Author Topic: CX/Tracks 'Audax-like' ride...  (Read 9868 times)

CX/Tracks 'Audax-like' ride...
« on: 17 March, 2017, 01:15:39 pm »
I noticed this commercial event...   The Distance  2 Days - Galloway - Scotland  June 10th & 11th 2017 https://www.thedistance.cc/  Organised by KinesisUK.

Not thinking of doing it, but noticed it had some features of an Audax nature...

Self Supported

Along the way, a brevet card will be completed and they will be encouraged to note key points of interest – proof (if needed) that they have travelled that route.

The end goal is an overnight camp … pack your sleeping bag and shelter.

£60 entry not so Audax though...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Track ride with Audax features...
« Reply #1 on: 17 March, 2017, 01:19:11 pm »
I thought you meant velodrome...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Re: CX/Tracks ride with Audax features...
« Reply #2 on: 17 March, 2017, 01:20:28 pm »
trying to imagine that...   :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
Re: CX/Tracks 'Audax-like' ride...
« Reply #3 on: 17 March, 2017, 02:05:19 pm »
Bit like the Mountain Marathons (KIMM/Robert Saunders) that I participated in in the 80s.

Polaris have done it before (IIRC) MTB orienteering with an overnight camp.

It grabs my interest - if only I had the time.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 18 March, 2017, 01:11:31 pm »
Apart from validation, what do you get for your £60? Are they building the trails for you?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #5 on: 18 March, 2017, 02:26:59 pm »
Apart from validation, what do you get for your £60?
Camping, manned check points, hot meal and drinks on Saturday evening, hot showers, covered social area with bar, music etc.
It's not my sort of thing, but if it was the cost wouldn't put me off.  If I were to do two Audax in a weekend, then pay for camping and a meal in between there might not be such a difference. OTOH there's those were I can camp a couple of nights for free, stuff myself with enough food to last a week, do a DIY home and still have change from a twenty :thumbsup:

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #6 on: 18 March, 2017, 02:37:06 pm »
At the other end of the country, I spotted this :

https://plymouth.rocketsandrascals.com/collections/events/products/trans-kernow-2018

It seems audax-like events are quite popular. I wasn't sure if I was sufficiently 'worn by grit and time'. One out of two isn't bad  :)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 20 March, 2017, 09:22:59 am »
Apart from validation, what do you get for your £60?
Camping, manned check points, hot meal and drinks on Saturday evening, hot showers, covered social area with bar, music etc.
It's not my sort of thing, but if it was the cost wouldn't put me off.  If I were to do two Audax in a weekend, then pay for camping and a meal in between there might not be such a difference. OTOH there's those were I can camp a couple of nights for free, stuff myself with enough food to last a week, do a DIY home and still have change from a twenty :thumbsup:
Yup, that sounds well within the bounds of "reasonable".  :thumbsup:

(Forgive my cynicism - I've seen a lorrah lorrah horrific price-tags on bike-rides in the past few years ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles