Author Topic: Rear carrier?  (Read 3362 times)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
Rear carrier?
« on: 24 October, 2008, 10:20:34 pm »
Got a 2008 model 6 speed 2nd hand. Has the "S" style bars but is a 6 speed. Has a little wheel on the rear mudguard and when I tried to fit the rear crrire that I bought today (Genuine Brompton part) it will not go on the bike, mainly as this little wheel is in the way. Does that mean I need to buy a different rear mudguard?

p.s.  Folding World
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

border-rider

Re: Rear carrier?
« Reply #1 on: 24 October, 2008, 10:28:13 pm »
Doesn't the mudguard mount come off ?

My (replacement) guard has 2 holes in - presumably for the little wheel to fit.  The models with a rack usually have the wheels on the mountings on the rear triangle

ps good website :)

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #2 on: 24 October, 2008, 10:30:58 pm »
Looking at it I think the wheel will come off. I don't think it'll be right still as there is normally a little tab on the mudguard to fit the rack to at the rear isn't there?
Speaking from memory of past Bromptons so I could be wrong!
Also the rack only has three supports where there should be four!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 24 October, 2008, 10:32:41 pm »
I'll have to have a look at mine tomorrow...can't recall how it fits.

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #4 on: 24 October, 2008, 11:10:30 pm »
Managed to sort it, sort of.... ! Took the ickle wheel off and the rack fits. Still not too happy as it doesn't fix the rear of the mudguard to the rack like the past ones I had. I might be able to fangle a small bracket to sort that out. Bit miffed that one of the rack mounting arms wasn't there when I got it. Will have words with the dealer and try to work that out.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 25 October, 2008, 06:36:05 am »
The rear mudguard is different between the racked and rackless models.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #6 on: 25 October, 2008, 10:46:21 am »
I am a bit Gobsmacked here.
The rack itself cost £48-00. I spoke to the LBS this morning and he told me that all the aftermarket ones he has fitted only had the Three legs.  As for the roler wheels that have been standard on all my past bikes, he has them in stock at £14-85 for the pair!
I have to say that I thik Brompton are Taking advantage with their prices here and I am not best pleased.

« Reply #7 on: 26 October, 2008, 07:28:10 pm »
Got a 2008 model 6 speed 2nd hand. Has a little wheel on the rear mudguard and when I tried to fit the rear crrire that I bought today (Genuine Brompton part) it will not go on the bike, mainly as this little wheel is in the way. Does that mean I need to buy a different rear mudguard?

Yes.

Brompton rear mudguards come in two flavours:
L: No rack (with little wheel)
R: Rack Compatible

See examples e.g. here.

Tal.

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #8 on: 26 October, 2008, 08:48:20 pm »
Cheers Tal.
I'll look into the new mudguard thing but I managed to take the little wheel off mine and I think I can put a small bracket in it's place to attach the mudguard to the rack as I want to.

« Reply #9 on: 26 October, 2008, 09:06:20 pm »
I've just taken the rack off my SL6 and fitted a new rear mudguard, the guards do differ. If you're fitting a rack then you'll need this type - it does away with the stays and instead bolts onto the rack to keep it in place. The rack should have wheels of it's own, so there's no need for one on the mudguard. I'll send you my old mudguard if you like! Hope this helps.

p.s. SJS Cycles stock a comprehensive selection of Brompton parts.

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #10 on: 28 October, 2008, 09:39:29 pm »
Cheers TOKaMaK,
Managed to bodge it pretty securely for now. Thinking of a change to the 8 speed hub from Kinetics so I'll do the mudguard at that time, if I do it.