Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3889354 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #24650 on: 14 June, 2021, 11:44:37 pm »
Out before breakfast both days over the week-end, just short rides checking up on who was going out in the two groups of the club. Both rides under 1h30 moving (and a bit more chatting and faffing). Saturday I used the folder as the SRF 5 bearings were a bit sloppy and my GPS says that I did 20km/h getting to the rdv (all up hill but the "easier" long way round). Sunday I used the Moser with the adjusted SRF 5. Steeper hill due to less time - the sunday group are a bit sharper - but only 15km/h. Total climbing about the same since same start and finish. The total ride ended up with the folder slightly faster. I am a bit amazed and very puzzled ??? Next w-e I may be able to go out a bit longer, only a month to get fit before the 100k. I am being very tempted to use the folder for that!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #24651 on: 15 June, 2021, 09:49:16 am »
Up to Gloucester the scenic route. Had my second lunch on Alney Island, where I heard Sibelius a cuckoo. Abandoned the plan to continue through Ashleworth – legs just weren't up to it.  :-[ It was already five o'clock; yeah, that's second lunch if I say so on the day. Third lunch was eaten on the green at Frampton, where a cricket match was in progress. Framptonians claim their village had the largest green in England. It's divided into quadrants, one of which – the one by the Bell and the village shop – serves as the cricket ground, making it (they claim) the smallest cricket ground in England. Facts open to checking but it certainly is a large green and a small cricket ground, with sixes and fours in abundance. The match meant the village shop was still open, hence third lunch. Three cheers for village cricket! Got home in the dark, first ride using lights since so long ago I don't actually remember. And my cyclist's tan, unlike Asterix's, is very much pinker than most years, due to lack of spring riding and the sudden attack of summer. Don't know the precise distance but probably only my third ride over 100km this year. Feels like a long time till I'll be back to 200.  :-\

There is (or was in 2016) a really lovely pub at the other end of the green from the big posh place. Brilliant food and a mini boulodrome where we played pétanque with the late Tonton Paul (who told us about it). Apparently it was CAMRA best rural pub or some such like.
I'm aware of the place you mean but I've never been there. Yet!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #24652 on: 15 June, 2021, 07:49:22 pm »
Up to Gloucester the scenic route. Had my second lunch on Alney Island, where I heard Sibelius a cuckoo. Abandoned the plan to continue through Ashleworth – legs just weren't up to it.  :-[ It was already five o'clock; yeah, that's second lunch if I say so on the day. Third lunch was eaten on the green at Frampton, where a cricket match was in progress. Framptonians claim their village had the largest green in England. It's divided into quadrants, one of which – the one by the Bell and the village shop – serves as the cricket ground, making it (they claim) the smallest cricket ground in England. Facts open to checking but it certainly is a large green and a small cricket ground, with sixes and fours in abundance. The match meant the village shop was still open, hence third lunch. Three cheers for village cricket! Got home in the dark, first ride using lights since so long ago I don't actually remember. And my cyclist's tan, unlike Asterix's, is very much pinker than most years, due to lack of spring riding and the sudden attack of summer. Don't know the precise distance but probably only my third ride over 100km this year. Feels like a long time till I'll be back to 200.  :-\

There is (or was in 2016) a really lovely pub at the other end of the green from the big posh place. Brilliant food and a mini boulodrome where we played pétanque with the late Tonton Paul (who told us about it). Apparently it was CAMRA best rural pub or some such like.

Well worth a stop, or at least it certainly was pre-Covid. I can only hope it has managed to survive the crisis.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #24653 on: 15 June, 2021, 09:12:37 pm »
Usual 30 mile Lechlade loop.  Got videoed by a driver stuck behind us on a narrow lane (handheld phone camera while driving, that's safe), so hopefully we are now starring in a YouTube clip titled "PEEDO LICRA LOUTS DONT PAY ROAD TAX".
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24654 on: 17 June, 2021, 11:07:31 am »
Unintentional 135k loop, thx to road-works and dallying further along in the coolth by the Rhine-Marne canal than I had meant to.  Looked for a good Alsacien rotwurst sandwich in Saverne, but my favourite kiosk has been replaced by a burger waggon, and none of the other eateries deign to stoop so low. Place was crawling with schoolkids anyway, so I buggered off and lunched out in the country on salami & gingerbread out of my HB bag.  Nearly got sideswiped by a truck carrying two large vans and a third on a trailer: he was belting down a curving hill that I was crawling up, and the whole shebang began riding out wide on the curve. I left the road without falling over, and he managed to pull his whole rig straight with under a metre of tarmac left.  Heart rate was already high from the hill; went higher. All OK though.

Got home 2 hours late in 33°C instead of the 28°C it would have been had I followed my plan. Good dose of sunburn, and it took two pints of Isostar (sugar-free) before the incipient cramps disappeared.  Knackered today.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #24655 on: 17 June, 2021, 04:15:16 pm »
Last night I went to the Summer Cycle at Kew Gardens - the gardens are open to just cyclists to ride around most the gardens (went with my daughter)   A very pleasant evening with a picnic. 

Being London there were countless Bromptons of all colours - we had matching black ones.   Surprising number of the titanium frame Bromptons too, and a few obviously bespoke paint jobs/special editions too.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24656 on: 17 June, 2021, 04:27:38 pm »
Being London there were countless Bromptons of all colours - we had matching black ones.   Surprising number of the titanium frame Bromptons too, and a few obviously bespoke paint jobs/special editions too.

Sounds as if it's turning into a sort-of cycling 2CV.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #24657 on: 17 June, 2021, 06:07:45 pm »

Sounds as if it's turning into a sort-of cycling 2CV.

;D

. . .  and of course the obligatory coffee shop in a Citroen H-van!  In a moment of weakness I looked at a van as a project but with the engine in the cab it's almost impossible for anyone over about 5'3" to drive!    Out in the country it also seems that there is a trend for turning Rice horse trailers into mobile coffee shops (at least 3 within my area of usual cycling)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24658 on: 18 June, 2021, 09:10:12 am »

Well worth a stop, or at least it certainly was pre-Covid. I can only hope it has managed to survive the crisis.
Still in business but closed at the times I went past on Tuesday and Thursday. See below...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24659 on: 18 June, 2021, 09:40:17 am »
Fed up with working at weekends, or just with work, I took off on Tuesday afternoon after a morning's faffing, intending to finally use my new tent. New as in had it since the winter before Covid... So I rolled out of the city under the blazing sun via Gaunt's Earthcott and Olveston, finding that Fern Hill, a big descent between the two, had been turned into South Gloucestershire's very own strada biancha by tipping several imperial skid-tons of gravel all over it. Made a mental note to return a different way. By the time I got to Frampton I was hungry, but the Three Horseshoes (see above) was closed as was the little cafe next to it. I stopped at the village shop, where I got an absolutely amazing yoghurt at the Grumpy Stubble-faced Man's shop. I noted it was from "Jess's Ladies", a dairy farm I knew I would pass just south of Gloucester.

Yoghurt digression: it was a simple natural yogurt, no fruit or flavourings of any kind, nor did it claim to be Greek, Bulgarian or Turkish, but it had an amazing tang, almost lemony. It really tasted of "yogurt" rather than "milk". The blurb mentioned organic, unhomogenised milk, which I'm sure is important but I reckon that's some top cultured bacteria they've got at Hardwicke Farm.

I also got some really good flapjacks from Beau's Bakery at the southern end of the village, just off the canal. Also lemony and gingery, but from actual lemon and ginger, not yogurt culture. Right, that's quite enough about Frampton.

So I rode through the edge of Gloucester, by the docks and out across the Island, over the hill between Maisemore and Hartpury where you can see the Cotswolds to the right and the Malverns to the left, until Ashleworth, where I stopped at the village shop – now expanded into a "hub" with cafe/restaurant, outdoor seating and so on, where I bought some courgettes and onions, which I carried in my panniers another mile or so to Rectory Farm. The farmer, who reminded me of my late father-in-law (short, broad, missing teeth, worried about his chickens, happy with pigs) claimed he recognized me.

Put my tent up, talked to a bloke from Congleton about a snake, read Hemingway, cooked cous-cous. Did the same the next day, combined with a bit of local exploring looking for a track I knew but couldn't quite remember the location of. Had an omlette at Ashleworth's hub, okay, nothing special. Then yesterday packed my tent up, cool enough to wear a jacket in the morning, rode slowly home a slightly different way (avoiding Fern Hill's gravel), thought about doing it all again. Got home, put the kettle on. End of story.

« Reply #24660 on: 19 June, 2021, 07:31:47 pm »
Left at 6:30 on my touring bike to meet my son. Punctured after one miles returned home ASAP as sealant stopped puncture at about 10 psi. Didn't have time to fix it as on a tight schedule ( meeting at a specific time and place) . 50 m8le round trip on 29er MTB hardball. Locked out the forks and enjoyed a plush ride even though the lanes were awash with gravel and debris brought about by yesterday's rain. It proved to be just the bike on this occasion. Bonus was seeing both a Red Kite and a Buzzard within 200 metres of each other I believe the hay meadow and CAP margins were rich in prey

« Reply #24661 on: 20 June, 2021, 01:12:08 am »
I rode to Cleethorpes and back, 300km - from Sheffield - starting at 11pm on Friday

I'm not sure I can stomach long, flat rides anymore - the lack of scenery and no climbing or descending just make for a boring ride - I'd rather sacrifice average speed for a better overall experience. Some company may have helped make the situation less mind numbing.

Aside from the boredom it was a good ride. My legs ticked over nicely and I stopped for some good eats along the way.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24662 on: 20 June, 2021, 04:52:00 pm »
I'm not sure I can stomach long, flat rides anymore - the lack of scenery and no climbing or descending just make for a boring ride - I'd rather sacrifice average speed for a better overall experience. Some company may have helped make the situation less mind numbing.

Yeah.  I once organized an Audax that had a dead flat 35k stretch on a road parallel to the Rhine but with a berm and a bit of forest in between.  I was not popular.

---o0o---

60k for me today, 3 days after 2nd AZ shot.  Felt quite strong, had fun. Better than first ride after shot n°1, when I turned back after 3 km, utterly drained.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #24663 on: 20 June, 2021, 06:47:12 pm »
When out to bag a single tile on one of the roads around Kirkliston that's been delisted since the building of the M90-M9 link, also means I rode down the road that the link replaced, the A8000 aka the B800 aka Scotland's 1990s short-sighted traffic jam.

I now of course discover that the NLS digital map library stops before the FRB was built and this is likely to now reult in me trawling eBay to fill the gaps in my map collection round those parts.

Also Caught up with IroIroMono at Echline McDonald's as he finished the twilight 600 perm, I had a long wait because I couldn't sleep, wanted to ideally get going at upsun, (which I missed by 20 mins) and didn't have extra planned I case I had a long wait... So schoolboy error there since I was predicting his progress pretty accurately.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #24664 on: 21 June, 2021, 10:23:28 pm »
To Howden and back, met up there with a friend who came up from Sheffield. The Cheese Shop and That Tea Room were open. I think I may have over-eaten. Still, it got me home through the chilly north-easterly greyness.

rogerzilla

« Reply #24665 on: 22 June, 2021, 06:24:37 pm »
Went to a hospital appointment first thing on the LHT because it was wet.  Rode back with one pupil dilated in bright sun  :sick:

Have just given the £300 Brompton S6L its maiden voyage across town.  It is very, very good with the "old" 6 speed, which is close-ratio.  It all looks and works like new now.  Oh, and a Joseph Kuosac suspension block transforms it.  No bobbing at all.  The Brompton "firm" block, I find indistinguishable from the standard one.

« Reply #24666 on: 22 June, 2021, 08:39:35 pm »
Only local pottering about recently and mainly on the ez3 trike as one of the battreys has packed up  also the trice bb bearings are failing slowly again. I'm going to try and keep the electrics going as long as probably on the trice but I may be back to dead slow 🐌soon
the slower you go the more you see

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24667 on: 23 June, 2021, 01:27:01 pm »
Set out planning for >100k, got a hefty dose of CBA syndrome at ~15k, turned round and came back. Been in a foul mood since.

rogerzilla

« Reply #24668 on: 23 June, 2021, 09:22:51 pm »
Took Miss Z the elder to taekwondo and went out for a ride on the Brompton while she was in there.  Only one chav in a car shouted "POOF!" at me, which is pretty good for Swindon.

« Reply #24669 on: 25 June, 2021, 06:44:32 pm »
Swindon serves a useful purpose by making Portsmouth look good. ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #24670 on: 26 June, 2021, 08:11:53 pm »
Decided on riding today as the weather looks iffy tomorrow, but still got caught in a shower first thing! Picked up the Upper Thames audax route south of Bampton (Oxon) and followed it to Wheatley, except for a short cut between Stoke Row and Greys Court. A40 cycle path back to Witney from Wheatley. About 132km. Great to get over to the Chilterns again in good weather.

« Reply #24671 on: 26 June, 2021, 10:32:54 pm »
I had a slightly late start to my ride, I needed to do some shopping and then couldn’t find my pump. Eventually I fetched an old one from the shed and got going a bit before midday. About 40km in I remembered where I’d put the pump - in the frame bag!

One the first bit of lanes I saw several old cars, including a couple stopped to help another one out.

Then I got to Burgess Hill. I don’t normally ride through a town if I can go round, and this reminded me why. I had two cases of pedestrians so desperate to walk out in front of me that they caused cars to stop. Then I got routed into a building site - and had to find a different way as they weren’t impressed with my presence. (They were on a break, not actually doing any building.) There was a big fence blocking the way in any case.

Then, heading north, I found a roundabout where my exit was closed for more building. So now I was on an A road, with roadwork barriers to my left. Just before the cars from the next phase of the lights got to me I found a lane parallel to the one I’d planned on and made a hasty exit through the queueue.

This then turned into a really nice lanes and tracks ride, to Warninglid, not quite to Horsham, then south to Partridge Green - roads I rarely ride. I stopped for coffee and cake in the bike shop cafe. I’d had to add air to my back tyre a couple of times - not bad enough to stop and really fix it, but not ideal. They didn’t have the same sort of tubeless goo as I’d used, so it stayed that way.

Then more lanes and tracks, and another set of roadworks. This time a bridleway with a big fence across it. Plan B was nice, but I did end up going a bit further than I’d planned!

Over the downs at Chanctonbury to Cissbury Ring was steep and damp chalky enough that I had to push some. There were a couple of quite lively horses at the Ring. Then down to Worthing, pushing a bit more when it got looser and stonier than my 31c tyres were suited to.

Worthing was as delightful as I remember, but Lancing provided ice cream and water. Then steady along the coast cycle route to Shoreham where they were opening the lock to let some boats through.

Brighton was moving into night out feel by now (after 7), but not pissed up. From here it was a steady and familiar ride to home, with another water top up at Housedean Farm.

111km in 8 hours 15, including an hour and forty of pumping, re-routing, waiting for boats and eating.

« Reply #24672 on: 26 June, 2021, 10:33:32 pm »
Out for 56kms on the folder this morning (finished at 2pm all the same). There was an objective in all this in that I wanted to test the seat post mod to see if the seat post still disappears when riding on bumpy surfaces. The original idea revolved around a couple of hours and about 20kms just to test if it all works but it was a nice day and I got a bit carried away. Took a few pictures, avoided lots of tourists, slogged up a few hills. Finished a bit knackered!

Nice ride, all the ideas worked out well and the bike felt good (apart from the damn saddle which got me a bit sore at the end. Still it was a cheap saddle recycled from one of Cat's old cast-offs. Now I need to fix up a bottle carrier, over three hours was a bit far to go without water. I am still really enjoying this folder lark. It would be nice to use it for my 100 in 3 weeks time but I don't think the fitness allows for that sort of adventure yet.

Ed: Forgot to say this is quite the furthest I have been on the folder. I am beginning to see the potential in the beast! (even if I am not very quick on it yet)

Ed 2: Every cyclist I met acknowledged my greeting (vocal for some, just a wave of the hand for the others) until on the return leg I met a couple on e-bikes; they were very snooty and ignored me completely. If that's the future of cycling I will be sticking to my car for a while yet!

« Reply #24673 on: 26 June, 2021, 10:49:14 pm »
A windy and hilly loop from Lockerbie on the tandem today round by Eskdalemuir and Langholm. Such quiet roads, it was superb.  My first visit to the village hub cafe in Eskdalemuir, and I highly recommend it. I've always stopped at Samye Ling on previous trips but after the slog into the strong wind from Lockerbie we were more than happy to skip that extra 2km.
We'll head down here again, it was a superb day out.

rogerzilla

« Reply #24674 on: 27 June, 2021, 09:02:21 am »
I took the Brompton S6L out for its first proper run since the total rebuild over the last couple of weeks.  34 miles, 17mph out and 16mph back.  The gears are really well-spaced with 16-17% jumps between them.  I'm running 52T up front and 13/15T at the back on the SRAM hub.  Most of the time, I leave the hub in direct drive and just swap cogs back and forth.