Author Topic: Nexus 8 speed hub  (Read 3556 times)

vince

Nexus 8 speed hub
« on: 28 March, 2008, 08:12:14 pm »
Mine has started to make a graunchy noise. I guess it is what happens when you don't service it for a couple of years. My (not insubstantial) LBS freely admitted that they had not dealt with one yet, but said they would have a go.

Should I be worried?

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
Re: Nexus 8 speed hub
« Reply #1 on: 28 March, 2008, 09:55:05 pm »
Contact "Wheelbase" a bunch of good cycle people in Staveley, Cumbria.
They have a mechanic that knows everything there is to know about hub gears and he is happy to talk.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 29 March, 2008, 10:02:10 am »
I seem to remember that when I bought mine there was an exploded diagram and lots of maintenance instructions.

Have you consulted Sheldon?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #3 on: 31 March, 2008, 09:52:08 am »
Is the problem just in some gears?

Slipping and noise in 4th gear (and others if tension is really out) normally means that the gear cable tension is incorrect. Try adjusting the gear cable tension so that the two yellow lines line up in the "window" on the top of the hub? You need to be in fourth gear to make this adjustment.

Owner of a languishing Langster

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #4 on: 31 March, 2008, 01:40:42 pm »
You might also want to check here. Lots of useful information from hub gear hacking nerds. A great resource.

http://hubstripping.wordpress.com/nexus-inter-8-shimano/
Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #5 on: 02 April, 2008, 09:59:43 pm »
Thanks for the links, chaps - I've got a Subway 8 for commuting/general hack bike duties, so they might come in handy.  :thumbsup:

Though I'm contemplating turning it into a fixie or not-quite-road-legal singlespeed if the rear hub dies, as there are no disc or cantilever braze-ons...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Chris N

« Reply #6 on: 02 April, 2008, 10:06:35 pm »
Though I'm contemplating turning it into a fixie or not-quite-road-legal singlespeed if the rear hub dies, as there are no disc or cantilever braze-ons...

How about a drum braked single speed hub?