says
Fixing systems: Brompton front carrier block and standard metal frame (Not included)

That implies that you need the full metal frame gubbings, rather than just the plastic mounting block. Are they mistaken?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 24 March, 2018, 02:28:07 pm »
Sounds like they're not selling the frame with the bag.

« Reply #19 on: 24 March, 2018, 02:54:23 pm »
When I bought a Carradice bag (some years ago) I was shocked that I had to buy the metal frame and plastic block separately.

I would say that during the intervening years I have stopped thinking about this injustice... but I haven't.

Nice bag though.

I see they do colours other than black and also list these:

https://upsobags.co.uk/recycled-bike-bags/ferrybridge-folder-brompton

which look nice.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20 on: 24 March, 2018, 03:07:47 pm »
When I bought a Carradice bag (some years ago) I was shocked that I had to buy the metal frame and plastic block separately.

The plastic block that bolts to the bike is sold as a bike accessory, rather than a piece of luggage.  You wouldn't expect, or likely want, your Ortlieb panniers to come with a luggage rack either.  (Though you might be irked if you discovered that they were supplied without fixings, which is more or less equivalent to what Carradice are doing by not supplying the frame of a Brompton bag.)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #21 on: 24 March, 2018, 03:11:52 pm »
The Ortliebs have a built-in "frame" (actually a solid plastic moulding) that engages with the luggage block accessory.

It makes for effortless mounting/de-mounting but also means the luggage can never look as nice as the Carradice with the frame removed.  It's always Brompton luggage and never a nice briefcase.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 24 March, 2018, 03:14:07 pm »
The Ortliebs have a built-in "frame" (actually a solid plastic moulding) that engages with the luggage block accessory.

It makes for effortless mounting/de-mounting but also means the luggage can never look as nice as the Carradice with the frame removed.  It's always Brompton luggage and never a nice briefcase.

Sorry, I completely forgot about the O bags.  I was thinking of back-rollers, by way of an analogy.  I'll edit the post.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #23 on: 27 March, 2018, 04:22:58 pm »
I have the  Game Bag in Waxed Peat Green

for when I'm commuting into the smoke.  A cracking piece of kit, made by Chapman for Brompton.

You can get them for substantially less that they're advertised on the Brompton site, by the way...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #24 on: 27 March, 2018, 04:29:11 pm »
You'd need to. I may be a filthy tech on a filthy salary, but I'm also (still) supporting 3 children in education and have to pay for two places of accommodation <cue violins>

Not yet decided whether to get a folding bike; will spend a week at work first sans bike and see how logistics pan out.
<i>Marmite slave</i>