Author Topic: 2023  (Read 30586 times)

Re: 2023
« Reply #25 on: 22 August, 2019, 06:59:36 pm »
The ride is a tough ask for a ''full-value'' audaxer, up against the time limits.

but, as you say, it's no fun.

Surely that's the whole point of it, by making sure there is much suffering and no fun is to be had under any circumstances, whatsoever!
It's all about the mental 'after burn' - it lasts for months!  :)

I was talking about finding  4 consecutive nights of night riding being grim. compounded by the sleep deprivation To avoid that I would need to train hard to improve speed and fitness, or improve my ability to sleep anywhere. With increasing age the motivation is likely to decrease, not increase.

I knew exactly what you were talking about Pete. You're describing me to a tee.   
Make no mistake, if you're a full value rider, it can be a real challenge to get round. And it can be very grim - especially later in the event where clock-watching can become all consuming.
For me, with increasing age [I'll be 64 next time around], I'll need to train hard just to get round in the manner you describe. I'll be doing well to do that. But that's the challenge. [And the afterburn satisfaction!]
I don't know for sure yet, but the motivation for me is likely to come from whether I 'still can' rather than looking to markedly improve performance etc
Garry Broad

bairn again

« Reply #26 on: 23 January, 2020, 01:37:52 pm »
Having DNFd last year at Villaines (on the way out :D) and suffering every km of the way due to illness I'm back firing on all cylinders now and have my audax mojo back.   

I just dont like the idea of my final visit having been a DNF and hell I will still be able to do it.     

I suppose that means I should organise a 1000km event in 2022.   :o 

« Reply #27 on: 23 January, 2020, 05:46:18 pm »
I'm planning on being there again in 2023 (and also 2027 and 2031 as I'm aiming at 10 PBP starts).

simonp

« Reply #28 on: 23 January, 2020, 06:09:59 pm »
If I want 10 starts, I'd have to continue to 2043, assuming no gaps. I'd be 71.

rob

« Reply #29 on: 23 January, 2020, 10:32:08 pm »
I can, in theory, get to 10 by the age of 62.  I think TG is one ahead of me and slightly younger.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #30 on: 23 January, 2020, 10:37:54 pm »
If I want 10 starts, I'd have to continue to 2043, assuming no gaps. I'd be 71.
81 for me, I fancy your chances more, not many finish in their 80s

With 10 finishes a somewhat unrealistic goal , I plan on finishing in each time limit group. 90hrs done, 80 next, then 84.

If I can get the places

Eddington  127miles, 170km

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #31 on: 23 January, 2020, 10:52:46 pm »
Hoping for 10 x PBP Randonneur here too. 2023 would be #7, so 2035 and 68. I wonder how the climate will have changed by then.

Doable with some luck, though the normal DNF rate and life’s misfortunes make a long run of PBP successes increasingly unlikely.

PBP DNF rates are fairly constant regardless of age for 18-69 folk. The big increase in DNF is for 70-79 folk and almost 100% DNF for 80+. I think only one or perhaps two 80 year olds have ever finished PBP.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #32 on: 23 January, 2020, 11:00:55 pm »

10x PBP would require me to make it to my 80's. I get the feeling that is unlikely. Gonna set my target on the marginally more attainable, 1x PBP...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #33 on: 23 January, 2020, 11:08:35 pm »
One lady has finished 9 x PBP solo and is planning on tandeming next time. I got a chance for a quick chat with Dierdre at Loudeac.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #34 on: 23 January, 2020, 11:14:20 pm »
10 finishes would be highly unlikely for me as I have only 4 finishes on 7 starts. Based on these stats I'd probably end up with 6 or 7 PBP finishes and 10 or 11 starts. I did my first PBP with 27, that makes it a bit easier.

rob

« Reply #35 on: 24 January, 2020, 08:24:53 am »
I have the benefit of doing my first at 26.   That and managing to keep riding without much interruption for the last 20 odd years.

« Reply #36 on: 24 January, 2020, 02:56:15 pm »
2023 could possibly be a tenth start and ninth finish for me and all being well I’ll be 59 then. I knew about PBP in 1983 when I was 19 but rode LEJOG as 1400km brevet instead. In 1987 I rode LEJOG again but faster and started PBP in 78 hour vedette group but DNF due coming off on a slippery descent early in the ride.

« Reply #37 on: 24 January, 2020, 03:25:44 pm »
I'm aiming for my second in 2023. By my fifth I'd be making PBP history and by my tenth they'd be re-writing medical history - I'd be over 100.

Phil W

« Reply #38 on: 24 January, 2020, 03:30:20 pm »
Came into audax too late for collecting 10 x PBP.  Did my first PBP aged 49. But a third outing in 2023 and hopefully a second success would be nice.  Definitely aiming to do my next PBP on my new recumbent now.

I’ve been doing a big audax a year since LEL in 2013.  But a bit more touring is also pulling at my heart. In fact 2022 will involve a tour instead of big audax.  But I am pursuing 10 x SR, which I think will materialise in 2023 all being well. Plus I’ll target a 600 in 2022 anyway as a PBP pre qualifier.

« Reply #39 on: 25 January, 2020, 04:47:31 pm »
I too am planning on trying to qualify and undertake my 2nd PBP, I'll be 60 then, no way I can reach the dizzy aspiration of 10, in fact I'm planning on doing a 3rd when I'm 64, but that is so far into the future who know's what may transpire, as far as finishing times go a sub 50hr at 60 years old would be good (putting into practice improvements from what I've learned this year), then at 64 years old try and time it for an Adrian Hands Society t-shirt.

However, at the end of the day who knows what will happen, LEL next first - hopefully.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #40 on: 25 January, 2020, 05:12:58 pm »
Maybe.  I would have done 2019 (which would have been my 4th) except both my boys had major exams which ruled out most qualifying events and the results came out during the actual event.  Having sat it out, I didn't miss it.  So the question will be, in 2023, will I do PBP or something different.  The boys will be 20 and 22 by then so my time may be more flexible.  Definitely planning LEL in 2021 having prepared fed 2000 cyclists twice in the previous 2 editions.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #41 on: 25 January, 2020, 07:10:19 pm »
the 2023 edition will be my fourth, if all goes well. as i'm riding the sr series every year anyway and would ride a 1000k+ audax in 2022, just to be sure i get to choose my favourite starting slot (provided the entry process doesn't change).

rob

« Reply #42 on: 25 January, 2020, 08:29:53 pm »
So a slight spin on this.  What would you do differently ?

Personally I was really pleased with my time and the amount of rest time I built in, but I’m now in a quandary.  I’m annoyed I didn’t stop and talk to people enough and I didn’t take a single photo.  I’ll be 50 next time and I don’t know whether to try for a better time or enjoy it more and take my time.

« Reply #43 on: 26 January, 2020, 10:23:37 am »
Maybe.  I would have done 2019 (which would have been my 4th) except both my boys had major exams which ruled out most qualifying events and the results came out during the actual event.
My eldest daughter took her GCSEs last summer but it didn’t really affect my cycling. Her results came out on the Thursday of PBP but I had finished early on the Wednesday evening. It’s a good job my daughter called me to tell me her results and not my wife because another woman answered my phone! It was my mate’s now ex-girlfriend who had unexpectedly traveled from the Netherlands to meet him after PBP. When I got back to the Huttopia campsite on the Wednesday evening she was pitching her tent on our pitch. I had no idea who she was at that point and was surprised that she knew my name. My mate didn’t finish until the Thursday afternoon and in the meantime most people assumed his girlfriend was my wife!
My wife and two daughters arrived on the Friday and we stayed in a wood cabin at Huttopia for a week as a very pleasant little family holiday.
By 2023 both of my daughters should hopefully have done their A levels and be at university so I should be in the clear for qualifying for and riding PBP.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #44 on: 26 January, 2020, 12:36:20 pm »
the 2023 edition will be my fourth, if all goes well. as i'm riding the sr series every year anyway and would ride a 1000k+ audax in 2022, just to be sure i get to choose my favourite starting slot (provided the entry process doesn't change).
Start in the earliest group, sleep monday at Brest (or book somewhere in Sizun) I felt good to carry on at carhaix but was worried there would be no beds by the time I reached Brest

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #45 on: 26 January, 2020, 12:54:53 pm »
I have the benefit of doing my first at 26.   That and managing to keep riding without much interruption for the last 20 odd years.

I did my first at 26 too!  Missing the next two then scuppered that advantage though.

Phil W

« Reply #46 on: 26 January, 2020, 03:41:22 pm »
So a slight spin on this.  What would you do differently ?

I’ll make sure I am using mould free water bottles after last year’s resulting sickness and DNF. My recumbent seat bag can also take a bladder so I might also take a 1.5 lite bladder in addition to bottles for the first night.

I spent a lot of time queuing in controls in 2015 and I’d like to reduce that in 2023.

As I’m planning on riding my new recumbent I’ll be starting in F , so that’s kind of fixed for 2023.

I've started wearing a HR strap again, this month ( after a long period ) and am getting good results limiting my max and min heart rates on long rides.  Not getting hungry, not fading, no slowing down over time. But virtually no freewheeling else my heart rate drops too low.  It has also kept my body at a nice steady temperature with no extremes of too hot then too cold. So I’d like to pursue this to see where it leads.

I’ve also noted that riding in a stronger group than I; my HR can drop 20 bpm with a 2 mph increase in speed.  So I’ll make more effort to sit in groups if they are suitably behaved.

I also feel my training has shifted to too much high intensity in last couple of years so am shifting more to the low / high intensity proportions of polarized training  advocated by Stephen Seiler. In 2015 I’d have scoffed at training but back then I had a daily cycle commute taking 90 minutes per day.  Time marches on and I no longer have that commute so training definitely necessary these days.

So some of the things I want to change for 2023 I’m already changing. Summarised it’s , improve fade resistance, more measured pacing, improve fat metabolism reducing how much I need to eat, reduce stop time at controls, make more use of groups.

I also rode down over two days from the ferry in 2015. Last year tried it in one day but got sicker and sicker on way down but pushed on towards Rambouillet as that was plan. So I’d like to return to a two day ride down again 2023 which is much more like touring and allows me to stop or slow down if I get sick again.

« Reply #47 on: 27 January, 2020, 12:12:32 am »
If When I do 2023 I will be 70, week off 71 and while I have done 50 odd 200s and a few 300s in the last 7 years I haven't yet gone beyond. Fortunately I am almost finished work and the Time&Date calculator says I have 1,301 days till PBP 2023 (assuming a Sun 20 Aug start?).

I have been wasting effort on some models, average speed, time at controls, eating, sleeping etc and as I am pretty full value I looks a bit daunting to keep up an adequate pace so have to work at everything, faster on bike, less time off bike.

So its push the distances up and actually "train", plan requires at least one SR this year else I am kidding myself. Performance on the longer distances will guide where to put the effort I suppose and the probability of converting the dream into reality.

I spent a lot of time queuing in controls in 2015 and I’d like to reduce that in 2023.

The queuing does concern me as I am not fast enough on the bike to allow time to queue. Other than the essential getting card stamped is it practical to otherwise skip a control if there are queues, will I find food etc elsewhere that will be faster.

Also I am fairly much a big sleeper so this is going to be something I have to train to better manage. Everyone is different I guess but is it best to plan (longer) sleep stops or just take shorter as needed.

I've started wearing a HR strap again, this month ( after a long period ) and am getting good results limiting my max and min heart rates on long rides.  Not getting hungry, not fading, no slowing down over time.

Fading is also something I have to work on, will look into a HR strap

This is not a "saddle" thread but I just have to find a saddle that will take me 1200 , I have many that will do for 100, 200 but not more, have tried all the usual suspects without finding "the" saddle so will have to have a proper fit to see if that helps.

2023, 2027, 2031, I don't think I will make it to 10 PBPs though but one would be nice.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #48 on: 27 January, 2020, 07:59:37 am »
I promise to actually be fit.

I will ride as a Vedette.

The weather will be great.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #49 on: 27 January, 2020, 10:20:05 am »
If When I do 2023 I will be 70, week off 71 and while I have done 50 odd 200s and a few 300s in the last 7 years I haven't yet gone beyond. Fortunately I am almost finished work and the Time&Date calculator says I have 1,301 days till PBP 2023 (assuming a Sun 20 Aug start?).

I have been wasting effort on some models, average speed, time at controls, eating, sleeping etc and as I am pretty full value I looks a bit daunting to keep up an adequate pace so have to work at everything, faster on bike, less time off bike.

2023, 2027, 2031, I don't think I will make it to 10 PBPs though but one would be nice.

Inspiring analysis Latestarter. Riding speed is less important than wasting time and being completely comfortable. There are loads of options to help save time. Good luck, it's worth the effort.
#makewattsnotwar