Author Topic: The "bikes you didn't like" Thread  (Read 7081 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: The "bikes you didn't like" Thread
« Reply #25 on: 14 November, 2008, 08:01:14 pm »
Ooh.

Raleigh Mayflower (I had it between 5 and 8 ): girly, although quite a nice purple colour.

Sun Solo (my parents decided I was growing and needed a 23.5" frame...I'm taller now and use a 21.5").  The headtube wasn't faced and the headset constantly loosened itself, it was a vile pale blue and a brake lever exploded the first time I rode it.  Eventually it was tamed with alloy wheels, a respray and a properly-fitted headset, and I used it for club runs of up to 80 miles.  I scrapped it a few years ago.

Thorn Nomad, just sold.  Reliable, but deeply uninspiring to ride and worth nothing like what it cost.  I could never get brakes that worked well; SE cantis were crap, V-brakes were great but had to be run so close to the rim that they rubbed on every climb, Oryx are just mediocre and tend to judder and squeal.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #26 on: 14 November, 2008, 08:16:30 pm »
A cheap, nasty and horrible 70's folder that my dad bought me and my brother on a special deal from the back of a sunday newspaper 'cause he was too tight to buy us proper bikes.

I hated the thing. I still rode it almost every day from one side of York to the other and back to see my mates.

Cant remember ( and dont care) what happened to it

mr_brooks

« Reply #27 on: 15 November, 2008, 09:00:53 am »
Cannondale "Bad Boy".

Silly name, and (for me) jarringly uncomfortable ride, despite various changes of tyres, handlebars, saddle, grips. Could never get on with it.

Stolen from Hanwell, West London. Mad as hell at the time - looking back, they did me a favour...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #28 on: 15 November, 2008, 09:14:29 am »
Stolen from Hanwell, West London.
Hmmm...better check the SEEKRIT BUNKER  ;)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

mr_brooks

« Reply #29 on: 15 November, 2008, 09:26:46 am »
Perhaps now locked to a Sheffield Stand  ;)

Interestingly, when the Bad Boy was stolen, it was locked to a home made "thing" (not quite sure what too call it) - a huge flowerpot filled with concrete, with a chain sunk into it. I was surprised that the weak link was the U Lock, rather than the chain.

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #30 on: 15 November, 2008, 09:28:51 pm »
A Raleigh RSW16 which convinced me that Dr Moulton's bikes were works of genius and never to touch a Raleigh again

A Specialized Crossroads Sport, circa 1992.  I was suspicious of mountain bikes, wanted a "rough stuff" bike and the knobbly tyres, 700C wheels and canti brakes looked just the ticket.  Unfortunately the tyres were extremely hard work on tarmac, the over-built forks transmitted every imperfection to my wrists, and it weighed a ton.  It became (as my garage bears evidence to) one of the few bikes I sold on.  I went back to rough stuffing on my Saracen Triathlon 531-framed bike with 28mm tyres.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #31 on: 17 November, 2008, 09:08:46 am »
A Raleigh Nova. A replacement for my BSA 'Tour of Britain' that was nicked.  The Nova was a horrible bike. It was only bought because I needed transport PDQ.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: 17 November, 2008, 09:26:11 am »
Stolen from Hanwell, West London.
Hmmm...better check the SEEKRIT BUNKER  ;)

I tell you what - if the old bill ever do stick their noses round the door of the SEEKRIT BUNKER, they're going to think we're either a community bike project or a den of thieves...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk