Author Topic: Dog not drinking enough?  (Read 2077 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Dog not drinking enough?
« on: 20 June, 2017, 10:10:44 am »
Maybe I'm worrying too much but our dog doesn't seem to be  drinking much in the heat. I haven't compared to normal quantities, just a feeling that she should be drinking more.

Other than that there's nothing amiss, she's eating, keen to exercise etc..

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: Dog not drinking enough?
« Reply #1 on: 20 June, 2017, 12:31:26 pm »
I know cats don't drink much, but I have the same worry about Pete. The only way I can get him to drink is to poach some chicken and give him the cooled poaching water.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

ian

« Reply #2 on: 20 June, 2017, 12:51:34 pm »
Dog and cats get pretty much what they need from their food with occasional slurps, so says our vet, they don't per se sweat so don't lose moisture like sticky humans (and contrary to popular belief, humans don't need to go everywhere clutching a bottle of water on the grounds they might die of thirst on the 7.49 to Cannon Street). Bad Cat will only drink directly out of the tap, usually at the same time I plan to use the same sink, so I suspect that's just to annoy me.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #3 on: 20 June, 2017, 03:28:22 pm »
Charlie drinks much more freely than any other cat I've owned - enough that I mentioned it to the vet.  She merely checked that it was something he always did, and hadn't suddenly started doing, but seemed otherwise unconcerned, outlining the same reasons as Ian.  She also speculated that if he keeps up the habit, it might ease any kidney issues later in life. 
As long as you grant free access to water, she'll probably drink (or not drink) exactly as she needs.  We put trays of water around the garden for all comers, and keep them topped up with fresh water.  A scald with boiling every few days gets rid of algae and skeeter larvae.  Charlie will hoover great laps of it once or twice a day.  His diet is the usual mix of wet food and crunchies, along with whatever squeaky crunchy wildlife he's managed to butcher along the way.  I'm not sure whether frogs count as food or drink, but it didn't really stay down long enough to count...
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4 on: 20 June, 2017, 03:45:42 pm »
You've just reminded me to re-fill the large dog bowl in the garden.  Mainly used by birds atm, but probably various small mammals during the hours of darkness.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 20 June, 2017, 04:28:39 pm »
I keep a dog bowl in the workshop. They do use it, but this weather they mostly like just to come in and flop down on the cold concrete floor.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #6 on: 20 June, 2017, 08:43:22 pm »
Charlie drinks much more freely than any other cat I've owned - enough that I mentioned it to the vet.  She merely checked that it was something he always did, and hadn't suddenly started doing, but seemed otherwise unconcerned, outlining the same reasons as Ian.  She also speculated that if he keeps up the habit, it might ease any kidney issues later in life. 
As long as you grant free access to water, she'll probably drink (or not drink) exactly as she needs.  We put trays of water around the garden for all comers, and keep them topped up with fresh water.  A scald with boiling every few days gets rid of algae and skeeter larvae.  Charlie will hoover great laps of it once or twice a day.  His diet is the usual mix of wet food and crunchies, along with whatever squeaky crunchy wildlife he's managed to butcher along the way.  I'm not sure whether frogs count as food or drink, but it didn't really stay down long enough to count...

A sudden increase in thirst is an indicator of diabetes, which cats can suffer from, one of my son's carers has a cat that is affected
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens