Author Topic: Evangelizing Cycling  (Read 3244 times)

ABlipInContinuity

Evangelizing Cycling
« on: 03 November, 2008, 11:50:20 am »
Anyone else find themselves, at times, constantly thinking about how many ills can be addressed by cycling?

I'm sure the world would be a much nicer place if more people cycled. Inside I'm still boiling over with enthusiasm for it but around non-cyclists most the time I just stifle it as I really don't want to get into the "RLJ/don't pay road tax blah blah" debate.

Outside of cosmopolitan London, I guess we (as a nation) on the whole are just not sophisticated enough for it.

I should be off to have some fun now with the best kept secret/best invention ever! I'll find some excuse this week to get some more miles in ;)

Re: Evangelizing Cycling
« Reply #1 on: 03 November, 2008, 12:57:48 pm »

I'm sure the world would be a much nicer place if more people cycled.

Not necessarily. A fair proportion of the people on bikes on my commute route are twonks, and I don't think cycling is lifting them out of that state.

That said, at least they are fitter twonks and therefore costing everyone less in healthcare etc.  :thumbsup:

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #2 on: 03 November, 2008, 01:18:35 pm »
Everybody thinks that the "thing" they like/are obsessed with is the best and that everyone should do it. Its part of human nature.

In reality of course, we can't all be right ;)

All you can do is state your own case without rubbing anyone's nose in it. Evangelizing something doesn't always make it more popular - you ask Jehovahs Witnesses.
Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #3 on: 03 November, 2008, 01:23:28 pm »

Outside of cosmopolitan London, I guess we (as a nation) on the whole are just not sophisticated enough for it.

Erm, what exactly do you mean by that? I'm sure you're not trying to be obnoxious, but you're likely to get an sophisticated, digital, bop on the nose if you don't rephrase that.

Why on earth would other places be too unsophisticated to ride a flippin' bike? Or understand the arguments?

« Reply #4 on: 03 November, 2008, 01:30:53 pm »
I read the Op at work this morning and decided to wait before replying.

NO, it doesn't get any better. But then I'm part of the part of the nation that lives outside cosmopolitan London and isn't sophisticated enough to ride a bike.

Not sure I can live with the slur so may have to sell my bikes and start eating at McDonalds.

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #5 on: 03 November, 2008, 02:30:54 pm »
I made quite a huge generalisation based upon my experience of people in general.

Sorry.

I came back to edit this post, because I thought I should give some more qualification. I used the word sophisticated, a little "tongue-in-cheek". I find people are ignorant about cycling and this results in a number of manifestations:

- I work for an organisation that won't buy it's own cycle rack, but will rent extra parking spaces
- I was married into a family who thought the bicycle I used for daily transport was frivolous, where as spending time maintaining and money running a car that was mainly used for recreation was okay
- Recruitment consultants stop taking me seriously when they ask if I have a car and I answer no, so now I tell them that I do
- I'm deliberately vague in conversations with people I don't know that well about cycling because I feel, if I'm not careful, I'll get labelled a hemp-wearing tree-hugging left wing looney.

"Sophisticated" was possibly the wrong word.

Jezza

« Reply #6 on: 03 November, 2008, 03:12:31 pm »
My experience of life in the provinces of England has been primarily of Cambridge, Norwich and Ipswich, in which cities the inhabitants appear to have made good progress in grasping the concept of riding bicycles. In fact recent reports indicate that here in East Anglia some people have even started to walk upright without needing a wheelbarrow for support.

The only drawback I can see with increased numbers of cyclists is the corresponding increase of crashing bores evangelizing about how cycling makes them better people.     

« Reply #7 on: 03 November, 2008, 05:07:44 pm »
The only drawback I can see with increased numbers of cyclists is the corresponding increase of crashing bores evangelizing about how cycling makes them better people.     

So true.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #8 on: 03 November, 2008, 05:09:58 pm »
My experience of life in the provinces of England has been primarily of Cambridge, Norwich and Ipswich, in which cities the inhabitants appear to have made good progress in grasping the concept of riding bicycles. In fact recent reports indicate that here in East Anglia some people have even started to walk upright without needing a wheelbarrow for support.

I think that report was being a bit optimistic...  and certainly couldn't have included the residents of Kings Lynn!  :P
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

gordon taylor

« Reply #9 on: 03 November, 2008, 05:12:50 pm »
I used to evangelize about cycling at dinner parties. But my wife kicked me a lot under the table and we haven't been invited to any for a couple of years now.   :-[

« Reply #10 on: 03 November, 2008, 05:42:05 pm »
It's got a lot to do with money, education and status surely?

An impoverished resident of China with only a bicycle for transport will want to get rid of the bloody thing ASAP and buy a motorbike....and then a car....

A bit of a generalisation, but I think a lot of poorer people in this country view it the same way.  The benefits in terms of health and enjoyment are often ignored if it makes you look and feel poor.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11 on: 03 November, 2008, 06:10:58 pm »
It's got a lot to do with money, education and status surely?

An impoverished resident of China with only a bicycle for transport will want to get rid of the bloody thing ASAP and buy a motorbike....and then a car....

A bit of a generalisation, but I think a lot of poorer people in this country view it the same way.  The benefits in terms of health and enjoyment are often ignored if it makes you look and feel poor.

That's often held up as the reason ethnic minorities don't cycle much in the UK.  Your poor brethren back in India/Africa/Jamaica ride bikes, but you've made it, so you drive.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ian

« Reply #12 on: 04 November, 2008, 11:58:06 am »
Well, here in the badlands of south-east London, cycling is a bit left field. Most people around here tend to fall into the aspirational category, where the aim is to demonstrate your status and stunning life success with the biggest, baddest, most bling car you can borrow the cash for. My neighbours would eat their own children rather than trade their gleaming X5s for a bike.

Cyclists here fall into two broad categories - choosers, like myself, who cycle out of a choice rather than necessity, and those that don't have the choice, which tends to be the behooded yoof, the immigrants etc., who have bought a £5 BSO down the pub / market etc. and have little option other than to painfully squeak along the pavements. Not for them the tight caress of Madam Lycra, and the nocturnal pleasures of a couple of functioning lights. Choosers, needless to say, tend to be the nicely middle class folks, who pay their taxes, religiously recycle, and occasionally tut loudly. It's one of the oddities of the capital, that the posher an area is, the more 'proper' cyclists you get. It's a strong confounding factor when contemplating the improvements of getting more people cycling.

That said, when I stand by a nearby road junction waiting to cross, having to twist my head 320 degrees to try and take in the entire gamut of speeding and non-indicating traffic before I have to temerity to risk life and limb and step out into the road, I can't help but think how grim our obsession with the car has become. By way of contrast, I was crossing Tottenham Court Rd yesterday evening and a lady cycled by me with her two children in the front. It was dark and wet, but all three where grinning and evidently enjoying their progress. Such a contrast with the surrounding traffic. It made me smile too.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #13 on: 04 November, 2008, 12:40:29 pm »
I used to evangelize about cycling at dinner parties. But my wife kicked me a lot under the table and we haven't been invited to any for a couple of years now.   :-[

This sounds so familiar  ;D and is probably what prompted my comments above.
Owner of a languishing Langster

rae

« Reply #14 on: 04 November, 2008, 12:54:22 pm »
I used to evangelize about cycling at dinner parties.   

I don't need to evangelize.   As they are moaning about how long it takes to drive to work, I just grin and tell them it takes 15 minutes on a really bad day.   I then ask for seconds with some comment about food still being cheaper than petrol.

To be honest, I often have dinner with people who have big cars - X5s, Cayennes and Astons are not uncommon.   I don't think I've encountered any anti cyclist feelings amongst them.  They're generally a bit too bright to fall for the daily mail-esque "all cyclists jump red lights" line.   Instead you tend to get more practical questions about safety and what to do when it rains - however they don't really understand the answer "get wet" to the latter one.   Several of them express an interest when I mention that you can spend serious money on a bike....

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #15 on: 05 November, 2008, 09:58:21 pm »

I guess you wouldn't be missing anything!

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.