Author Topic: Radio recommendations  (Read 44492 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Radio recommendations
« Reply #25 on: 13 May, 2019, 08:30:49 pm »
Saturday afternoon's drama was the third Teodor Szacki mystery to grace the airwaves. He's a Polish Prosecutor, doing the investigation stuff. Written by Zygmunt Milosewszki, translated by  Antonia Lloyd Jones and produced by Mark Lawson off of the wireless. I enjoyed the previous outing, around a year ago, so will give this a go too.

Meanwhile, this coming Sunday sees a tribute to Jeremy Hardy on 4Extra, with his production of Dario Fo's "Acciodental Death of an Anarchist" featuring Adrian Edmonson, Jennifer Saunders, Jill Gascoine, Stephen Frost and Mark Steel.

There's more Hardy (not Thomas) stuff coming up.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #26 on: 16 May, 2019, 05:06:49 pm »
I've just finished listening to China Towns, a series of 11 plays based on the novels of Arnold Bennett. Historical drama set in the "five towns" (six in Real Life) which became Stoke on Trent.  Go and grab them off BBC Sounds.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #27 on: 16 May, 2019, 05:21:23 pm »
I've just finished listening to China Towns, a series of 11 plays based on the novels of Arnold Bennett. Historical drama set in the "five towns" (six in Real Life) which became Stoke on Trent.  Go and grab them off BBC Sounds.

Thanks. I'm a fan of his books so I'll definitely give those a go.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #28 on: 16 May, 2019, 08:23:29 pm »
I need to be following this thread.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #29 on: 17 May, 2019, 11:18:17 am »

And last night at 1830, Sandy Toksvig presented show 1 of 2 of "When Jeremy Hardy Spoke to the Nation".

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #30 on: 17 May, 2019, 12:48:55 pm »

And last night at 1830, Sandy Toksvig presented show 1 of 2 of "When Jeremy Hardy Spoke to the Nation".

I enjoyed this, but not as much as I'd expected. I like Sandy Toksvig, but I thought she was a bit intrusive. I also thought the chosen clips weren't the best, but maybe JH's work suffers more than some when fragmented/taken out of context?

Still, good enough.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #31 on: 18 May, 2019, 03:05:04 pm »
Saturday afternoon's drama was the third Teodor Szacki mystery to grace the airwaves. He's a Polish Prosecutor, doing the investigation stuff. Written by Zygmunt Milosewszki, translated by  Antonia Lloyd Jones and produced by Mark Lawson off of the wireless. I enjoyed the previous outing, around a year ago, so will give this a go too.

Part two is on this afternoon. Nearly finish so BBC sounds or get_iplayer are your friends.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #32 on: 20 May, 2019, 02:33:21 pm »
There's a Lee Hall series under way on 4 Extra.  First offering was broadcast today "I Luv You Jimmy Spud".  Starts off light hearted (our hero is a trainee Angel in Newcastle) but gets a bit dark as it goes on.

Tomorrow we've got "The Love Letters of Regie Patel", Wednesday sees "The Sorrows of Sandra Saint" and Thursday has the magnificent "Spoonface Steinberg".   

I'll have a hanky ready.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #33 on: 22 May, 2019, 08:58:56 am »
New series of John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme starts tonight at 1830, R4.

Meanwhile the 15 minute drama (1040 & 1945 R4) is the latest series of Gudrun. a "Viking epic of love revenge and faith", although as it's in Iceland shouldn't that be a "saga"?

Finally there's a series of Raffles on 4 Extra that I don't think I've head before, with Jeremy Clyde as AJ Raffles and Oliver Sterling Michael Cochrane as Bunny Manders. In a fit of coincidence, Mikchael Cochrane popped up half an hour later in something called Terminal Journals, a comedy set in a Victorian publishers.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #34 on: 22 May, 2019, 10:04:50 am »
We have a TV thread but not, as far as I am aware, a general one for radio. So here you go...

And I'll kick it off with a recommendation for the new series of Meet David Sedaris, starting on Radio 4 at 6.30pm tomorrow.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0003rk8

I know this will be good because I went to one of the recordings. He's very entertaining.
... and pretty unique, IMHO!

It helps when, in-your-head, you read it in the same voice and delivery as David.

Massive fan here.

I started reading one of his books last week. I was pessimistic, as his stage delivery is so brilliant - would the stories work on the quiet page? The answer so far is yes.
[I think it's called Lets Talk to Owls about Dyslexia - or something equally surreal.]
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #35 on: 22 May, 2019, 10:06:04 am »
^ It might help if my bon mot was sat outside the quote! Doh!!!

It helps when, in-your-head, you read it in the same voice and delivery as David.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

citoyen

« Reply #36 on: 22 May, 2019, 11:30:54 am »
New series of John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme starts tonight at 1830, R4.

Woo!

Finally there's a series of Raffles on 4 Extra that I don't think I've head before, with Jeremy Clyde as AJ Raffles and Oliver Sterling Michael Cochrane as Bunny Manders. In a fit of coincidence, Mikchael Cochrane popped up half an hour later in something called Terminal Journals, a comedy set in a Victorian publishers.

I started listening to that last night. Good, gentle fun. I thought that voice sounded familiar!

« Reply #37 on: 22 May, 2019, 11:53:16 am »
Ed Reardon's Week always makes me smile. Just checked and its in its 13th series!
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

citoyen

« Reply #38 on: 22 May, 2019, 01:34:13 pm »
Ed Reardon's Week always makes me smile. Just checked and its in its 13th series!

What's really interesting is listening to some of the older ones and realising how it has evolved over the years - very much changing with the times. Also following Ping's career progression from office junior to head of the agency.

« Reply #39 on: 22 May, 2019, 01:47:58 pm »
This weeks episode where he and Jaz Milvane took part in a scripted reality show was brilliant.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #40 on: 22 May, 2019, 02:06:33 pm »

I started listening to that last night. Good, gentle fun. I thought that voice sounded familiar!
Trivia time: EW Hornung, creator of Raffles, gentleman jewel thief, was the brother in law of Arthur Conan Doyle.

citoyen

« Reply #41 on: 22 May, 2019, 04:01:17 pm »
Trivia time: EW Hornung, creator of Raffles, gentleman jewel thief, was the brother in law of Arthur Conan Doyle.

Funnily enough, the episode I was listening to last night seemed to be somewhat 'inspired' by Sherlock Holmes - with Bunny believing his friend to be dead then being interviewed by a strange character who turns out to be none other than <redacted for spoilers! - ed>

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #42 on: 22 May, 2019, 04:55:58 pm »
Speaking of Ed Reardon's Week reminds me of this:

The story deals with the literary world that Gissing himself had experienced. Its title refers to the London street, Grub Street, which in the 18th century became synonymous with hack literature; by Gissing's time, Grub Street itself no longer existed, though hack-writing certainly did. Its two central characters are a sharply contrasted pair of writers: Edwin Reardon, a novelist of some talent but limited commercial prospects, and a shy, cerebral man; and Jasper Milvain, a young journalist, hard-working and capable of generosity, but cynical and only semi-scrupulous about writing and its purpose in the modern (i.e. late Victorian) world.

That's from the Wikipedia article about George Gissing's "New Grub street", published 1891. There was a Radio 4 adaptation a couple of years ago, adapted by a certain Christopher Douglas and featuring, umm, Christopher Douglas as Edwin Reardon.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #43 on: 22 May, 2019, 05:10:06 pm »
Meanwhile in what used to be the "Afternoon Play" slot this week sees a second series of "Keeping The Wolf Out" by Philip Palmer. It's Cold War era detective drama set in Hungary. Murder, intrigue, betrayal, that kind of stuff.

citoyen

« Reply #44 on: 22 May, 2019, 06:05:06 pm »
That's from the Wikipedia article about George Gissing's "New Grub street", published 1891. There was a Radio 4 adaptation a couple of years ago, adapted by a certain Christopher Douglas and featuring, umm, Christopher Douglas as Edwin Reardon.

I read that some years ago (before it was on the radio) and was much amused at discovering Christopher Douglas's source of inspiration. It's a superb book, highly recommended. Although the similarities between Edwin/Ed and Jasper/Jaz are fairly superficial.

« Reply #45 on: 29 May, 2019, 10:49:18 am »
Meanwhile the 15 minute drama (1040 & 1945 R4) is the latest series of Gudrun. a "Viking epic of love revenge and faith", although as it's in Iceland shouldn't that be a "saga"?

I don't know, but it does seem to be going on ... and on ... and on. Maybe it's just me, but it absolutely makes me want to pack my ears with snow so I don't have to hear Gudrun's (that's Guthrrrrrrrrun's) flat monotone, weak-Bjork-impersonating voice droning on.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #46 on: 29 May, 2019, 09:55:14 pm »

I don't know, but it does seem to be going on ... and on ... and on. Maybe it's just me, but it absolutely makes me want to pack my ears with snow so I don't have to hear Gudrun's (that's Guthrrrrrrrrun's) flat monotone, weak-Bjork-impersonating voice droning on.

It needs a certain mind set I find. It took me several goes to get through the last series (I had it downloaded).  Long motorway journeys seem to work best.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #47 on: 13 June, 2019, 09:18:13 am »
Just catching up on "The Write Stuff" on BBC Sounds.  Author of the week is Ernest Hemingway and for the set piece the guests provide Christmas round robin letters written in Papa's style.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #48 on: 13 June, 2019, 09:19:31 pm »
This Sunday evening sees another series of Anika Strandhed, chief of the Osli Police boat patrol. Scandi crime on the wireless.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #49 on: 14 June, 2019, 03:19:31 pm »
4 Extra are broadcasting a 1957 production of Rattigan's "The Browning Version" with dear, dear Johnny taking the role of Crocker Harris.  You could say it's the Gielgud Version of The Browning Version.  I've not heard this one before. I've got the Martin Jarvis production downloaded, which, I've just noticed, stars Joanne Whalley (little moment).