Author Topic: The golden rule of being in a tent.  (Read 13928 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: The golden rule of being in a tent.
« Reply #50 on: 04 September, 2019, 10:26:53 pm »
Pitch next to lovely Germans - they'll be equipped with everything you might conceivably need and have forgotten. Including a fire extinguisher. Don't ask  :facepalm:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #51 on: 04 September, 2019, 10:32:29 pm »
Pitch next to lovely Germans - they'll be equipped with everything you might conceivably need and have forgotten. Including a fire extinguisher. Don't ask  :facepalm:

Yeah, but then you have to see them exercising in their tiny trunks outside your tent before you've managed your first coffee in the morning.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #52 on: 24 September, 2019, 08:14:28 am »
Particularly for wild camping. The presence of any one piece of equipment is inversely proportional to its necessity.

Or, if you need it for a successful trip it won't be there; if you don't, it will be deadweight in your rucsack.

And on the subject of deadweight, if you find yourself with an enthusiastic leader who sets a blistering pace it's always a good idea to put a sizeable rock in their pack at the earliest opportunity. It's also a good idea not to be around when they find it.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #53 on: 26 March, 2021, 11:00:12 pm »
Unashamed bump that this hilarious thread undoubtedly deserves.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #54 on: 26 March, 2021, 11:25:50 pm »
You pitch your tent on a nice flat bit of campsite by a fjord.
It starts to rain
You open the inner flysheet in the night to find the shoreline slowly advancing through the porch...

A lesson in glacial scour and drainage.

(moved the sleeping bags and hid in the toilets...)

« Reply #55 on: 27 March, 2021, 07:32:03 am »
Yes, but at least you weren't pining

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #56 on: 28 March, 2021, 10:30:11 pm »
In Norway many years ago I had visions of using the "allemansreet" (sp?) Which allows you to camp in the wild. The only place that was flat enough had two beehives on it. Even the proper campsites were on a slope. Saw a traffic roundabout once by a landing stage but decided to cross a cattle grid and camp in the wild. Later that night I found out what the cattle grid was for: the bloody cattle were interested in the tent and the bike.
Before I went I popped into my LBS and ordered brake pads to work well in the wet. Owner came to me and said when he was a lad he'd gone cycling in Norway and had to camp in s traffic Island as it was they only flattish place. It also trained every day for a fortnight so they decided then that all their cycling trips would be somewhere sunny with cheap beer.
Also, having spent every Monday night for three years trying to learn Norwegian I found that every single person there speaks good English.
Funny old world....

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #57 on: 28 March, 2021, 10:36:48 pm »
You need this phrase:
To øl takk min venn vil betale
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #58 on: 29 March, 2021, 01:52:57 pm »
Don't know if this has come up, always buy  a +1 tent. The extra space makes life bearable if the weather goes downhill.

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #59 on: 29 March, 2021, 04:29:23 pm »
You need this phrase:
To øl takk min venn vil betale
ha! While in Norway I forgo all alcohol Tim.

« Reply #60 on: 29 March, 2021, 09:41:53 pm »
Norway 🇳🇴 is expensive, met 2 german cyclists with a trailer 1/2 full of food and a few beers. Said they stocked up in Denmark 😄

Nick H.

« Reply #61 on: 30 March, 2021, 02:42:05 pm »
Do not leave your stinky shoes to air outside the tent, particularly on a Portuguese beach. A fox will pinch them and throw up in them.