Author Topic: Recommend a sleeping bag for Wales during January  (Read 7788 times)

Re: Recommend a sleeping bag for Wales during January
« Reply #25 on: 05 February, 2017, 09:03:47 pm »
I've got a rab and alpkit mummy down bag but I hate them because I can't turn over in them, great for bike packing because they pack down well though.

Mountain Equipment solved this problem with the Dreamcatcher: A not-quite rectangular down bag with an elasticated leg section that pulls it in to mummy shape (and warmth) by default, until you move your legs apart which it expands to accomodate.  This is utterly brilliant, particularly if you're a wriggler or have a knee that occasionally needs moving through its range of motion to stop it from hurting.  So naturally they stopped making them.   >:(

Until last year I had a Dreamcatcher; it was a lovely bag but unfortunately when my van was attacked I had it over me and they pulled it off through the window they smashed and took off with it.  I guess they mistook it for clothing and I never got it back. >:(

A few times I have got into into it with wet kit either wearing or just alongside and got it well dry by morning. 

The best replacement I could find is the Mountain Equipment Titan 425 which I just got cheap from:

this place

Haven't tried it yet but it looked good at that price.

Move Faster and Bake Things

Re: Recommend a sleeping bag for Wales during January
« Reply #26 on: 06 February, 2017, 02:34:21 pm »
Don't men generally have a slightly higher body temperature than women?
I doubt you'll be able to come to a good answer on body temperature or thermal equilibrium grounds.
Medical research type people have a thing for testing pain thresholds where they dunk your hand in icy water and see how long you can stand it, and how much you say it hurts. Apparently women report more pain and don't last so long as men (as reported by whatever gogglebox program it was a few months back).