Author Topic: David Gordon Wilson  (Read 2021 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
David Gordon Wilson
« on: 11 May, 2019, 01:24:08 pm »
I have just learned that MIT's Professor David Gordon Wilson, co-author of "Bicycling Science", has died at the age of 91.  He once did me the honour of asking me to write a guest editorial for "Human Power", the IHPVA's technical journal.  I have no idea why.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Re: David Gordon Wilson
« Reply #1 on: 12 May, 2019, 12:13:19 am »
I read and failed to understand a borrowed copy of Bicycling Science many years ago when I was a PSO. My own copy hasn't brought much more understanding, but I'm still glad to have it.

RIP

« Reply #2 on: 14 May, 2019, 01:36:30 pm »
Quite saddened to hear this.  RPI.
I have soldiered through a few chapters of the book, though I needed a long break after a chapter ended talking about how everythign would change once they produce on-bike power meters.

Who will take the lead on the next edition of the book?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3 on: 15 May, 2019, 12:37:29 pm »
Quite saddened to hear this.  RPI.
I have soldiered through a few chapters of the book, though I needed a long break after a chapter ended talking about how everythign would change once they produce on-bike power meters.

Who will take the lead on the next edition of the book?

Sounds like a job for Paolo Baldissera, capo of the Turin Polytechnic University HPV team, editor of Human Power, Metallica fan and general Good Sort.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #4 on: 16 May, 2019, 08:28:34 pm »
His Boston Globe obit was an interesting read: https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/obituaries/2019/05/07/david-gordon-wilson-mit-professor-and-father-modern-day-recumbent-bicycles-dies/mJMiTTVyZEk67JykP8sq6I/story.html

It mentions that he'd just finished a draft of the 4th edition of Bicycling Science; hopefully that'll somehow make it to print.

« Reply #5 on: 18 May, 2019, 01:37:46 pm »
Is there an "in lieu of flowers" type thing for him?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace